Main Menu

Sideshow Vote: The Bearded Wonder

Started by broodblik, 18 April, 2022, 06:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

We all love the work of Alan Moore so here we are let's do a showdown with what I believe his best work from within and without. Quite simple this is showdown between one out the prog and one out of the States, it is Halo Jones vs Watchmen. So, make your choice which is his best series:
-   Halo Jones
-   Watchmen
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Tough heart verses head one this. I think Watchmen is the deeper, richer piece, but I prefer Halo for is more human story. I also think Watchmen for all its incredible ambition forgets it needs to be a story first and foremost and as such

Halo Jones

for me.

rogue69

Magnetica

For me his best work is neither of those, its DR & Quinch. And his future shocks, like The Last Stand of the Platinum Horde or the English Phlondrutian Phrasebook.

But of these, yeah it's Halo Jones.

Aaron A Aardvark

I admire Watchmen but Halo Jones is more affecting.

AlexF

Yes, it's weirdly easy to choose Halo Jones because it feels so much more human. Watchmen, of course, is a towering works of comics genius that one can pore over on many rereads - but it isn't about actual people, it's about weirdo superheroes.

I especially dislike the scenes between Rorschach and the psychologist, who seems to be one of the worst examples of a movie version of that profession. Of course, I can't deny that I get sewpt up in the plot and character and fiendish cleverness of it all. But Halo Jones is a comic to fall in love with.

Timothy

Halo Jones is the better written in terms of character and avoids Moore's failing of using sexual violence as a plot device, but suffers badly from not being complete.
Watchmen, by contrast, is complete in itself but the bastards at DC just wouldn't leave it alone.
It's a tough choice, but Watchmen just pips it for me.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

halo jones

(but the real answer is from hell)

Barrington Boots

Watchmen gets my vote too. Halo, whilst great, is incomplete and Watchmen, for all it's flaws redefined comics (for the better or the worse - that's another debate there)
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

paddykafka

Hoping that there's always the - admittedly very - remote chance of Alan Moore reading this thread, and being so swept up the wave of nostalgic emotion at the final result, that he immediately sets to work upon the other six volumes, I'm giving my vote to Halo Jones.

Funt Solo

Fuckitty fucksticks! You're asking me to choose between Blade Runner and Aliens. Clearly, Blade Runner wins the artistic endeavor prize, but Aliens has that bit where the Sarge says "Look into my eye!" It wins the chutzpah battle hands down.

Blade Runner has the questionable sexual politics scene, Aliens has that bit where Hudson says "Stop yore grinnin' and drop your linen!" Aliens is winning the nobody gives a fuck prize by transcending politics altogether. After all - you don't see them fucking each other over for a percentage.

So, what I'm saying is that clearly the academic answer should be Watchmen, but actually my choice has to be Halo Jones.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Actually it should be Blade Runner vs Alien(s stands for Scott)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

I think that would be Watchmen vs. Neonomicon.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Quotesuffers badly from not being complete.

You wouldn't even know that if Tharg hadn't told you. Just going by reading the stories, there's nothing to indicate that book 3 wasn't the last. It doesn't end on a cliffhanger, it just ends.