Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Here in Dublin I have to hunt around a bit and try various Easons (Swords Pavillions and Liffey Valley most reliable of the suburban hubs), but I haven't actually been disappointed yet - and certainly wasn't with last week's excellent Dante volume. For some reason I had remembered all the cringier comedy/booby stories from this one, but not the terrifically dramatic ones that they break-up. Really enjoying the gradual re-read, although increasingly amused at what I read as Robbie's response to our "back from the dead" griping, as characters seem to restate the formal casualty list every few pages, and Dante himself goes as far as to say "When will the people I kill stay dead".

Dandontdare

I'm collecting the Dante books - last time I preordered and then forgot and also bought in store and ended up with two - couldn't remember if I'd preordered the latest so I waited ... nothing has arrived, so I hope (fingers crossed) it's still available from FP

Tjm86

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 14 January, 2020, 01:10:47 PM

The final ABC Warriors volume (Volgan War part 2).

Final?  I doubt it with Mills' writing ....

Tomwe

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 January, 2020, 03:21:10 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 14 January, 2020, 01:10:47 PM

The final ABC Warriors volume (Volgan War part 2).

Final?  I doubt it with Mills' writing ....
I've asked on the FB page if they're gonna do more Warriors in the extension but am not holding my breath for a reply.

sintec

Quote from: Tomwe on 14 January, 2020, 03:55:09 PM
I've asked on the FB page if they're gonna do more Warriors in the extension but am not holding my breath for a reply.

I'd be surprised if we don't see the Return to * stuff in the extension but it'd be nice to get that confirmed

leethomson

The ABC Warriors volumes are the one group I've avoided reading so far - my only prior exposure to the strip was in the murky, co-written with Tony Skinner era, and it's not left a good taste in my memory. Is the series worth it?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: leethomson on 15 January, 2020, 10:21:01 AM
The ABC Warriors volumes are the one group I've avoided reading so far - my only prior exposure to the strip was in the murky, co-written with Tony Skinner era, and it's not left a good taste in my memory. Is the series worth it?

That's a hard one to answer - the tone changes so much across the decades!

The early Meknificent Seven (v1) era is old-school, juvenile, uncomplicated adventure in the style of Rogue Trooper and early Dredd. A bit clunky but a lot of fun.

Black Hole (v1-2) is sardonic, slinky, dark 80s 2000AD - witty and funny, lots of worldbuilding for Nemesis, lots of caption boxes and introspective first-person narration.

The Khaos/Tony Skinner era (v2-3) is polemic, preachy, a bit smug and pleased with itself but pretty gorgeous to look at, and also very funny.

The 'Henry Flint' era (v3-4, other artists were involved!) is quintessential early 2000s' Andy Diggle-era Tooth; fast-paced, tons of action, eyeball-searing artwork. The series puts down roots and starts working on some worldbuilding for itself, at last, which pays dividends.

Then the 'Clint Langley' era (v5-6, no other artists involved!) goes a bit 'wide-screen movie'; fewer panels, loads of splash pages, tons and tons of action; it also gets very introspective, with Mills going back and fine-tuning stories from earlier decades, filling gaps in the chronology or tweaking backstories. Very consistent but occasionally frustrating.

@jamesfeistdraws

leethomson

Dandontdare

Aaargh, FP shop is saying Dante vol 6 is out of stock - does anyone have a spare for sale before I brave the eBay gougers?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 January, 2020, 12:08:51 PM
Aaargh, FP shop is saying Dante vol 6 is out of stock - does anyone have a spare for sale before I brave the eBay gougers?

Yeah, the availability window seems to be really short for these, even if you go via FP rather than Hachette. Once a new book is out you're probably unlikely to be able to grab the previous one.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Sorry can't help but looking at eBay even there they seem to be ramping up. Cheapest I could see was £19.99 and not too many of those. They really are restricting the numbers it would seem and the popular issues are getting chased.

Dandontdare

There was one on ebay at £15 yesterday, but I'm going to pop into the actual shop on Saturday as they may still have one.

AlanProut

I really enjoyed ABC Warriors: The Volgan Wars Part 2, the story was fine but the artwork was fantastic just like in the first part, my issue itself was perfect, no mistakes on the spine art or the end papers, hopefully this will remain the same going forward.

As for the extension to the collection, I'd really like to see more from Kingdom and Stickleback, as for new additions any of the following would be good, Absalom, Defoe, Kingmaker, Survival Geeks and The Order.

davidbishop

FP Edinburgh had it in stock yesterday, for which I was very grateful - have only been buying the Dantes.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 January, 2020, 04:02:38 PM
There was one on ebay at £15 yesterday, but I'm going to pop into the actual shop on Saturday as they may still have one.

Ah buggeration - there were none in the shop, so I just ordered one for nearly £24 on ebay - then went back to FP website to preorder the rest and lo and behold - they must have found some down the back of the sofa, 'cos it's available at £11. I've contacted the seller, so can hopefully cancel. Very annoying