Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - DreadNoughts vs. Kingdom Rd 4 Heat 18

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 July, 2022, 06:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Over the halfway mark already in Round 4, things are moving fast these days and I might consider one a day for future rounds, we'll see. This week is an interesting mix. We have a couple of contenders for the tourney as a whole, the one remaining Prog 1 thrill and I think this week will filters some of the 'lesser' thrills out... but as ever we'll see

I think as 2000ad fans we need to get a definition of 'modern' sorted. I mean I still think of Kingdom as a modern thrill and was about to burst into this intro by chiming 'Two modern favourites go head to head' or similar. Kingdom started like 15 years ago! (very shortly after my return to the Prog and quickly cementing my thoughts that - Jez yeah this comic really still has it! Warning of *). DreadNoughts has all the makings of a 'modern' classic too, but has it done enough yey to topple Gene and co?

*™ personal bias!

Form book:

DreadNought - Streets of Dan Francisco; Demon Nic; Full Tilt Boogie
Kingdom - Bye; Carver Hale; Proteus Vex

DreadNoughts - more info

Vs

Kingdom - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 21st July and the winner gets a place in Round 5 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

I like DreadNoughts it is an awesome new thrill but the body of work of Kingdom is huge so Kingdom it is
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

Magnetica

Huey2

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

abelardsnazz

AlexF

Quite hard to compare one very dense and sophisticated political thriller with one very open and elegantly simplae sci-fi action romp.

But based purely on character design and catchphrase success, gotta be Kingdom.

sintec

DreadNoughts is a strong newcomer, if it manages to keep that up for a few more series then it might be able to challenge the likes of Gene. As it is this one goes to Kingdom

IndigoPrime

Well, crap. DreadNoughts is fantastic. It's the best thing to happen in the Dreddverse since Lawless. I would happily see it in the Meg every single month. But... Kingdom. I admit I wasn't convinced during that first series. Giant bipedal dogs, talking like characters from Mad Max: Thunderdome? But then it clicked – and it clicked hard. Kingdom rapidly became a rarity – a thoroughly modern 2000 AD strip that also understood everything about what made the comic great in the past and drew (where relevant) from that.

Kingdom is one of those 2000 AD strip's that in a just world would be getting Image-style OSHC treatment. As it is, it's a deserving winner here, but it still pains me that the wonderful DreadNoughts is going out.

Proudhuff

Kingdom DN is a great new thrill but Gene's top dog!
DDT did a job on me

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Both series are magnificent, and among the best prog things this century. But it has to be Kingdom seeing that the competition is, as I type, only one book in.

SBT