Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuffsteruk

7   Dredd 3D   $346,906   37%   2,557   51   $136   $11,548,247   2   Lionsgate

Another decent day.

Stan

So does the '51' mean it's being shown in more venues this week? That seems a little odd.

Dreddzilla

Quote from: judge devs on 03 October, 2012, 10:23:42 PM
Interesting turn up for the books.

The Bristol Showcase Deluxe is starting to show the 2D verison of Dredd into the middle of next week (at least), starting on Friday after the 3D finishes tomorrow. Only one other of another 7 cinemas in Bristol is showing it into next week and that is only one 3D showing each night.

I went to see it again tonight with CrazyFoxMachine, and I know it was an 'Orange Wednesday', but this was comfortably the busiest screening I've been to out of 6 so far, 70-80 people in there.

Still some life in the old boy yet.
Was this a 2-D showing?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Stan on 03 October, 2012, 11:19:36 PM
So does the '51' mean it's being shown in more venues this week? That seems a little odd.

It's being shown in 2,557. The 51 is a percentage fall in comparison to the same day last week.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: hazy efc on 03 October, 2012, 10:15:11 PM
im going with between 45 to 50 mil i aint buyin the 75mil one  :thumbsup:

The actual production budget to make the film was $35 million.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 October, 2012, 12:25:51 AM

It's being shown in 2,557. The 51 is a percentage fall in comparison to the same day last week.

Nope. Dredd has actually opened in an extra 51 theatres in the US -it is only a small number, but it all counts. Dredd for Tuesday is only a few thousand behind Resident Evil (which unfortunately is hugely popular despite being terrible).

Went to see Dredd at Bolton Imax in Real 3D, didn't really notice much difference in quality, but the sound system was not very good.Last showing there is tomorrow night.It had a headcount score of 22.

If Dredd can keep out there for a decent amount of time, maybe push some more 2D prints out...the final figure might not be as bad as feared..

MR. ELIMINATOR

OK now I am really confused. Why would they spend the same amount of money that it cost to make a film to advertise it as well. Surely it couldn't be $72 million all together. Then Alex Garland's comment about the $50 mil mark for a sequel wouldn't make any sense as it would still be down on money.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: judge devs on 03 October, 2012, 10:23:42 PMThe Bristol Showcase Deluxe is starting to show the 2D verison of Dredd into the middle of next week (at least), starting on Friday
Showcase is doing the same here. Friday/Saturday get 22:00 and 00:15 showings; Sunday and Monday get 22:00.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 04 October, 2012, 12:39:43 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 October, 2012, 12:25:51 AM

Nope. Dredd has actually opened in an extra 51 theatres in the US

I had suspected that but it does match the % fall too. I wonder does this mean they're pushing out some 2D.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 04 October, 2012, 12:40:16 AM
OK now I am really confused. Why would they spend the same amount of money that it cost to make a film to advertise it as well. Surely it couldn't be $72 million all together. Then Alex Garland's comment about the $50 mil mark for a sequel wouldn't make any sense as it would still be down on money.

The $50 mill would be the production budget + marketing in the US.

judge devs

Quote from: Mr 9.8 on 03 October, 2012, 11:40:31 PM
Quote from: judge devs on 03 October, 2012, 10:23:42 PM
Interesting turn up for the books.

The Bristol Showcase Deluxe is starting to show the 2D verison of Dredd into the middle of next week (at least), starting on Friday after the 3D finishes tomorrow. Only one other of another 7 cinemas in Bristol is showing it into next week and that is only one 3D showing each night.

I went to see it again tonight with CrazyFoxMachine, and I know it was an 'Orange Wednesday', but this was comfortably the busiest screening I've been to out of 6 so far, 70-80 people in there.

Still some life in the old boy yet.
Was this a 2-D showing?

No the showing I went to last night was 3D, and at that particular Showcase they're stopping showing the 3D version tonight (Thursday) and starting showing the 2D twice if not three times a night for a week from Friday. Nowhere in Bristol out of 7 or 8 cinemas in the city has shown the 2D until now. Nearest previously was Cardiff.

judge devs

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 October, 2012, 01:29:05 AM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 04 October, 2012, 12:40:16 AM

The $50 mill would be the production budget + marketing in the US.

So $70 is about right for the total global budget, $35M production, $15M US marketing, $20M rest of the world marketing?

Gonk

I noticed quite a bit of difference between the two versions. You become aware of a lot more of the detail in the film, colours seem better defined and don't merge and blend together as much. The narcotic sequences in the film worked just as well in 2D, which suprised me. All in all, there isn't a downside to the film.
coming at a cinema near you soon

judge devs

I'm certianly going to check it out, probably twice just to sure.

hazy efc

are they releasing dredd in france and japan i think it would do great in japan