Main Menu

Sideshow Vote: Red vs Blue (I mean Red) vs Red (again)

Started by broodblik, 09 March, 2022, 03:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

We all love Strontium Dog, and we were introduced to one character that have been used, redefined and even re-image recently. We are talking none other than Durham Red everyone's favorite "vampire" bounty-hunter. So which incarnation is your favorite interpretation (even if the character is not complete true to her first introduction in prog 505):
-   Alan Grant and Carlos Ezquerra
-   Dan Abnett and Mark Harrison
-   Alec Worley, art by Ben Willsher
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

Good vote topic  - Alan Grant and Carlos Ezquerra for me. I enjoyed the humor mixed with Durham Red's intensity, and how she and Johnny played off each other. Also Ezquerra is the only one who can make sense of that hair...and he draws a dang good costume too.

Wasn't B!tch penned by both Grant and Wagner?

broodblik

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 09 March, 2022, 04:06:17 AM
Wasn't B!tch penned by both Grant and Wagner?

Written by Alan Grant only. I think that was the stage where they split duties and Wagner was on Dredd
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

Grant / Ezquerra is the only one.

And it's the one that should be in the prog stories till this day.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Alec Worley, art by Ben Willsher

I'm a big fan of the new stories. Let's continue to drive the character forward into new directions.

rogue69

Barrington Boots

Alan Grant and Carlos Ezquerra by miles.
Abnett / Harrison I haven't read a lot of, but what I have read I didn't like much. May as well have been a different character.
The Worley / Willsher redesign I like, but aside from the first one the stories have not worked for me.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Worley/Willsher for me. There are some issues with tone, but I like them doing something new, and the art is by far the best we've seen for the character. What she looks like also works a lot better. Harrison's Red was a Barbie half dressed in frilly underwear; Ezquerra's was better, but it was notable the sole female S/D we saw much of the time was also the sole S/D showing an awful lot of skin.

Script-wise, I recently re-read the Grant stuff in the Hachette book. It's good, but feels quite of its time. I've not revisited the Abnett run in many years; again, I liked it, but it isn't the same character. Worley's take is interesting and takes things forward.

sheridan

Discounting Red as a supporting character in SD (so just Grant/Ezquerra's standalones)

Dan Abnett and Mark Harrison - namely the post-cryo-sleep stories (not a fan of deathmatch stories, whether it appears in Dredd, Red or Sláine).
Alec Worley, art by Ben Willsher - the re-design worked wonders.
Alan Grant and Carlos Ezquerra - Island of the Damned didn't grab me.

Blue Cactus

Art-wise I like the Willsher version best. Ezquerra's costume for Red is fairly ridiculous and gets harder to take seriously as time goes on. And her hair was just weird! The Willsher version is not designed to titilate, thankfully.

Story-wise I've enjoyed them all and they have all been very different. I'm hoping Worley/Willsher will build something interesting with the strip. I really enjoyed the last series but Red herself feels kind of adrift as a character. She works great as an action hero/anti-hero but I'd like to feel the strip is going to evolve and develop, whether that means 'bigger picture' or staying tightly focused on Red herself. Hopefully we'll get some more soon as I think the strip has great potential with these creators.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The Abnett/ Harrison run, if only because it sits in three beautiful trades on my shelf. None of her adventures by any of her creators really float my boat to be honest.

SBT

paddykafka

Huey2

Grant and Ezquerra. Grant's post "Final Solution" stories for Middenface and Red showed that there was a strong future for post-Alpha SD stories. It's a shame he couldn't stick around to manage these.

the Abnett / Harrison stories are a lot of fun but I it's a completely different character.
Not keen on the latest incarnation murdering innocents. Can't tell why I should be rooting for her.

AlexF

Durham Red, a bit like DeMarco or Hershey, somewhat struggles to be a lead character.
I really like Island of the Damned as a one-off story, prob my single fave of the post-SD Durham Red stories.
Worley's version is hyper-competent storytelling, but I couldn't tell you what the themes are or what he's exploring beyond 'John Carpenter sure made some cool movies in the 70s and 80s, huh?'.

Honestly, I think the Abnett/Harrison verison of Red herself is the best, they do some fascinating things with her character and did find a story to tell around her. It's just quite hard to look at because Harrison hadn't quite got a handle on his computery style back then, and I'm still annoyed that the overall plot was about humans and mutants still being enemies in the far future, but you couldn't tell who was who just by looking at the character designs. It was such an integral part of the original SD that the mutants stuck out a mile because of their mutations, with only a handful of exceptions.

Magnetica

Grant and Ezquerra mainly for the interplay between her and Johnny.

But I would like to see more of the current version.