Main Menu

Sandman TV series coming to Netfix

Started by rogue69, 29 January, 2021, 09:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 January, 2021, 04:03:56 PM
Lucifer TV certainly ends up a long way from either Gaiman or Carey versions, but starts from the same place: an abdicated freshly-wingless Lucifer running a nightclub called Lux with Mazikeen as his doting lieutenant, and crossing over with the other DCTV shows so certainly intended to be an adaptation of thst character.

OK, that makes sense.  It counts.

Now.  Am I the only one that is being reminded of Tilda Swinton as Gabriel in the Constantine movie when discussing this?  She is one massive reason I rewatch that film, even though her screen time is pretty brief.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pictsy on 31 January, 2021, 05:51:58 PM
Am I the only one that is being reminded of Tilda Swinton as Gabriel in the Constantine movie when discussing this?

Nope. More or less my first thought when I read the casting announcement...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pictsy

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 January, 2021, 06:22:06 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 31 January, 2021, 05:51:58 PM
Am I the only one that is being reminded of Tilda Swinton as Gabriel in the Constantine movie when discussing this?

Nope. More or less my first thought when I read the casting announcement...!

That's cool :)

rogue69

pictsy

Hmm, so is this just going to adapt the comic verbatim?

wedgeski

Quote from: pictsy on 27 September, 2021, 08:38:29 PM
Impossible to tell from one teaser, but I wouldn't have expected this pivotal scene to deviate from the source either way.

pictsy

Quote from: wedgeski on 28 September, 2021, 08:59:49 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 27 September, 2021, 08:38:29 PM
Impossible to tell from one teaser, but I wouldn't have expected this pivotal scene to deviate from the source either way.

I'm surprised this scene is here at all.  It's far from unusual for adaptations of this sort to just do their own thing and cherry pick bits and pieces from the source.  It makes me a little more curious how they are going to go about this adaptation, but yes, one teaser doesn't tell us much.

sheridan

A quote from Gaiman (when forced) told the story of Sandman in 25 words or less: "The Lord of Dreams learns that he must change or die, and makes his decision".  Being captured for the best part of a century was the catalyst to the change, so I'm wondering how it could be left out...

CalHab

I was really unenthusiastic about the long proposed Joseph Gordon-Levitt vehicle, mostly because I consider him a wildly over-rated and unlikeable actor, but the excellent Audible version has made me think that Sandman adaptations might not be as daft an idea as I thought.

For what its worth, I liked the trailer.

pictsy

Quote from: sheridan on 28 September, 2021, 12:21:26 PM
A quote from Gaiman (when forced) told the story of Sandman in 25 words or less: "The Lord of Dreams learns that he must change or die, and makes his decision".  Being captured for the best part of a century was the catalyst to the change, so I'm wondering how it could be left out...

It could have been left out if that's not the story the show makers intend to tell.  They could just as easily take the characters and write a new story.  They could make a supernatural police procedural where Morpheus is a consultant to the LAPD.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 28 September, 2021, 06:51:11 PM
Like they did with Preacher.
The LAPD reference is specifically calling out Lucifer :-)