Main Menu

Essential Judge Dredd America trade

Started by milstar, 08 March, 2021, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

I couldn't find a thread where I'd appropriately ask this question, but is anybody know what stories/progs are contained in this trade? I just noticed it on amazon, perhaps I'll buy it, although I read all Dredd stories up to America (I noticed on Amazon sample Letter from Democrat and Revolution arc).
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

IndigoPrime

Letter from a Democrat (460)
Revolution (531–533)
Politics (656)
America (Meg 1.01–1.07)
The Evil you Know (750–753)
Twilight's Last Gleaming (754–756)
Cover to 756
Colin MacNeil sketches (three pages)

All in full colour. (Sally Jane Hurst does a good job on the old B+W strips.)

Rogue Judge

It's a really great collection, highly recommended. Nicely ties together the plot threads leading up to America and the subsequent events.

milstar

Thanks.

I think I'll probably get it. Despite that I already have books with some of these stories in (CCF10&11 and America).
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Rogue Judge

I also have the Case Files, but find having it collected together, in color, oversized, makes it worthwhile.

Also recommend the Essential Apocalypse War if you don't have it. All in color and oversized!

AlexF

The thing is, and of course it couldn't all fit into this one trade, but to really get into the Dredd/Democracy thing you kind of need to read all the build up to Necropolis, and then the post-Necropolis story 'Nightmares', which is where they set up the idea that there's going to be a vote at all.
There's a case, maybe, for suggesting they should've included at least 'Letter to Judge Dredd' and 'Nightmares' in a collection like this (especially as they were in colour anyway!)

milstar

Damn, I feel now confused.

Judging from Indigo Prime's post, they did not include Cadet and whatisname the second story from America trade, which are sequels to America arc.

IndigoPrime

Depends what you're trying to collect and what's important to you, really. If you're getting the Case Files and have America, the Essentials book is somewhat redundant, unless you want that specific arc in a single volume. But for newcomers, it seems like a solid entry point into one of the most important pieces of Judge Dredd history.

Lorenzo

Quote from: milstar on 09 March, 2021, 10:25:59 AM
Damn, I feel now confused.

Judging from Indigo Prime's post, they did not include Cadet and whatisname the second story from America trade, which are sequels to America arc.

I had the same question a while back. If you are looking for a collection, outside of the case files, that has the missing stories:
'Fading of the Light', 'Cadet' and 'Judgement Call', then you'll want the US TPB of America from 2015.
It's OoP but still around if you look hard. It has this cover:

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Lorenzo on 09 March, 2021, 11:47:06 AM
I had the same question a while back. If you are looking for a collection, outside of the case files, that has the missing stories:
'Fading of the Light', 'Cadet' and 'Judgement Call', then you'll want the US TPB of America from 2015.

Better to get the Mega Collection America book. Hardback, and you get an extra three stories, plus a lot easier to track down!
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Yeah. It was three quid originally and so can be a tough sell for people who aren't taking the piss—although that obviously doesn't stop people listing the thing with rather... ambitious start prices.

Lorenzo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 March, 2021, 11:52:42 AM
Quote from: Lorenzo on 09 March, 2021, 11:47:06 AM

Better to get the Mega Collection America book. Hardback, and you get an extra three stories, plus a lot easier to track down!

I keep forgetting about the Hachette collections as they are only available in the UK/Ireland, which isn't much use to me. The extra stories also have nothing to do with the America arc, but fair point about easier to track down!

Rogue Judge

I don't mind double dipping a bit to get new collections, I'm sure we've all done it...I have the America TPB too, and still appreciated the Essential collection.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 09 March, 2021, 02:35:19 PMI'm sure we've all done it...
When those OS HCs of Nemesis kept coming back into stock in the 2000 AD store, I was a whisker away from triple dipping on the first one. I managed to stop myself, fortunately.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 March, 2021, 03:21:19 PM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 09 March, 2021, 02:35:19 PMI'm sure we've all done it...
When those OS HCs of Nemesis kept coming back into stock in the 2000 AD store, I was a whisker away from triple dipping on the first one. I managed to stop myself, fortunately.

Where do you get the willpower? Well done, more creds for new thrills. I try not too, but there a few things I'd not flinch at, such as hardback collections of Strontium Dog (ala the Mek Files) OR re-releasing the first 11 Case Files with color spreads reinstated on new paper.