Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 December, 2023, 09:24:15 AM(For example, are 2000 AD fans collecting these volumes more likely to want the rest of The Order – for which the repro is already sorted – or would Cannon Fodder combined with another 100–150 pages to fill a book out sell more copies to offset the extra work?)

------------------------------------------------------------

god as much as it hurts me to say being a canon fodder apologist....i would rather have the order finished

Richard

I think Ezquerra did his best fully-painted, not-done-on-a-computer art on Inferno. It's such a shame that it was wasted on a terrible story.

That was Grant Morrison, mind. I can't think of much of Mark Millar's 2000AD work that I like. I do quite like Silo, but it has a scene which is too obviously ripped off from Die Hard for it to be reprinted anywhere, unfortunately.

Bad Andy

IndigoPrime

I suspect Maniac 5 wouldn't do well in a re-read. I remember it being better than the rest of the Morrison/Millar shit in the so-called Summer Offensive.

Funt Solo

I didn't enjoy the character design for Maniac 5. On the one had, a robot - on the other hand, drawn quite biologically - with a stretchy mouth and so on. It was more like Rambo had painted himself silver. I recall also disliking Soul Gun Warrior, from the same era - mostly because it seemed anachronistic. The perhaps irony is that Soul Gun Warrior has enough depth that I can now recognize its timeless quality. Time hasn't improved things for Maniac 5.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Vector14

I read some of the second Maniac 5 story recently after I picked up a random pile of old progs.

In the link Bad Andy posted above, Millar seems to think he's written some ultraviolent all action thrill ride but its just incredibly boring.

I skipped over it after 2 or 3 issues.

Lawman of the Present

As an unhealthily-obsessive Dreddverse completionist, I keep looking at the remaining unknown UC vols hoping they'll have material that's never been, and unlikely to be, collected physically. Though, the rational part of me says there may be a good reason why certain stories have never been collected by this point...

I think I mentioned some time back about the 90s Hershey stories being uncollected.

There's a bunch of DeMarco episodes too, besides those included in the Mega Collection Simping Detective book. I've no idea whether they were well received on release?

Tales from the Black Museum has been released digital-only, and there's a lot there beyond the contents of the MC volume.

Richard

Igor Goldkind and Kevin Cullen did two decent Judge Hershey stories. The other Hershey stories were rubbish.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 05 December, 2023, 08:50:47 PMAs an unhealthily-obsessive Dreddverse completionist, I keep looking at the remaining unknown UC vols hoping they'll have material that's never been, and unlikely to be, collected physically. Though, the rational part of me says there may be a good reason why certain stories have never been collected by this point...

I think I mentioned some time back about the 90s Hershey stories being uncollected.

There's a bunch of DeMarco episodes too, besides those included in the Mega Collection Simping Detective book. I've no idea whether they were well received on release?

Tales from the Black Museum has been released digital-only, and there's a lot there beyond the contents of the MC volume.

If you go older theres the Black Atlantic/Captain Skank stories as well.  That should have provided a nice little tie in to Apocalypse War.

Read Flesh volume 2.  I enjoyed it, but what happened with Carver and his daughter seems to have been left ambiguous.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Funt Solo

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 05 December, 2023, 08:50:47 PMThere's a bunch of DeMarco episodes too, besides those included in the Mega Collection Simping Detective book. I've no idea whether they were well received on release?

Looking at my listing, I'd suggest that the Robbie Morrison ones (2000-2002) are interesting, but not vital. She has a gorilla-butler sidekick in those ones. They do have the advantage of giving her a character beyond "young Judge fancies Dredd".

I wasn't terribly enamoured by the Carroll stories (2013-2016) because one of the difficulties with the character as a premise is that they are usually in situations that would get other folk cubed, and so we keep having to retread the "normally, you'd get locked up for this, you naughty scamp" stuff. Points for trying to do something with Mega-City Two (aka SovSec), but perhaps too many special monsters. Pretty sure the baddy ends up being Blofeld, as well.

File all of DeMarco PI under "I wish this was working better than it is".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

And yet all of that beats making her eye candy girlfriend for Jack Point, or whatever his name was.

Blue Cactus

I've always felt DeMarco's solo series
should have been better, because she was quite a compelling character in The Pit and her other early appearances. I didn't love her being mega-wealthy, or her gorilla manservant. She lost the element of being an essentially good person who is drawn to things that aren't good for her, or who makes bad choices at times, and became a bit bland as a result. Ideally by now she'd have years worth of history and a load of interesting supporting characters and have had some character development. Happy to give the latest series a go in the Meg though.

Agreed that all the solo stuff was better than the way she was treated in the Simping Detective.

Jade Falcon

I've got a big backlog of at least a dozen books to read.  I just haven't had the enthusiasm for general reading lately due to personal and health issues.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

The Monarch

so is the scarlet traces book the first time in the partworks that has reprinted stuff that was never in 2000ad or the megazine?

Hackenbush

Quote from: The Monarch on 09 December, 2023, 12:47:59 AMso is the scarlet traces book the first time in the partworks that has reprinted stuff that was never in 2000ad or the megazine?
Blackhawk had the Tornado stories
Ro-busters had the Starlord stories