Main Menu

The Black Dog Thread

Started by Grugz, 02 January, 2016, 09:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Ok, thanks a million. Like i say,  i was just curious because i don't know much about this topic (despite having lived for a while in thailand where it's very much a part of everyday life)  and i really appreciate your interesting response.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Prodigal2

Woolly

Sorry to add to the thread but..

I've been feeling pretty worthless for some time now. I've lost track with so many friends, just because I don't know what to say to them if I were to get in touch.

I hate my drawing. I've got no grasp of action, perspective, or anything other than someone just stood there. Doing nothing.

I never post any more, thinking my views are just irrelevent. I've missed the last couple of art/story votes due to moping instead of paying attention to dates.
I never even enter the art comps any more - they were my sole reason for drawing at one point!

I live in a friend's flat, I own nothing but a computer, some comics/books and a bed. No savings, and hitting 40 in a couple of weeks. Single too.

It's funny, but it's taken me a week of staring at a computer screen to raise the balls to type all this!
I also hope no-one sees this as a cry for help - think of it as me coming to terms with my issues and trying to start sorting them out.

One thing though - does St John's Wort really have an effect? If I can just get some good feeling and energy back...

And my heartfelt hopes, wishes and love to all other members having a rough time. I do think of you all, even if I don't post to let you know it.
To quote Ringo: "Peace and love, peace and love"  :)

Tjm86

Quote from: Woolly on 18 March, 2016, 07:22:01 PM

I also hope no-one sees this as a cry for help - think of it as me coming to terms with my issues and trying to start sorting them out.

Sorry but what is wrong with wanting a bit of help?  There is nowt wrong with wanting someone to give you a bit of support and encouragement.

One thing though - does St John's Wort really have an effect? If I can just get some good feeling and energy back...

Personally I go with Rescue Remedy which does help me.  I don't care if it is a placebo because it has the desired effect.

I've lost track with so many friends, just because I don't know what to say to them if I were to get in touch.

Maybe it is worth reaching out to a few old friends with a bit of a 'hello' and seeing where it goes.  Those that are worth knowing will always be supportive.

Hang in there.

The Legendary Shark

Woolly, you are not alone and you are most certainly not worthless. You are a being of infinite worth and potential. You may not believe that right now - but I do.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Woolly

Quote from: Tjm86 on 18 March, 2016, 07:35:02 PM

Sorry but what is wrong with wanting a bit of help?  There is nowt wrong with wanting someone to give you a bit of support and encouragement.

You're absolutely right, I just want to attempt beating this thing myself first.
I love doing things for other people - I just want to start doing them for myself sometimes.*

*Christ, but that sounds selfish! Wasn't meant to!

Woolly

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 March, 2016, 07:53:26 PM
Woolly, you are not alone and you are most certainly not worthless. You are a being of infinite worth and potential. You may not believe that right now - but I do.

Thanks Sharky. I'll get there, just need to stop having such a low opinion of myself.
It comes and goes - this ones just lasted a fair bit of time, i guess.

Jim_Campbell

Sorry to add to the thread but..

I've been feeling pretty worthless for some time now. I've lost track with so many friends, just because I don't know what to say to them if I were to get in touch.

I hate my drawing. I've got no grasp of action, perspective, or anything other than someone just stood there. Doing nothing.

I never post any more, thinking my views are just irrelevent. I've missed the last couple of art/story votes due to moping instead of paying attention to dates.
I never even enter the art comps any more - they were my sole reason for drawing at one point!

I live in a friend's flat, I own nothing but a computer, some comics/books and a bed. No savings, and hitting 40 in a couple of weeks. Single too.

It's funny, but it's taken me a week of staring at a computer screen to raise the balls to type all this!

And my heartfelt hopes, wishes and love to all other members having a rough time. I do think of you all, even if I don't post to let you know it.
To quote Ringo: "Peace and love, peace and love"  :)

Got to be worth a try. It's doesn't work for everyone, but it's not quackery:

"The researchers conclude that the preparations of St. John's wort tested in these studies are superior to placebo and as effective as standard antidepressants in people with major depression. They also have fewer side effects than standard antidepressants."

NHS Source

I take one tablet a day, and up it to two or occasionally three (maximum allowed dose on the tablets I use) when the dark hound starts really scratching at the door. It's hard to prove a negative (ie: what state I would have been in otherwise) but I certainly notice a difference when I don't take it.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Every single word of that was true for me last year.  Things have got much better, though i didn't really believe they would at the time.  I'm pretty sure they will for you as well.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Woolly

I wrote all this as a form of catharthis, but the quick and genuine responses here have warmed the cockles* no end! Thankyou again. Really does help to know that I'm not alone in this, just wish I had some good advice for the rest of you. But then this is the nicest, most reasoned part of the interweb, so we must be doing something right  :)

I'll give the St Johns Wort a try, thanks again for the info on that.
With any luck, you may see me on the art threads again with (gasp) new material!

*No, not those cockles...

Tjm86

Quote from: Woolly on 18 March, 2016, 08:26:18 PM

You're absolutely right, I just want to attempt beating this thing myself first.
I love doing things for other people - I just want to start doing them for myself sometimes.*

*Christ, but that sounds selfish! Wasn't meant to!

Didn't the Bard say 'No Man is an island'?  Drawing on support from others is still 'doing it yourself'.  You choose to accept their support.  If you accept it, that is an action on your part and so is doing it for yourself.  That is not 'selfish' that is responsible.

I'm also going to echo Sharkey's comments.  Accept your own self worth.  It is greater than you think.  You have something to offer and are an individual of value.  The radio 'worthless' station is just one of many.  Just because you hear that broadcast does not mean that you have to accept it.  Thank it for it's commentary and tune in to a new one.

I know you don't believe it right now but you are strong enough.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 18 March, 2016, 08:55:32 PM
Didn't the Bard say 'No Man is an island'?

No. But John Donne did.* :-)

Cheers!

Jim

*See also: "...Never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." He could turn a phrase, that Donne.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

Huh. Art really is one of the most expressive, cathartic, emotionally uplifting things a human can do - but when it all goes wrong it can just be the absolute worst, can't it? I've been sunk into a few minor depressions in my time because my art's going badly - don't know if a down mood has a negative impact on the art, or a loss of art mojo brings on the mood. Either way, they seem to quickly feed each other and start an inexorable downward spiral. I end up feeling that my whole life thus far has been pretty much wasted, and that every drawing I've ever done was worthless.

Suffice to say Woolly that since I joined the board in 2005 your art has been in the top three of those boarders' styles who I've most, and most consistently, envied. You're good, fella! I hope you find a way out of the slump and see your way to picking up a pencil again soon.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tjm86

richerthanyou

The depression is getting worse.

But I did find a place selling mint condition discworld books at half the retail price so I'm filling the gaps in my collection.

so life isn't all bad.

Once I run out of books to read I'll be well stuffed mind.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)