Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Trout on 26 May, 2012, 11:29:41 PM
As usual, this thread is the human race's nadir.

Drunkenly stumbling into your most hated thread looking for a guilty thrill is the worst kind of middle class ghetto tourism. Some of us live here.

JOE SOAP

Trout

Hmmm... html failure here.

Let's not bother.

JOE SOAP

Trout

Well, I tried to reply to a past post but for some reason the quote tags were all over the place. I thought it best to modify the comment and remove its content. Why bother getting into an argument on the internet?

It's interesting that this thread doesn't even fulfil its original purpose any more. Apparently it's just for insulting one another now.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 May, 2012, 11:59:26 PM
Fuk da polis!

Lock the thread, Usher! That's the most succint summation of this thread and the collective outlook of forum members posssible; everything else that might follow would be redundant rephrasing and mere reiteration of Soap's rallying cry.

Fuck da polis, Joe; fuck da polis, indeed.

JOE SOAP

House of Usher

I like Spider-Man. He's a really good guy.
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

With Great Power comes Great Responsibility.

Some words for House of Usher to consider, there.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Trout

But Roger, your powers are also mighty. If you were given the terrible powers of a mod, you would become a tyrant.

That's right - Roger for mod!

JayzusB.Christ

Everyone's a nazi except me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 May, 2012, 08:41:17 PM
Protection of the voice/right of minorities: gays, race, religious belief, but none having a say over how the other should live their lives as long as it doesn't interfere with anybody else's choice?

What he said - and then some - it wasn't the fact that two guys get married in Canada (that's for the Canadians to decide), my problem is Marvel depicting in a comic-book widely read by many young kids what is a highly contentious and for some (myself included) a deeply troubling matter of the militant homosexual agenda attempting to insert themselves into every aspect of society, granted not all are like that, in fact I know many despise the militant activists in their 'community', believing it actually hinders rather than helps their cause, but One Million Moms have every right to call Marvel on it, and them doing so does not mean they are bigots nor does it mean they are trying to stifle free speech, not everyone thinks that particular lifestyle is either normal nor healthy (to the individual or society at large), it doesn't mean we want to kick the doors in and drag them out into the night, but their rights end where mine and those of a likewise socially conservative disposition begin, and that simply isn't the case at the moment where Christians are being actively prosecuted (persecuted?) by the authorities of several countries for not bowing the knee to a PC lifestyle 'choice' ... that was my point, sorry if this is dragging out a divisive argument, not trying to insult or offend anyone here, just an honest opinion...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Eric Plumrose

Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Frank

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 27 May, 2012, 04:05:26 AM
"(M)y problem is ... (the) deeply troubling matter of the militant homosexual agenda attempting to insert themselves into every aspect of society, granted not all are like that"

Do you see what your subconscious has done to you there, Neebs?

Quote"it doesn't mean we want to kick the doors in and drag them out into the night, but their rights end where mine ... begin ... Christians are being actively prosecuted (persecuted?) by the authorities of several countries for not bowing the knee to a PC lifestyle 'choice'"

We live in a European liberal democracy, where the extent of the persecution is a few desk monkeys being told to adhere to their employers' dress code, and registrars being reminded that their job involves marrying people. Like you and the 1MMoms, they have the right to say and do as they please, but no special right to be spared from that which they find offensive.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 27 May, 2012, 04:05:26 AM
One Million Moms have every right to call Marvel on it, and them doing so does not mean they are bigots nor does it mean they are trying to stifle free speech, not everyone thinks that particular lifestyle is either normal nor healthy (to the individual or society at large), it doesn't mean we want to kick the doors in and drag them out into the night, but their rights end where mine and those of a likewise socially conservative disposition begin, and that simply isn't the case at the moment where Christians are being actively prosecuted (persecuted?) by the authorities of several countries for not bowing the knee to a PC lifestyle 'choice' ... that was my point, sorry if this is dragging out a divisive argument, not trying to insult or offend anyone here, just an honest opinion...

How about just not buying the comics for their kids? That's 'choice' right there. Why should their view dictate what others print? The US is not a Theocracy and Marvel should not be forced to adapt their comics to reflect strict Christian values or any religious values, otherwise it's not America, is it?

It just seems hypocritical to actively espouse core American constitutional values but not to want them when something/somebody offends you. Isn't that part of the point?