Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Thistlebone vs. Chopper Rd 4 Heat 20

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 July, 2022, 06:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Over the halfway mark already in Round 4, things are moving fast these days and I might consider one a day for future rounds, we'll see. This week is an interesting mix. We have a couple of contenders for the tourney as a whole, the one remaining Prog 1 thrill and I think this week will filters some of the 'lesser' thrills out... but as ever we'll see

Chopper hasn't really been tested to date so this is a very interesting tie. Marlon's solo efforts have been a very mixed bag and will the highs standout in folks minds over the lows. And will that be enough to topple another modern, if not universal, favourite. Hard one to call this...

Form book:

Thistlebone - Bye; Tempest; Invasion
Chopper - Bye; Straitjacket Fits; Danzig's Inferno

Thistlebone - more info

Vs

Chopper - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 22nd July and the winner gets a place in Round 5 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

abelardsnazz

Thistlebone is a modern folk horror classic. But there's Song of the Surfer. Hmmm....

Chopper.

Huey2

Magnetica

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 19 July, 2022, 08:14:20 AM
Thistlebone is a modern folk horror classic. But there's Song of the Surfer. Hmmm....

Chopper.

This^^.

Chopper.

AlexF

Been a LONG time since Chopper stories set my soul on fire. One stone-cold classic, for me, is not enough to topple the double dread of Thistlebone.

Barrington Boots

Thistlebone's credentials are extremely strong: it's really tricky one this re. Chopper - on one hand, Song of the Surfer. On the other hand, all the dross that came after.

SotS is a tale I read at exactly the right time for it to have so much emotional heft - and to be utterly blown away by the artwork. But everything that followed is mediocre at best, and hamstrung by undoing the end of SotS. It pains me to vote against it, but on the balance I've got to go with Thistlebone.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

Proudhuff

Quote from: AlexF on 19 July, 2022, 08:56:29 AM
Been a LONG time since Chopper stories set my soul on fire. One stone-cold classic, for me, is not enough to topple the double dread of Thistlebone.

This ^^^ for me
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Song of the Surfer is a 2000 AD masterpiece. Soul on Fire shouldn't be forgotten – but often is. But after that... well. The Ennis strip was fairly bad and entirely unnecessary, and then Supersurf 13 was dire. After that point, the Chopper strips have been quite good, but somehow inconsequential. It also feels increasingly odd to have a 'rebel' in his 50s or so, which is why it was smart of Wagner to 'reboot' the idea in Surfer.

Thistlebone is just horrible. Proper modern horror, with some gut-wrenching scenes and – unusually for 2000 AD – a diverse selection of characters. I have them both in HC. I only have chopper through the UC – although I would have kept by ancient Fleetway Song of the Surfer, obvs, if I didn't!

Southstreeter

Chopper - for the Colin McNeil exit wounds. I've never got on with Thistlebone, there doesn't seem to be much plot, just random nasty images (or maybe that's the point).