Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I quite liked the "REYders Of The Lost Ark" vibe to the opening shots too.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 October, 2019, 11:17:56 AM
I quite liked the "REYders Of The Lost Ark" vibe to the opening shots too.

Yeah, that's nice. It does look like we're off on another maguffin hunt (the map to Palpatine?), and I'm happy with that part, as it builds on Rey's scavvy background and mirrors the (alleged) plot of TFA, which is what these movies should be doing: referencing and building on themselves and not some 40-something nostalgiafest.

If we get a kind of Last Crusade thing (Rey as Indy, Ghost Luke as Henry, Poe as Salah, Finn as Brody, Kylo as... Elsa?) it could be fun.

And if as it now apeaea the Death Star ruins are just a stop along the way (ahh, Venice!) as opposed to figuring in the climax, that would be less irritating.

Tiplodocus

It looks like a training remote chasing her at start so it might be a training exercise.

The more I watch it, the more  am utterly gobsmacked by the visuals. How much processing power must it take to work out those fluid mechanics and render it all?

broodblik

After watching the latest trailer I feel more at ease and will try to see it the opening weekend.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

So watching it again over lunch,  it's not water that Star Destroyer is emerging from,  is it?  And then SPECULATION [spoiler]look at all the pointy triangular peaks on that ice-asteroid thingie..[/spoiler].

Tips is correct, the water modelling is insanely effective: way beyond anything I've seen before.

Frank

There are a couple of shots in there that expose the Marvel and Transformers aesthetic as vulgar and tacky, like a modern-day Mustang or the SUX-6000.

Which is what you'd expect from an ongoing concern founded upon production design that made contemporaries, like Logan's Run, look silly. The director's first 'Wars looked pretty bog-standard*; maybe someone's been put in charge of maintaining visual continuity across the films.

Top observation regarding the Raiders intro; the sustained chord** of the outro sounded familiar, too.

* Better than the prequels, obviously   ** Piano Forte-second-long sustain

TordelBack

hah ,good catch! 

Been doing some ruminating, and I think my main problem with this trailer is that it fails to tell me a story, preferring to show me familiar stuff... but turned up to 11.  Even as a big fan of TLJ it was clear that the end of that film left a gigantic blank in terms of what would happen next.  At one level I was delighted by this - uncertainty! Potential! Alas, this trailer doesn't really give me many pointers in that direction. Rey and Kylo's relationship appears to be in stasis, Poe and Finn have been rebuilding the resistance, but as to the rest...

Who is doing what to who here? When last we left them, the First Order had taken two or three massive kickings in succession, but as they appeared to have hit the Republic (TFA) and the Resistance (TLJ) far worse blows they looked to still be ahead on points. So why do we appear to be building to a big fight between the galaxy's Skywalker-renewed hope and a revenant Palpatine and a secret fleet of old-timey Star Destroyers? Where has Supreme Leader Ren's First Order gone? Wasn't that what they were fighting in the last two films? Is this a three way fight now? 

This kind of mess is perfectly acceptable, even desirable, as a tease for a first or second film, but if you want me to get all emotionally engaged in a climactic last battle with sweeping elegiac soundtrack, I really think I should know who's fighting and what the stakes are. Han and Luke are already dead, tragically Leia won't be doing much, so explain what's happening to these recent characters and why I should care! This trailer seems to assume I already know.

IndigoPrime

Wasn't the entire resistance effectively on the Falcon by the end of TLJ? Or was I misreading things?

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 October, 2019, 01:28:53 PM
It looks like a training remote chasing her at start so it might be a training exercise.

The more I watch it, the more  am utterly gobsmacked by the visuals. How much processing power must it take to work out those fluid mechanics and render it all?

Well, it is from a film studio which was built from animating liquids (I count four in that short video)...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sheridan on 22 October, 2019, 08:24:12 PM
Well, it is from a film studio which was built from animating liquids (I count four in that short video)...

More like the studio that was developing and producing CGI X-Wings in 1978 that almost made it into The Empire Strikes Back.

Disney's the new owner but Lucasfilm is the studio – they have a particular set of skills.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 October, 2019, 08:10:57 PM
Wasn't the entire resistance effectively on the Falcon by the end of TLJ? Or was I misreading things?

It was, but some time has passed and the legend of Luke facing down the whole First.Order with a laser sword has given the galaxy hope again. Leia refers to their surviving allies in TFA, but they were too mired in despair to come to their aid: that has changed, and Poe & Co have rebuilt.  That much I'm good with.

My problem is wondering what's happened to the First Order to make Palpatine's secret mothballed fleet the big unifying threat: wasn't the FO already minutes from total control of the galaxy at the start of TFA?

Tiplodocus

Those look like First Order troopers being shot as they run down the corridor. But couldn't make out ships anywhere.

That's a lovely line from Threepio. Can't help but think he's saying it to the wrong people though.

TordelBack

Totally! I choose to believe he's talking about Chewie, R2 and maybe BB8.

Currently I'm wondering how the Emperor's throne room, set on the top of an incredibly spindly largely-hollow observation tower, managed to survive the Death Star's destruction pretty much intact (chair still in place!), enter an atmosphere and land right-way up. It'll be even more puzzling when it turns out this watery place isn't even on Endor.

JOE SOAP

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 October, 2019, 01:15:10 PM
George Lucas Reacts to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Final Trailer

The only way you can tell that's a DeepFake is the hair isn't luxuriant, elaborate or high enough. There aren't enough terabytes on Earth.

Brilliant, though, and very funny. I especially loved the paraphrasing of Dick Nixon's departing address.