Main Menu

Guatemala

Started by Dash Decent, 07 July, 2021, 10:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Guatemala arrived on Monday and I finished it off on Tuesday, and that's only because it's been a hectic week.  What a contrast to the IDW "False Witness" which I (s)lumbered through for a couple of weeks.

Guatemala is a fantastic story.  The way the robots treat the humans is chilling.  I love how Dredd manages to wind up the robot General (Uno or Dos or both?) so easily every time they speak.  I didn't realise the little sidekick droid was writing down his every word, until the end of the story.

The Mechanismo units are brilliant.  I love how Colin MacNeil draws them (all the art is excellent) with their spaced-out legs, grippy-claw feet and giant chins (which it only occurs to me writing here now, is of course a nod to Dredd).

It's great that Dredd is coming to accept the Mechanismos and I really liked them too; perhaps because Dredd accepts them now or perhaps simply because they are presented as a positive force.  They are really powerful and I can see what a force they would be.

El Presidente is a suitably evil and egotistical villain.  We seem him carried off, but not disposed of, so he could always make a return.  The Humanista revolutionaries say they will try to torture him, so he could definitely be being kept alive somewhere.

I was initially disappointed when I found out about Hershey's daughter and grandchildren - not another Judge who's had children.  Giant, Rico... it's everyone but Joe!  I was really pleased when the 'answer' was revealed.  And now there's a character around who looks just like Hershey.

A top story.  I would have liked it to have been longer, though the Bennett Beeny story is excellent too, not to mention we get some Ezquerra in the middle of the book too.  The Judge Dredd-Strontium Dog tale is okay but lightweight:  I'm not so interested in Cal turning up yet again.  And rookie mistake trusting a couple of Stix brothers.  Would you?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

matty_ae

I agree on the Cal story being weak especially out of context (it was in a centenary special Prog 2000) It was nice to collect as much Wagner Dredd as possible as well as Ezquerra's final stuff. I think that's the way I judged it - rather than the stories being related to Guatemala.

Richard

Which stories are in it?

GoGilesGo

Guatemala
By Private Contract
Get Jerry Sing
The Trouble with Harry
The Victims of Bennett Beeny

Richard

Thank you!

Those are all good stories.

PsychoGoatee

This sounds like a terrific book, just ordered it. Wagner Dredd! And of course everyone else involved, some of my favs.

Hopefully they update the shop to include that story list, and on Amazon as well. Including even more acclaimed stories like The Victims of Bennett Beeny in the description would make it look even more enticing I'd think. Though those in the know are gonna buy it no matter what the cover says, and if there are contents on the web or not.  :D

GoGilesGo

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 17 July, 2021, 01:35:59 AM

Hopefully they update the shop to include that story list, and on Amazon as well.

agreed. seems odd rebellion do not list all the stories, particularly drawing attention to The Victims of Bennett Beeny as a great, short arc with call backs to the first ever Meg, and the LAST EVER Carlos Dredd.