Main Menu

I may get shot for this...

Started by marko10174, 23 April, 2017, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Quote from: Mister Pops on 29 April, 2017, 12:44:08 AM
Well if that's the case, ye don't kill trolls by ignoring them. Ye have to pity them. Trolls can't stand you feeling sorry fra them
And all this time I thought fire did the job...

Mardroid

Quote from: Smith on 29 April, 2017, 05:34:46 AM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 29 April, 2017, 12:44:08 AM
Well if that's the case, ye don't kill trolls by ignoring them. Ye have to pity them. Trolls can't stand you feeling sorry fra them
And all this time I thought fire did the job...

Nah, that just aggravates them. The best thing is to keep them chatting until the sun comes up.
(Joking aside, I don't think 'troll' is correct in this case. I wish we'd move on now, through.)

TordelBack

Nah, definitely not trollery of any kind. Just different (and completely wrong) opinions.

positronic

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 April, 2017, 10:04:39 AM
Nah, definitely not trollery of any kind. Just different (and completely wrong) opinions.

Opinions aren't facts, and so they aren't subject to right or wrong by definition. Such as whether someone enjoys something or doesn't, or receives an impression gleaned from reading a quotation that might have appeared differently to another reader who read the same quote, but whose frame of reference or background context was different. Opinions are subjective, not objective.

TordelBack

Regurgitating the dictionary is just a hopeless way to approach the Turing Test.

If you don't think opinions can be objectively wrong, I don't know what you must make of humanity.

positronic

I say that opinions are not like facts in that they are subject to disagreement, and to change or revision.

I revised my first opinion related to the Ron Smith quote extracted in Thrill-Power Overload in acknowledgement of the existence of a larger body of interviews which presents a different overall picture of Ron Smith than that isolated anecdote does by itself.

The Legendary Shark

Ron also used to draw posters for the BBC's Antiques Roadshow. In my opinion, the assumed fact that spending his time on these posters restricted the amount of Twoothy time available to him means that the BBC is evil and utterly corrosive to comicological creativity.

The BBC, therefore, must be destroyed.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

positronic

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 April, 2017, 10:53:33 AM
Ron also used to draw posters for the BBC's Antiques Roadshow. In my opinion, the assumed fact that spending his time on these posters restricted the amount of Twoothy time available to him means that the BBC is evil and utterly corrosive to comicological creativity.

The BBC, therefore, must be destroyed.

I'll go along with that, despite never having watched the show, based on the underlying theory that anything that takes time away from creating or reading comics is automatically somehow less good.

Smith

There is a reason I try to avoid internet arguments.In a persons life,there is maybe 5-6 people that can actually influence his/her opinion.Stranger on the internet is not one of them.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

hippynumber1

I've been reading this thread from the start and it's like watching a car crash.

JayzusB.Christ

I thought it started ok - if you don't like a style then fair enough.  It only got silly over the last few pages.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I'd agree with that - but it's the kind of comedy car crash caused by ice, mud or slippy grass mixed with general buffoonery that you get on You've Been Framed with a laughter track rather than the real-life, blood and snot everywhere, sweeping up the fingers kind of car crash you get on the M62. It's the kind of car crash you can't take seriously.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 April, 2017, 11:27:43 AM
rather than the real-life, blood and snot everywhere, sweeping up the fingers kind of car crash you get on the M62.

I think we both know which thread that describes.  ;)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 April, 2017, 11:40:10 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 April, 2017, 11:27:43 AM
rather than the real-life, blood and snot everywhere, sweeping up the fingers kind of car crash you get on the M62.

I think we both know which thread that describes.  ;)

Ahh the Underware [sic] thread. How I miss it, even though (or perhaps because) it too was objectively (or objectifyingly) wrong.