Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazy efc

Quote from: Stan on 06 October, 2012, 12:29:16 AM
Do Yourself a Favor and See Dredd 3D Instead of Taken 2
http://gawker.com/5949128/do-yourself-a-favor-and-see-dredd-3d-instead-of-taken-2
I really liked taken 1 ive got to admit, but im going to avoid the 2nd one as ive heard its awful
it will still do big box office numbers the numbers that dredd deserves to be making

Stan

Yeah, I liked the first Taken. I disagree with him on that bit. The whole 12A thing and rogue daughter crap has put me off the sequel though.

And I agree, it'll make a fucking bomb.

Dreddzilla

Quote from: strangelysaucy on 04 October, 2012, 09:45:22 PM
Quote from: Michaelvk on 04 October, 2012, 08:08:34 PM
Miffed because they didn't get action figures to produce perhaps?

this HAS to happen at some point!
I'd prefer to have Action figures based on the way they look in the Prog's not the movie. (just my preference)

judge devs

Quote from: Aonghus on 06 October, 2012, 12:08:30 AM
Quote from: judge devs on 05 October, 2012, 10:43:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, having seen the 3D version 6 times and loved it, I just found the picture clearer and sharp and easier to watch. It could be because I wear glasses and have to wear the 3D ones over the top, but the 2D experience for me was a good deal more enjoyable.

That's infuriating, isn't it? I ended up taking my glasses off, and watching it just with the 3d specs, so the beauty of the slow mo scenes was lost a little bit thanks to the blurriness...

I guess it depends on how bad your eye sight is and whether or not your comfortable not wearing them. Personallyy I'm not. If I had thought about it I'd have gotten an up to date contact presrciption before the film came out.

The other thing is I didn't appreciate the difference until I was able to watch the 2D version, so thought that what I was seeing when watching the 3D was actually ok.

Gonna go back and watch the 2D at least once more.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Stan on 06 October, 2012, 01:31:50 AM
Yeah, I liked the first Taken. I disagree with him on that bit. The whole 12A thing and rogue daughter crap has put me off the sequel though.

I've heard people who enjoyed the first say that it's been edited so mercilessly to get a last minute 12A that there are scenes that make no sense at all (Neeson apparently just needs to walk into a room and look at someone and they'll appear dead suddenly).

Bat King

I am a glasses wearer and am surprised so many glasses wearers list this as a big issue against 3d. Now I must say I prefer 2d in most cases (not seen this in 2d yet) but that is an artistic preference, I think mostly 3d is badly used and it annoys me. The glasses fit fine over my glasses, always have. Is it my glasses??? I know I've not always had the exact same stle so maybe not. I don't even find the glasses a minor issue.

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Aonghus

Quote from: judge devs on 06 October, 2012, 09:47:50 AM
Quote from: Aonghus on 06 October, 2012, 12:08:30 AM
Quote from: judge devs on 05 October, 2012, 10:43:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, having seen the 3D version 6 times and loved it, I just found the picture clearer and sharp and easier to watch. It could be because I wear glasses and have to wear the 3D ones over the top, but the 2D experience for me was a good deal more enjoyable.

That's infuriating, isn't it? I ended up taking my glasses off, and watching it just with the 3d specs, so the beauty of the slow mo scenes was lost a little bit thanks to the blurriness...

I guess it depends on how bad your eye sight is and whether or not your comfortable not wearing them. Personallyy I'm not.

Quote from: Bat King on 06 October, 2012, 01:20:20 PM
I am a glasses wearer and am surprised so many glasses wearers list this as a big issue against 3d. Now I must say I prefer 2d in most cases (not seen this in 2d yet) but that is an artistic preference, I think mostly 3d is badly used and it annoys me. The glasses fit fine over my glasses, always have. Is it my glasses??? I know I've not always had the exact same stle so maybe not. I don't even find the glasses a minor issue.

In my case, I have reasonably bad eyesight and an astigmatism, so watching without the glasses is annoying, but because of the shape of my nose it can't support both my normal specs and the chunky-ass 3d glasses without having to do a futile nerdy push-them-up-the-bridge-of-my-nose dealie.

It's not an insurmountable issue mind, and given an absorbing film I forget about whichever irritation I've settled on after about 5-10 minutes; it's just not ideal :P

judge devs

Quote from: Bat King on 06 October, 2012, 01:20:20 PM

I'm not saying I found it a particular issue, as to be honest until I saw the 2D version I hadn't considered it. At no time whilst watching did I think it was an issue, I didn't feel it was getting in the way of my enjoyment of the film. It's that I found the 2D version so much clearer and sharper then the 3D one, and I was rather surprised. This is the first movie I have seen both the 2D and 3D versions in the cinema and has wondering if being a glasses wearer might have been a contributing factor.

I'm not so sure it was, I think it is just the case that 2D version really is clearer and sharper and that 3D technology, although adding a nice depth to some scens, does actually make the image a bit less sharper then it should be.  I was just surprised at how big I thought the contrast between the two versions was.

auxlen

QuoteThe whole 12A thing and rogue daughter crap has put me off the sequel though.

indeed. me and themrs loved the first one. i mean properly loved it*....as soon as we saw the daughter is involved in the trailer (while watching dredd) we both groaned and went 'fuck that!'

* most of you know we are suckers for revenge/kicking ass movies.

The Sherman Kid

Why are the UK box office figures so painfully slow to come out, we still haven't got last weekends figures yet?

Stan

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 October, 2012, 12:45:38 PM
Quote from: Stan on 06 October, 2012, 01:31:50 AM

I've heard people who enjoyed the first say that it's been edited so mercilessly to get a last minute 12A that there are scenes that make no sense at all (Neeson apparently just needs to walk into a room and look at someone and they'll appear dead suddenly).

In fairness, Bryan Mills is kinda hard. I would probably faint too.

@auxlen

I don't blame either of you. It looks like Spy Kids. Except with just one Kid. Maybe Agent Codey Banks or whatever it's called.

Bat King

Quote from: Aonghus on 06 October, 2012, 01:33:12 PM

In my case, I have reasonably bad eyesight and an astigmatism, so watching without the glasses is annoying, but because of the shape of my nose it can't support both my normal specs and the chunky-ass 3d glasses without having to do a futile nerdy push-them-up-the-bridge-of-my-nose dealie.

It's not an insurmountable issue mind, and given an absorbing film I forget about whichever irritation I've settled on after about 5-10 minutes; it's just not ideal :P

I can't see the film at all without glasses...

Quote from: judge devs on 06 October, 2012, 05:07:27 PM

I'm not so sure it was, I think it is just the case that 2D version really is clearer and sharper and that 3D technology, although adding a nice depth to some scens, does actually make the image a bit less sharper then it should be.  I was just surprised at how big I thought the contrast between the two versions was.

3D is darker than 2D and 2D is definitely sharper. as I said, I prefer 2D in most cases. Not even been offered 2D yet...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 06 October, 2012, 06:51:01 PM
Why are the UK box office figures so painfully slow to come out, we still haven't got last weekends figures yet?

http://industry.bfi.org.uk/weekendboxoffice

The Bissler

Thanks Joe - that is the first time I've looked at the UK box office figures for some time, and (given the disappointing and somewhat depressing news from the U.S.) I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the overall takings for Dredd seem to be on a par with most of the competition.
After weeks of badgering, I finally managed to talk a few people in my work into seeing it this week.  They absolutely loved it, but I just wished I could have talked them into going sooner so there would have been more time for them to have recommended it to their friends...  At least one of them is now going to try out the Case Files as a result!

Dreddzilla