Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Sorry to hear about your loss jonnys. It's always hard to lose a friend.

johnnystress

Thanks guys. In a strange way I think Paul would get a kick out of his obituary notice. RIP big lad.

http://rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=219316%2FPaul+%28Squiggle%29HAYDE%2FBallybrack%2FDublin#!prettyPhoto

JayzusB.Christ

Aw, crap. Really sorry to hear that, Johnny. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

That's crap Johnny, sorry for your loss.  Paul sounds like a great fellow.

Devons Daddy

That's a fine post! Johnny,
Loss of a fellow squaxx a sad one.
Good to have it acknowledged here.
I would suggest Each one of us would smile to be remembered here, upon our demise.
Very fitting.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

JOE SOAP

Nice tribute Johnny– hits home a little bit more since Paul came from the same hometown and went to the same secondary school as meself yet I never knew him. Now I wish I had. Small world as they say.

Ghost MacRoth

Bill Guarnere, Easy Company.  Not many of these guys left now. :(
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Dandontdare

My Auntie Edna, this afternoon from cancer, aged 86.

She was a hospital cleaner most of her life, 100% working class Northern, tiny but strong - the deliverer of much-feared rib-cracking hugs when we were small, and in return liable to being picked up a lot by us when we were older.

In addition to (apparently) entertaining me hugely as a baby with her rendition of "my boomerang won't come back", she used to get me the best presents when I was little- she got it in her head that I liked creepy stuff, so whenever she went on holiday to Blackpool, Fleetwood or Southport, she'd always bring me cap guns, rubber spiders and skeletons and pots of slime, basically all the stuff that your mum wouldn't.

In more recent years, she would drive my mum (her little sister) potty with her almost nightly phone calls, straight after Emmerdale of Coronation Street, with a  solid half hour of pointless blather. Most conversations would include one of the phrases: "Eeh, d'you know who's died?", "what did you have for your tea" or "I've just been to't doctor/dentist/optician/hospital/chiropodist/chemist with my ...."

After her husband died, my mum would go away for a week with her very year, and she once told me that Edna's eyes would open in the morning and she'd start talking and not stop till she closed them again to sleep.

She must've visited every dentist in Blackburn because her teeth were never "right" - at one period she had 3 sets on the go, Smilers, Eaters and Comfies, but she reduced that to 2 after finally finding a dentist who could supply Comfy Smilers. At family parties the signal that the starters had arrived or the buffet was open wasn't the saying of grace, but Edna "surreptitiously" changing her teeth.

She was mother, grandmother and great grandmother (to an unbroken female line until the youngest great grandson arrived). Her passing wasn't unexpected, she lived to a good age but she'll leave a big hole in our family.

judda fett

Lovely tribute to your aunty mate, very sorry for your loss.

TordelBack

Aye, great bit of heartfelt writing there DDD, well done, and my condolences. 

CrazyFoxMachine

Beautifully written DDD - what a wonderfully articulated tribute. Thinking about you and yours sir.

Hawkmumbler

My heart goes out to you and your family, DDD. From your little tribute I feel like I understand your late aunt completely.

Colin MacNeil

I wouldn't normally post on this thread, but there may be some who have come across a friend of mine who very sadly passed away suddenly on Saturday.

His name was John Ritchie, a native of Roslin, co author of Rosslyn Revealed and Rosslyn Chapel Decoded. He was the Grand Herald and spokesman for The Scottish Knights Templar, a regular contributor to the Sauniere Society, he was also a journalist, ex Reuters cameraman, documentary producer, secretary to the Midlothian Federation of Community Councils, one of the founders of the Scottish Community Broadcast Network, one of the founders of Edinburghguide.com, an executive producer for Hogmanay.net to name just a little of what this remarkable man did.

He tried to make the world a better place and inspire people to be better people, to believe in themselves and make a difference to their own lives, the lives of those around them and to the world.

Above all else he was one of my most dearest friends and I will miss him greatly. The world is indeed a dimmer place for the loss of his light.

Albion

Sad news for both of you Dandontdare and Colin.
They both sound like fine and interesting people. Sorry for both your losses.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Mabs

Sorry to hear of your losses, Dan and Colin.  :(
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie