Main Menu

Calling all FIGHTING FANTASY fans...

Started by wrly_bird, 12 December, 2008, 10:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

QuoteAnyone remember (I think it was called) Creature of Chaos - at the beginning you wake up as a ravening furry beastie with no memory of what went before. Could NEVER finish this one, it always ended badly for me - a bit like the first Silent Hill game.

That was a seriously, SERIOUSLY hard book. The ammount of instant kills in it were unreal. [spoiler]Even if you made it all the way to the end - almost impossible -, you'd still lose if you hadn't found a certain item.[/spoiler] Still, the whole "playing as a monster" thing was really cool - especially the way you regained health by eating the corpses of the enemies you killed (an act described in generous detail by the author).

Also, I always imagined the beastie being more scaly than hairy, but that might just be me...

wrly_bird

If memory serves, early copies of Creature of Havoc had a mistake in them that prevented you from ever leaving the dungeon. Me and my equally tragic mate went through the entire book one afternoon paragraph by motherloving paragraph.
:-[ :-[ :-[

Zarjazzer

Quote from: wrly_bird on 09 November, 2009, 08:55:22 PM
If memory serves, early copies of Creature of Havoc had a mistake in them that prevented you from ever leaving the dungeon. Me and my equally tragic mate went through the entire book one afternoon paragraph by motherloving paragraph.
:-[ :-[ :-[

There should be statues to this fine act of nerdiness (which is a good thing). 8) i used to think there was a mistake in  Warlock of Firetop mountain but it's just I kept getting lost in that bloody maze.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

vzzbux

You should have made maps like me and my brother.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

wrly_bird

I did make maps - on bits of A4 stained parchment-brown with teabags and baked in the oven.... (TRUE!) My only excuse is that I had yet to discover masturbation!

wrly_bird

Magnificent earlier post there, by the way, Amberkraken!  ;D

vzzbux

I may ask my brother if he still has those maps, If so they will be posted on here. I know he has some maps left from the many speccy games we encountered, we mapped the whole of starquake before it was published in one of the speccy mag's. Reams and reams of graph paper went missing from our school.

V
Drokking since 1972

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

ThryllSeekyr

Creature of Havoc

I beloive it's the reprinted cover. more recnt version.

Never read it myself.

The beast on the front seems to have both hair and scales.

A worthy purchase if I can find and afford it.

ThryllSeekyr

wrly_bird

Re: Vzzbux's map - Holy Mary Mother o' God!!! :o :o :o

ThryllSeekyr

There's a picture of Steve Jackson in the latest Signs & Portents Number 74.

Sitting next to a female employer of Mongoose Publishing or atlaest a writer for that magazine at game fest.

I thought it was his daughter.

Here's the page with the link if anybody wants to read the article.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/detail.php?qsID=1769&qsSeries=13

vzzbux

Sorry for the size of the map. No that one wasn't mine just ripped of t'internet. The one we did we hand drew every screen. It took forever.

V
Drokking since 1972