Main Menu

Quarter Finals: 1 - Garth Ennis or Ian Edginton - Ultimate not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 June, 2020, 06:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So the Quarter Final start and alas I'm letting Greg down out the door. Garth Ennis' charge to the quarters has surprised many as while he's done some of my favourite work outside of 2000ad his work in the Prog was when he was starting. Whether you include his Crisis work is a factor as well as we are only dealing with writing for Tharg here (I would by the way). Will this however be a test too far as he's in a vote with one of Tharg's most prolific world builders, a writer who has come up with some incredibly popular long running classics, as well as a single run story that will be featuring large in the 'Best of the Rebellion Years' vote currently running in Leviathon. So who do you vote for?

Garth Ennis - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=GARTHE

OR

Ian Edginton - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=IANE

What is all this nonsense you ask well we're finding out whose 2000ad (Meg and associated items) writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work). This vote closes some time early Monday 15th June?

Want to know more https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46527.0

Second two quarter finals will be up tomorrow.

Colin YNWA

Oh and just to confirm that this one will wrap up Friday 19th June, not in the past!

Whoops!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Citi-Def_Joe

Ian Edginton without a doubt. He has produced some of my favourite writing in 2000ad (and in comics in general)

abelardsnazz

Ian Edginton for brilliantly realised, often linked, worlds of strangeness and wonder.

TordelBack

Greg M.

I suspect I'm once again on the opposite side of the debate to most here. Garth Ennis fundamentally got the 2000AD vibe of dark humour and balls-to-the-wall action. He knew how to write in the appropriate style. Edginton, on the other hand seems to have shaped 2000AD to fit his existing style - serialised historically-related pieces, rather than the ongoing adventures of an iconic character. For me, 'Last Night Out' beats anything Edginton's got in his knapsack. For the final time - Garth Ennis.

sintec

I'm surprised Ennis made it this and there's no way his writing for Tharg can compete with the likes of Ampney Crucis, Sticklback, Thistlebone, and Scarlet Traces. If Ennis's later work (Preacher, The Boys) was included this might be a fair fight but... it isn't so Edginton.

IndigoPrime

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Edginton, however much I enjoy Ennis work- and have done it seems since I was a teenager, Edginton wins this for me due to the standard of his prog work across a number of series but most notably Leviathan.

Tomwe

Bolt-01

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tomwe on 16 June, 2020, 09:02:10 AM
Ian Edginton! Hm, are these rounds actually easier?

I think, strangely this round could be the easiest round for most folks - there will be exceptions of course as different folks will rate different writers differently (so Greg M really struggled with the other draw here for example) but I looked at this and even with one heart wrenching round coming tomorrow I still could answer most in a flash. Not necessarily with the writer who will win, but the one I thought should.

Now the semis, man they are going to be stinkers I think!

Dark Jimbo

Garth is my favourite writer of the two, but in terms of prog contributions there`s just no contest here, really - Edginton wins for me.
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

I take the point that Ennis has that 2000AD violence and snark coursing through his veins, and for sure that is the hallmark of maybe the first 20 years of the Prog (and beyond), but there's an argument to be had that Edington's weird and lovingly crafted old-timey / otherworldly / regional accented worldbuilding has in itself come to define the Prog in recent decades. Both writers have produced 2000AD work that I have really loved,  and some strips I really hated but on balance it's no contest for me.

Ian Edginton