Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Sancho Panzer vs. M.A.C.H.1 Rd 3 Heat 51

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 June, 2022, 06:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

The Six Million Dollar Man begat MACH1, which begat MACH ZERO (which was good) and, latterly, Greysuit (which was asking too much of us). MACH1 had that formulaic nature (common practice in comics of the time), where the arcs were short, and (theoretically) it could have chugged on forever.

Sancho Panzer was also a bit like that - and never quite fulfilled the promise that the high concept of Dude in a Giant Tank suggested. It's a bit like Mech Warrior (in, really, any of its incarnations) never quite having the magic suggested by this image:

Because the game is really more like this:

But, anyway - giant tanks drawn by Henry Flint is better than a Bionic Man knock-off, so...

Sancho Panzer, please, Bob.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

Flint and Dabnett are absolutely two of Tharg's top creators. Sancho Panzer is absolutely not their best work. But it was part of their journey to where they are now.

MACH 1 is a classic early 2000AD thrill, but like otherlike Invasion it's actually not that good. Certainly not when read by a 40 something decades later for the first time, with out any nostalgic feelings for it.

So, it's a though one.

So on the basis that MACH 1 is more part of what formed 2000AD I'm going for that.

Colin YNWA

Last day here and it closer than I thought it would be, still not close but getting there. Who knows what todays votes might do?

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well was not expexcting that. It was very close too but the mauling of prog 1 thrills in Round 3 continues as now M.A.C.H.1 falls. Its not that we're not greatful for these stories for launching the comic we love and providing a sound foundation, it just we know it gones onto bigger and better things... and it would seem one of those things is

Sancho Panzer

which will be rolling over rough terrain to get to Round 4

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Sancho Panzer. It may be time to admit that MACH 1 was a bit rubbish.

SBT

paddykafka

Funt Solo

Let's not forget that Sancho Panzer was clearly the chief inspiration for The Order:

Kek-W was all like "I'll make it original, I'll spell it 'wurms', and instead of a tank it'll be an interdimensional time-traveling robot - no, not like Armoured Gideon! Although..."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++