Main Menu

Best 2000AD Full color comics outside Dredd

Started by seitani, 28 August, 2019, 06:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seitani

What are best full color 2000AD comics outside Judge Dredd. Can be either recolored classic story/book or original.

For example: Nemesis The Warlock: Deviant Edition.

WhizzBang

The entire run of Nikolai Dante is full colour and is great.

seitani

Quote from: WhizzBang on 28 August, 2019, 06:25:51 PM
Thanks i'll have to check that out.  :)

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Quote from: seitani on 28 August, 2019, 07:00:56 PM
Quote from: WhizzBang on 28 August, 2019, 06:25:51 PM
Thanks i'll have to check that out.  :)

This is the right answer.

Though The Adventures answer is also good - Check out Lawless as evidence of this.

I'd also recommend Kingdom as a new but classicly definative 2000ad strip.

TordelBack

Of the newer stuff, The Fall of Deadworld (Dave Kendall) boasts some extraordinary colour art, as does Scarlet Traces (D'Israeli) and the freshest of blooms, Thistlebone (Simon Davis). Brink (Ian Culbard) also makes brilliant use of colour.

But for the fullest of full colour, try The Zaucer of Zilk (Brendan McCarthy)

Rogue Judge

Strontium Dog (once Alpha returns, some color in SD vol 5 and all volumes afterwards, including The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha onwards). Consistent Carlos Ezquerra art, all in color, words by John Wagner.

More recent picks: Kingdom, Jaeger, Glimmer Rats, and War Machine.

I agree that B&W can sometimes be better, see Lawless as reccomend by Colin - a must!

broodblik

I have recently r-read Shakara and the art is just brilliant but also in BW
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 29 August, 2019, 03:37:26 AM

Well with the odd moment of red.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 August, 2019, 06:14:06 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 29 August, 2019, 03:37:26 AM

Well with the odd moment of red.

With a splash of blue as well
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

seitani

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 29 August, 2019, 03:18:21 AM
Strontium Dog (once Alpha returns, some color in SD vol 5 and all volumes afterwards, including The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha onwards). Consistent Carlos Ezquerra art, all in color, words by John Wagner.
Is it 2000AD ultimate collection strontium dog vol 5 or is there agency files vol 5?

IndigoPrime

He's referring to the Agency Files. In terms of the Rebellion books, about half of The Final Solution is in colour, and then so are all of the subsequent books (which begin as a soft reboot, then start 'filling the gaps', and then essentially retcon the aftermath of The Final Solution). However, don't dismiss B+W. Some of 2000 AD's non-colour books have stunning art. Early Nemesis wouldn't have benefitted from colour, to my mind. (Personally, I wish other publications would follow suit. I'd love to see a V for Vendetta with just B+W art. And in my 'become a billionaire' world, I'd like to see Zenith Phase 4 reverted to B+W, and also the non-Yeowell pages redrawn by the man himself!)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 August, 2019, 09:59:42 AM
However, don't dismiss B+W. Some of 2000 AD's non-colour books have stunning art. Early Nemesis wouldn't have benefitted from colour, to my mind.

Simplistic as most of the stories are, the B&W work of Gibbons, Kennedy and Wilson, in particular, on early Rogue Trooper is frequently stunning.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

I've never really understood the drive for colour. Some stories just seem suited to B+W art. I'll admit that despite owning every volume of Usage Yojimbo, I'm a bit twitchy about its shift to painted art under IDW. (I have a few colour volumes – those hardback GNs – but I prefer Sakai's black and white art by some margin.)

TordelBack

Obviously I heartily agree with all these points, B&W art is a thing of grossly undervalued beauty, but by promoting it here on a thread specifically requesting colour recommendations we do run the risk of sounding like the kind of self-satisfied unhelpful knobs Facebook etc. accuses us of being...

Don't tase me, bros.