Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: pictsy on 07 September, 2020, 06:14:50 PM
The Guyver.

I liked both the animes of this and hope to read the manga one day, but never saw the live action film.  It's crap, but watchable.  Someone, at some point during this production, had passion for the source material.  Then someone else thought it was stupid and joke.  I think there is another live action film with proper Zoanoids, so I might watch that on my next movie night.

Ages since I watched it but the second film is definitely a lot closer to the source material. I remember a review at the time comparing it to The Incredible Hulk telly series crossed with The Power Rangers, but gorier.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: M.I.K. on 08 September, 2020, 01:44:00 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 07 September, 2020, 06:14:50 PM
The Guyver.

I liked both the animes of this and hope to read the manga one day, but never saw the live action film.  It's crap, but watchable.  Someone, at some point during this production, had passion for the source material.  Then someone else thought it was stupid and joke.  I think there is another live action film with proper Zoanoids, so I might watch that on my next movie night.

Ages since I watched it but the second film is definitely a lot closer to the source material. I remember a review at the time comparing it to The Incredible Hulk telly series crossed with The Power Rangers, but gorier.

Yeah the second Guyver film (Dark Hero?) has some real Power Rangers vibes but I remember enjoying it for sticking more closely to the anime, it's definitely better than the first film. It's confusing though, round my way the first film was called Mutronics instead of The Guyver for some reason, although it might have been rebranded since then! I'm sure the cover art also had Mark Hamill transforming into The Guyver even though he's not the lead in the film so I guess they needed to push that Hamill star power.

I watched Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief, it was the kind of thing I was in the mood for and have to get the money's worth out of the Disney+ somehow while we wait for The Mandalorian! Fairly average family YA Potter style stuff.

I recognized the main actress but wasn't sure where from, turns out it's because my Instagram suggested accounts feed went through a few days of constantly throwing up fan pages devoted to pictures of her doing the shopping or getting in and out of cars, even though I honestly don't look for or follow any of those kinds of accounts. I'm not sure how Instagram's algorithm works, my wife gets loads of cool horror creature effects pages and that's what I want to see!

But anyway, Percy Jackson was okay I guess.

Keef Monkey

The Transporter 3 was a load of nonsense, even if it did have quite a fun gimmick in the Statham/Car explodey Wedlock idea. Totally unintelligible action though so didn't even really do the trick as a dumb action movie. I'm sure those fights were pretty good too before they were subjected to 7000 cuts per second, but I should have expected that from the director who once used 15 shots to show Liam Neeson hopping a small fence.

Colin YNWA

Elstree 1976

A pretty straightforward talking heads documentry that examines the lives before a moment of Star Warsdom and the lives after of 6 or 7 bit part players (and David Prowses) in Star Wars. It should be dull, but it crafts a wonderful diverse set of journeys to a single point. The impact of that shared moment and the diverse paths they all follow afterwards. Turns it into a fascinatingly human story.

The fact that its Star Wars that unites these folks is almost academic, expect it brings the audience to the yard and so its very smart piece of work and I'd heartily recommend it. As long as you accept and embrace the face its almost 2 hours of talking heads, which I'm fine with.

pictsy

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 10 September, 2020, 10:12:03 AM
The Transporter 3 was a load of nonsense, even if it did have quite a fun gimmick in the Statham/Car explodey Wedlock idea. Totally unintelligible action though so didn't even really do the trick as a dumb action movie. I'm sure those fights were pretty good too before they were subjected to 7000 cuts per second, but I should have expected that from the director who once used 15 shots to show Liam Neeson hopping a small fence.

I wouldn't say the first Transporter is anything note worthy, but the sequels took a nose dive in quality.  I don't really remember what happens in them, but after my last viewing of them I vowed never to watch them again.  There are definitely better Statham films.

Keef Monkey

Yeah it had some inventive fights but they were just too frantically presented to be enjoyable! I did enjoy the first as a cheesy action romp though.

Watched The Canal this morning (on Amazon and Shudder), it was a pretty decent Irish ghost story with some really creepy moments. A lot of it maybe a tad too predictable if you're well versed in that sort of thing but definitely an impressive stab at the genre.

Apestrife

Had a real shit day at work, and left early around lunch. Walked past a cinema, and there were still tickets left for TENET in IMAX. So I watched it for the third time. Not only did I understand 80% of the story this time, but it also had quite an effect on me. Both what I percieved as the message of Washington's The Protagonist but also the whole backwards thing. Went beyond being just a fun gimmick for me so to say. It also had an effect on me when waiting for the train on the opposite side of the platform  --because for a moment logic told me that trains moves backwards haha.

Another thing I noticed was how much I like the soundtrack to the film. Especially TRUCKS IN PLACE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSiqlwkK7U

Apestrife

Saw Showgirls tonight. Very entertaining (at least up to a certain scene towards the end). Every bit as campy and sleazy as I imagined it to be. And for all it's nudity it felt very un-erotic. It feels like the film trusts the viewer to be in on the joke. The tone reminded me alot of Starship Troopers, especially the way dehumanisation is glorified. Especially of it's "heroes".

Keef Monkey

Don't often out documentaries on (with movies we're usually after escapism!) but watched Hail Satan last night and it was brilliant. Funny and entertaining and really interesting. I think Lucien Greaves might be my new hero. On Netflix, recommend!

Tiplodocus

So TENET is pretty damned good despite some absolutely major flaws. 

It's hard to review in too much detail or even in broad strokes without spoiling it so really don't  click on below.

[spoiler]The finale is very, very hard to follow. Yes I get the gist but it just seemed like lots of people running around, some backwards, while firing guns. It would have been better suited to a smaller scale - but still a time ponder- where the squads had clear objectives.

And yeah, the film needs a female lead. I know, let's put her in an abusive relationship storyline. That's really what this time heist movie needs.

And yeah, Nolan needs the sound mix person not to know the script inside out because so much crucial dialogue is drowned out.

Oh and for the first forty minutes I thought The film should have been called BASILISAB

Geuinenly would love to see someone with a sense of humour make the same film.[/spoiler]

But fark me, I'm glad Nolan is here to take a look at my favourite medium, that relies on sequences of images and story telling being done in a forward manner and say "Foes it though?". And not only do it in an art house movie but to make wildly entertaining blockbusters out of it.

There was a Black Widow trailer too. I realised I am so done with Marvel. I enjoyed their 40 hour tv series but it No longer excites me.

My first cinema trip and I felt it was the safest public experience I've had some lockdown. Safer than pubs or restaurants or giving blood. Ten people in a massive auditorium. And I got a Vegan Magnum too.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rately

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 14 September, 2020, 12:55:52 AM

There was a Black Widow trailer too. I realised I am so done with Marvel. I enjoyed their 40 hour tv series but it No longer excites me.

Totally agree.

The only thing they have coming that i'm vaguely interested in, is the Sam Raimi Doctor Strange, and even then, i'd rather he was making something original. Mind you, there is still time for "creative differences" to surface.

Keef Monkey

Yeah I did really enjoy the whole Marvel saga and loved going to see Endgame and having all of that wrap up, but it just feels done to me now, Endgame put a nice full stop on it and I can't seem to muster any enthusiasm for more!

Watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle, the first film was fun and I'd heard this one wasn't as good and it really is a bit of a mess. Still had its fun moments, have to admit we [spoiler]laughed at a few of the Elton John gags despite (or more likely because of) how silly it was[/spoiler], but a bit disappointing even going in with low expectations.

Also [spoiler]Aliens of The Deep[/spoiler], a James Cameron underwater doc on Disney +. Pretty interesting, looking at a trip to the bottom of the ocean from the point of view of it being prep for what exploring somewhere like Europa might be like. Was a pretty good watch.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 14 September, 2020, 10:26:47 AM
Watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle, the first film was fun and I'd heard this one wasn't as good and it really is a bit of a mess. Still had its fun moments, have to admit we [spoiler]laughed at a few of the Elton John gags despite (or more likely because of) how silly it was[/spoiler], but a bit disappointing even going in with low expectations.

I watched this too and it was ok and then watched League of Extraordinary Gentleman which was ok as well and it got me thinking about the 2000AD connections and how did these characters get to the big screen yet other characters and stories (in my mind better) within the tooth world never get a mention !!

Maybe in the future with their big new studio at hand they will start? Let's hope Dante🤞🏻😉
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

repoman

I feel like that Black Widow film doesn't need to be made at all.  Aside from the fact that Marvel films should have stopped at the end of Infinity Gauntlet or whatever it was called because that would have been a brave ending, but I feel like the BW film is going to just be the same as all the other female solo agent kicks a lot of men unconscious films.  Red Sparrow, Atomic Blonde etc etc.

Still, I enjoyed Arnie, Van Damme and Stallone basically making the same film over and over for two decades so maybe I should shut up.

Keef Monkey

Antiviral, which I think is the first Brandon Cronenberg film I've seen. I'm sure I won't be the first person to comment that he's definitely inherited some of his dad's sensibilities and eye for squirmy body horror, and it's got some really interesting/horrible ideas about the fixation with celebrity and it feels horribly plausible (if you were selling cold sores harvested from the lips of Lady Ga Ga someone would definitely buy them). Good, but icky so not for everyone.