Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 14 January, 2015, 04:35:37 PM
Research suggests that nearly half of Britons hold anti-Semitic views, according to a poll by YouGov.  45% believed that at least one anti-Semitic view presented to them was probably or definitely true, according to The Times newspaper.

Interesting discussion of this on Radio 4 this morning. According one (Jewish) academic, the survey's methodology is fairly suspect and certainly contradicts the Anti-Defamation League's own survey data which rates the UK as one of the least anti-semitic in the world.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

That's good to hear at least.

Theblazeuk

The propaganda machine has shown its hand so many times I'm too skeptical.

If we could separate Israeli from Jewish that'd be nice.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 January, 2015, 10:47:14 AM
Quote from: Old Tankie on 14 January, 2015, 04:35:37 PM
Research suggests that nearly half of Britons hold anti-Semitic views, according to a poll by YouGov.  45% believed that at least one anti-Semitic view presented to them was probably or definitely true, according to The Times newspaper.

Interesting discussion of this on Radio 4 this morning. According one (Jewish) academic, the survey's methodology is fairly suspect and certainly contradicts the Anti-Defamation League's own survey data which rates the UK as one of the least anti-semitic in the world.

Cheers

Jim

It's worth remembering that YouGov were founded and remain funded by prominent supporters of the Conservatives and their polls usually reflect a certain bias and are more often wrong than right, even by dint of statistical probability.  To be honest, though, I can't for a minute imagine why Tories would want Britons turning their focus upon a minority group that has traditionally been blamed for hoarding wealth at the expense of the poor, and I certainly can't see what a surge in this kind of opinion would serve in an election year.

Old Tankie

Hi Jim, thanks for pointing out that site, I found it really interesting.  I do hope the figures on that survey are more accurate than the YouGov one, although I still have my doubts.  The sample size of the survey you pointed out was, I think, 510, whereas I think the YouGov one was much larger.  But, even if it is right, the fact that nearly 4 million people in the UK hold anti-Semitic views is still scary.

As for Theblazeuk's point about separating Israel and Jews world wide, I'm amazed that people don't do that.  We don't assume that all Muslims agree with the policies of the five Islamic republics.

Richmond Clements

QuoteWe don't assume that all Muslims agree with the policies of the five Islamic republics.

Well, there *are* a disturbingly high number of people - Rupert Murdoch amongst them - who think it is reasonable to demand that every living Muslim condems the actions of the very few nutters or else they must support them (or somethnig equally stupid).

Old Tankie

That's a fair point but people that do think that are not reasonable and are idiots.  There are a lot of seemingly reasonable people who think that all Jews are the same as Israelis.  Coming from a part-Jewish British family and having lived and worked in Israel, I would tell anybody who cares to listen that comparing your average British Jew to an Israeli is like comparing chalk with cheese.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Old Tankie on 16 January, 2015, 02:45:14 PM
That's a fair point but people that do think that are not reasonable and are idiots.  There are a lot of seemingly reasonable people who think that all Jews are the same as Israelis.  Coming from a part-Jewish British family and having lived and worked in Israel, I would tell anybody who cares to listen that comparing your average British Jew to an Israeli is like comparing chalk with cheese.

And there's the problem right there. There are too many ill informed idiots. Not only in the public, but in the press and political sheres, in whos interest it is to keep us divided.

Old Tankie

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

The Legendary Shark

On the 9th of April, less than four months from now, this thread will be five years old.
I think we all deserve a pat on the back for not killing each other or setting fire to the internet.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy?

ZenArcade

Well I havent seen Man 2 Man about this past fortnight....c'mon, Shark where have you hidden him? Z  :-*
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

I don't know.
We didn't burn him...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack