Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: Simply the best – The Magnificent 7

Started by broodblik, 04 July, 2022, 04:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Welcome to the seventh knockout round where we will choose our favorite story arc.

We already have eight story arcs that has qualified.

Whom is the next to do a takedown? The best ABC Warriors book is naturally The Volgan Wars:
-   Yay, you are spot on
-   Nay, surely you are mistaken it must be .................................

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

*spits tea all over the keyboard*

I'm very fond of The Khronicles of Khaos - the art is astounding and the comedy is spot on, but it's the dark meanderings of The Black Hole that stands out as the best - with astounding art from break-out talent Bisley accompanied by the wildly talented SMS.

The first series is, of course, worth a mention, and would take the third place slot - if nothing else, for Mad George, Colossus of Mars. The Volgan Wars is all very well, but it doesn't even beat Red Planet Blues or Nemesis, Book IV for best ABCs.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

While the Volgan Wars is a real return to form and there are some good bit, some great bits along the way this is another Mills thrill which I don't think gets beyond its original run so I go

The Meknificent Seven

or whatever we are calling the first series.

Magnetica

Barrington Boots

It's The Black Hole for me too. The ending is all rushed and terrible, but prior to that point the art is oustanding and the story is great.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

credo

Are we classifying the original run at the full deal, or as split between the Volgan War/forming the team stage and the original Mars mission (Book 1 and Book 2, although that feels like a more recent way of splitting things to me)?

Love both (with Black Hole a close third), but think the forming the team part (with the Straw Dogs! The Knights Martial! Mongrol!) is probably best.

Also have a huge soft spot for the 'getting the band back together' run of issues in Nemesis Book 4.

Aaron A Aardvark

I really like The Black Hole but when I think about the Warriors I remember Blackblood being shot through the head and Deadlock riding up that pyramid. The Meknificent Seven had the coolest line-up, too.

Magnetica

Quote from: credo on 04 July, 2022, 09:22:43 AM
Are we classifying the original run at the full deal, or as split between the Volgan War/forming the team stage and the original Mars mission (Book 1 and Book 2, although that feels like a more recent way of splitting things to me)?

Love both (with Black Hole a close third), but think the forming the team part (with the Straw Dogs! The Knights Martial! Mongrol!) is probably best.

Also have a huge soft spot for the 'getting the band back together' run of issues in Nemesis Book 4.

I'm counting both together, as they ran unbroken in the Prog.

AlexF

Some of the individual stories from the opening run are my favourites (The Red Death, first meeting with Mongrol and The Mess), and certainly the basica premise and various bits of Black Hole are the most exciting - but I think as a whole story that feels consistent, has intriguing ideas, a good dose of silliness, and just outstanding art all the way through...
Khronikles of Khaos. 1990s 2000AD forever!

With that hat on I can almost understand suggesting that the Volgan War is the best... almost. I know I really like 2 of the 4 books but can never remember which 2, which isn't a great sign.

Rogue Judge

I totally agree. The Volgan Wars was the first ABC warriors  story I read. I was excited to read more 'Warriors but nothing else stood upto the enjoyment of Volgan wars. Meknificant Seven is awesome and close, and the rest isn't my cup o' tea.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I think my love for the ABCs runs too deep to choose- and I'm still angry that a Mek-Files 4 hasn't appeared. And also, all respect to Pat, but everyone knows the best ABCs story is Red Planet Blues by Mr Moore.

But I'm voting the Meknificent Seven, despite loving the strip to the very end.

SBT

Huey2

Magnificent Seven.
The series has always been blessed with fantastic artists but I did prefer it when they actually looked like robots.
The Warriors themselves are never better.
Deadlock is properly sinister and there's a feeling that hes barely kept in check by Hammerstein - something which is lost once he becomes centre stage villain or comedy magician. Pineapples and Mongrol are at their best before they learn how to speak. Hammerstein isn't the butt of the jokes but a proper hero.

And then there are some great moments you wouldn't get in any other comic. The opening scenes of the Red Death surpassed only by its closing scenes.
But most of all there's Mad George. Never questioned it at the time but looking back its got to be the only feel-good terrorist story going.

broodblik

Looks like the title influence the most since we have a clear favorite but you have until Monday to change your mind
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Voting Closed

So the title is the winner The Magnificent 7

Funt Solo

Meknificent, you heathens!

It's a good series, aye.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++