Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Funt Solo on 04 December, 2020, 06:53:01 PM
Elite: Dangerous

First few minutes: I'm out of control - spinning - always spinning - I feel sick - oh my god, how do you fly a spaceship!

First few hours: tutorials in-game, tutorials ex-game - can now fly level - understand combat speed

First few days: each five minutes of play requires about an hour of ex-game study - three levels of speed (actually four or five if you go in-atmos) - I flew into a sun and now I'm burning! - don't scan the way-point, scan the object!

Week 02: scanning systems, doing missions, playing the game. There's a whole galaxy to explore! (And, still, ex-game resources are vital.)

It's great, eh? 😄

I had to stop playing it in the end, because it's a massive time sink, and my partner (usually quite happy to watch me play games while she plays with her phone) was incredibly bored.

I was all like "OMG, a pulsar!" and she was *YAWN*.  I was all like "OMG I've just scanned three Earth-like planets in as many hours - I'm going to clean up at the next space station!" and she was like *SOOO BOORED*.

The lack of any kind of narrative and just bumming around space blasting pirates, mining asteroids, going into uncharted areas, and rolling around on rocks looking for moon bases apparently is not much fun for the passive observer. 😆

repoman

Currently playing that Miles Morales Spidey game on PS5.  It's the best looking game I've ever played and I love the gameplay, especially the combat and stealth.  It's shorter than the previous game too which is a good thing.  I'm of the mind that games should never be longer than four hours long unless every hour is completely unique.

Also playing Tesla Force which is just a fantastic shoot 'em up with great upgrading mechanics.

milstar

Face Noir

A point-n-click mystery game from an Italian indie studio. True to the noir roots, you're a burnt-out, alcoholic, deeply cynical detective who is determined to solve the mystery of a dead man, whom he had a close relationship in the past (close, but not quite bright). The story is well told, interesting to follow, and includes typical themes associated with the genre; corruption that reaches high levels, mistrust, shady characters, numerous plot twists, secret societies, stereotypical characters (funny Chinaman, greedy Russian), etc. Near the end of the game, the story delves into the supernatural, but it still feels cool. I like the idea of solving the case based on a dream you had (something which amused me in Batman Broken City). The atmospherics are pretty good, but unfortunately, the graphics are lackluster (and are lagging behind at least five years from when the game was released (2013). However, this is the least flaw you'll encounter in the game.  Several puzzles are frustrating to solve, requiring you to think like a real detective, with than average IQ. The nature of the puzzles is sometimes pretty unfair (for example, one requires to observe a string of symbols carved onto a totem pole; however, due to the camera being on some considerable distance, in addition to mediocre graphics, you need to stretch your eyes wide as you possibly can). Also, the interaction system is basically broken as it often requires you to click on every object in the background or using every item in your inventory on a designated object, which happens more often than not and is the solution that works when you ponder what next (as the game doesn't really give you hints what to do or where to go). Also, the game is pretty linear and straightforward and often forces you to visit locations you visited before and talk with characters you already talked with. The game ends on a cliffhanger note, promising a sequel, but due to the developer going bust, so...
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: repoman on 05 December, 2020, 01:56:35 PM
Currently playing that Miles Morales Spidey game on PS5.  It's the best looking game I've ever played and I love the gameplay, especially the combat and stealth.  It's shorter than the previous game too which is a good thing.  I'm of the mind that games should never be longer than four hours long unless every hour is completely unique.

Also playing Tesla Force which is just a fantastic shoot 'em up with great upgrading mechanics.

Liar. There's no such thing as a PS5.
Lock up your spoons!

milstar

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 28 December, 2020, 08:54:41 PM

There is. Has been released worldwide (except China and India) previous month. I didn't know either, until I found out recently.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

milstar

Mortal Kombat 11

Stupid controversy aside over lack of sex appeal, this is another MK gem. Okay, micromanagement system is a bit messed up, but gameplay is good ol MK, and you get to play as Spawn, Terminator, Robocop or Joker. What more can you ask? I never have been much of MK fan, but now I think I'll like it.

Professor Bear

In one sentence you say it lacks sex appeal, but in the next you say it has Robocop in it.

milstar

Quote from: Professor Bear on 06 February, 2021, 07:16:01 PM
In one sentence you say it lacks sex appeal, but in the next you say it has Robocop in it.

I don't fetishize over Robocop.

Professor Bear

Me neither, but I don't make the rules.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: milstar on 29 December, 2020, 04:27:08 AM

There is. Has been released worldwide (except China and India) previous month. I didn't know either, until I found out recently.

If you say there's such a thing... go buy one.
Lock up your spoons!

milstar

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 06 February, 2021, 11:48:46 PM
Quote from: milstar on 29 December, 2020, 04:27:08 AM

If you say there's such a thing... go buy one.

Hm... No, my PC is just fine.

Darren Stephens

Fenyx Rising, on Nintendo Switch. Great game, seems to have gone under the radar for most folks.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

The Enigmatic Dr X

Horace

On the Switch. Bought it for the princely sum of £1.09 in a sale. I've done the first two chapters and so far it's like an interactive novel rather than a game. If it would just let me play!

However, from reviews, I gather it changes after that first hour [spoiler]when your robot character is re-activated after a war[/spoiler], so I will stick with it.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 08 February, 2021, 08:49:27 AM
Horace

On the Switch. Bought it for the princely sum of £1.09 in a sale. I've done the first two chapters and so far it's like an interactive novel rather than a game. If it would just let me play!

However, from reviews, I gather it changes after that first hour [spoiler]when your robot character is re-activated after a war[/spoiler], so I will stick with it.

I imagine its changes again when he gets hungry, then again when he goes sking and finally when those pesky spiders show up...

Professor Bear

The guy who actually owns the copyright to Horace (the ZX Spectrum games/character) is a massive cnoot, so I am quite happy he got his brand name sniped.

Drunken Fist - beat-em-up where you play a homeless veteran wandering the streets trying to find booze and food, and you lose if you sober up or piss your pants, so the game is about finding a zen-like balance between drinking the contents of half-empty beer bottles you find laying around and pissing in the street while finding other drunks to fight with.  Most brawls are just both of you moving in slow motion trying hit each other without missing, and the game utilises tank controls and momentum so if you walk forwards a few steps your character starts tumbling forwards until he falls over, unless you pull backwards - at which point he starts tumbling backwards until he falls over.
Irresponsible?  Yes.  Fun?  Also yes.
Takes about an hour to clean up the entire trophy list, though, so if you're a Platinum addict, this might be your next stop after you've finished with the latest 99p Ratalaika offering.

Crossout - free-to-play post-apocalyptic vehicle combat game.  Used to be based entirely around arena multiplayer battles, but at some point added an "adventure" mode where you can free-roam a pretty large area looking for stuff to do (the only noticeable region-specific task I've seen so far is tracking down and destroying hidden cameras), and you can encounter other players who will hopefully help you with the radiant fetch quests, boss fights or really tough convoy ambushes that pop up every few minutes.
It's incredibly stingy with XP and resources, because obviously they don't give you a free game out of the kindness of their hearts - not yet anyway, comrades - and want you to buy stuff off the marketplace, but if, like me, you actually like just driving around in Mad Max times while listening to the radio or podcasts, the grind is actually a big part of the charm - if you've less patience, though, there always online multiplayer fights and the game's own virtual market where you can sell resources and salvaged parts for in-game currency.
It's obviously a pretty stripped-down affair, but it reminds me of the Mad Max game from a few years back.

AdVenture Capitalist - pointless click-click game ported from Android and IOS for some reason.  Dreadful - it's just a matter of clicking buttons and watching numbers go up - but I mention it because it fails at capitalism by being free to play.  Has a trophy list if you fancy some easy cheevos.