Main Menu

prog 1658 delivered and read

Started by moly, 17 October, 2009, 09:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

judge dredd -  really good story this week one off story

strontium dog - story progressing nicely heading for a good finish to this story

shakara - also heading for a good conclusion, will have to reread all the episodes at the end should be better as a one off read

kingdom probaly my favourite story after dredd cracking along at a good pace

necrophim - i have really enjoyed this story something differant and intelligent

another cracking issue the prog has had an excellent run this year long may it continue

I, Cosh

Picture the scene. A happy Cosh is skipping back from the Post Office, an overdue consignment of Shadey delights tucked under his arm. Popping into the corner shop for rolls and bacon, what should he spy but a jolly postie coming out of his street with his bulging sack. "Oh ho!" thinks Cosh, "A Thrill-powered feast awaits." Up the stairs, helter skelter, open the door... Eh?! WHERE THE FUCK IS MY PROG?

The rolls were still good, but I resent having to share them with yesterday's current affairs.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Well the quality continues. A fantastic Dredd (which strangely felt more like an interlude than the story in 1656 (was it?)) giving depth to what otherwise seemed like a throw away character while building the threat for the main story in this section. Brillant stuff.

Shakara and Kingdom continue on their almost parallel paths beginning their violent final acts (I'd guess) and Strontium Dog gets the violence out they way in a burst of gun fire before moving things on nicely. Finally and very enjoyable the twists and turns in hell continue in a story that adds an intriging different tone to the Prog.

Again just a quality product all round. The trick I guess, will be how this is maintained with three of the thrills heading towards conclusion. Present form gives me reassurance that there's nowt to worry about.

Pete Wells

Cut and paste from the other thread.

Cover - Really grown on me this. A striking image that completely captures the hard as nails attitude of our Jonny inside. Reminds me very much of a cracking Dogbreath cover by the wonderful Simon Coleby (I miss him, sniff!):

Dredd - A downright nasty episode, I liked how it showed events from last week. Oh and that mutie with the eyes on her knees in panel 2 was crackers! One question, Bubba from the Norm Channel looked familliar, I wonder if he's based on anyone?

Alpha - A very cool episode with Jonny being a real hardnut. Ha, Wagner finds a way to solve Jonny's dilema admirably, just like we all knew he would!

Shakara - Exciting stuff, best read wilst listening to some rousing classical music! The splash page of Brennedka's fleet arriving is amazing, some of those 'ships' are just bonkers. I love Henry flint so much it's silly!

Kingdom - Hmmm, I like to think of Gene as really quite thick and super faithful so I found his leaps of logic and his actions in this episode quite out of character. It's all exciting stuff nevertheless with a good old cliffhanger. Hats off yet again to Richard Elson for the amazing art.

Dirty Devils - Woah there, what's with characters acting out of context this week? Uriel does a complete 180 in this episode but I suppose old Lucifer has it coming, the tinker. I really like this strip, particularly Lee's artwork.

In all, a great mid-point prog. All hail Tharg the Mighty!

Richmond Clements

Ha! Nice one Pete- I have the original art for that one on the wall!

Short review from me as I don't normally contribute to this thread, but that was a hell of a prog. Stront and Kingdom in particular were superb with a brilliant sense of escalation in both strips.

And the Damage Report: sorry about that, Mighty One! I was staying in the same hotel, and rather suspect it was my germs that infected everyone...

Mardroid

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 17 October, 2009, 12:29:17 PM
And the Damage Report: sorry about that, Mighty One! I was staying in the same hotel, and rather suspect it was my germs that infected everyone...

I thought that might be a hangover gag...

Dredd- Nice little backtrack. I quite like the character of Snake and I'd have liked to have seen him join the gang... but that would probably be too predictable. Still, I suppose it could be said that in a sense he did join the gang... [spoiler]well bits of him anyway. Slipped into bad taste mode there...[/spoiler]

Stronty- I'll admit, I wasn't sure I quite bought how quickly and easily he dealt with the guys- 5 armed men just like that. It certainly fits the old gunslinger tone of the strip though. I've seen him shoot before, although not like this. Not a bad thing though. Great stuff.

Shakara- Not a whole lot happens, but that's a great splash of the ships. Ok.

Kingdom- Good as always. It too me a little while to work out what Gene meant by 'Extra Shun'. Love it.

Necrophim- Ok. I agree somewhat concerning the sudden turnaround. Not a favourite strip, but the frame-up stuff is getting quite interesting.

amberkraken

Haven't done a review ina while as it's hard to keep saying 'this is really good'.
This week is no exception, but was thinking my presence on here should be resumed.

Dredd - Nice random one off, that backtracked and replayed an old scene from a different angle and once again hinting at what ol' stony face is going up against soon.

Stront - loving how this story is developing, though that second page seemed a bit of wasted space if you wanted big and gorey why not have made it a double page spread and make it flow better? rather than a half arsed montage, but that's only my opinion. artwork is still good and I'm realy looking forward to next weeks.

Shakara - not only has there been about 400 words that weren't 'that one' in the past few weeks, but hardly said at all. Artwork as always is amazing, again agreeing with the posts so far that'one hundred ships and counting' page is stunning!!! Each week with this strip I feel like not much happens but then when you look back the story has progressed loads in this arc.

Kingdom - I really love this strip and it just gets better and better. Artwork is amazing and Abnett is only giving us more background info in little pieces that keeps me coming back for more!

Necrophim - this strip seems to divide people, and I'm firmly in the 'love it' camp. This story arc took a little while to get going, reminding everyone what happened, but this week was great!Lee's artwork is beautiful, haunting, provocative and ugly all wrapped in a ball of excellence.

IndigoPrime

For some reason, Kingdom is having a 'Y The Last Man' vibe with me of late, although I like this series a whole lot more than Y.

Overall: a top Prog.

WoD

Lovely cover...

Dredd - Just didn't like it this week and couldn't figure out why.  Too much exposition maybe?

Stront - Great; art lovely and story has been paced really nicely - building well to the finale.

Shakara - Pretty nice...

Kingdom - Excellent strip and excellently well told story.

Necrophim - Another good strip.  there's a fair bit going on here and it's being told really well...the art's nicely different to the rest of the prog too.

Proudhuff

Nice cover...

Dredd - Nice to see a kind of multi view of the same action, I'm champing at the bite to see how Hersheys doing off world.

Stront - eight shots fired before anyone can let a shot off? great shoting indeed.

Shakara - a roller coaster enjoying the ride.

Kingdom - Looking forward to see how this goes, gene survives, yes but then? The strongest story after dredd again.

Necrophim - I Just don't get it, the rules in hell are what exactly?

and is that a telephone I see? A telephone in hell? a hot line to the angels? Which particular ring of hell has been set aside for telephone engineers( who no doubt have to wear the same armour as everyone else?) is it wifi? or just olde worlde wires on poles? in hell? what about the billing/ how do you bill Auld Nick for those 0800 numbers?
DDT did a job on me

The Enigmatic Dr X

What's the problem with a phone in hell?

The Lazy Frog ring tone is the work of Beezlebub.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin Zeal

Wasn't there some comment in the prologue about either Heaven or Hell having the iphone? I think there was.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 19 October, 2009, 01:58:29 PM
Wasn't there some comment in the prologue about either Heaven or Hell having the iphone? I think there was.

Haven had it
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Richmond Clements

My problem with Necrophim is that there is no sense of scale to it.
What I mean is this: they are in hell- I'm sure there should be the odd person dotted about somewhere, but instead there seem to be endless empty corridors.
And it reads to me like a radio 4 play in that there are essentially 4 speaking parts in the whole strip.

TordelBack

QuoteAnd it reads to me like a radio 4 play in that there are essentially 4 speaking parts in the whole strip.

Oh no!  Now I'm imagining Uriel speaking in one of those terrible fake-American accents Radio 4 do so very badly.   Is Lucifer about to reveal that he resents God because he gave up his dreams of being a round-the-world yachtsman to stay at home and mind those whom the Creator would see damned?