Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Okay, as John seems hell bent on making this personal, I shall bow out of the conversation now.

Trout

Take it easy, lads. This one's got flame war written all over it.

I think you should all leave it for tonight.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 05 January, 2013, 07:14:55 PM
By the way the BBC admitted they were left leaning in their news not long ago, in fact it was on the news!

You'll notice that when Labour is in power, they complain about anti-government bias in the BBC, and when the Tories are in power, they complain about anti-government bias in the BBC.

Should we not be proud of having a state broadcaster that is so consistently and even-handedly an irritant to whichever political flavour the government of the day happens to be?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Buttonman

Bollocks to that just having a bit of banter.

My bad - you didn't specify which part of the ITV/BBC comment you were HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAing about - guess it helps to make a specific and respectful remarks regarding someone else's opinion to avoid being misinterpreted.

To be precise - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA etc.

JOE SOAP

Cease these childish ejaculations!

Buttonman

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 January, 2013, 07:20:04 PM

Should we not be proud of having a state broadcaster that is so consistently and even-handedly an irritant to whichever political flavour the government of the day happens to be?

Anyone who followed BBC Scotland's handling of the Rangers Tax case will smirk at the 'even handed' suggestion. They had a (laughably BAFTA winning) documentary that stated for fact that Rangers were cheats and tax dodgers. But lo, Rangers won their tax tribunal and a lot of egg was on face and backtracking was done. Not respecting due process and clearly having a biased agenda certainly doesn't give them any moral high ground over the Sunday Sport, never mind ITV.

Professor Bear

BBC outposts usually reflect the failings of their region and ours (BBCNI) is likewise a joke with programming to match (light on the parochial entertainment they're supposed to be providing and heavy on documentaries and political soapboxes that can be sold elsewhere), but I still support the main body over the alternatives like Sky or Fox setting the agenda.  Without the Beeb, tv would be like a William Gibson novel.

CF makes a salient point that the women's underware thread has no male counterpart.  It is clear we need to fix this double standard immediately with a thread dedicated to fit blokes.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 05 January, 2013, 07:56:02 PM
BBC outposts usually reflect the failings of their region and ours (BBCNI) is likewise a joke with programming to match (light on the parochial entertainment they're supposed to be providing and heavy on documentaries and political soapboxes that can be sold elsewhere)

Do you miss Give My head Peace that much?

Quote from: Professor Bear on 05 January, 2013, 07:56:02 PM
CF makes a salient point that the women's underware thread has no male counterpart.  It is clear we need to fix this double standard immediately with a thread dedicated to fit blokes.

Get all your personal pics ready.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Buttonman on 05 January, 2013, 07:44:00 PM
Anyone who followed BBC Scotland's handling of the Rangers Tax case will smirk at the 'even handed' suggestion.

I have no idea how you think plucking a single example from a regional division over something as partisan and sectarian as Glaswegian football has the least relevance to what I posted.

Thank you for playing, though.

Jim

Buttonman

I believe I have provided a legitimate and high profile example which contradicted you argument.

Thank you for your patronage.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Buttonman on 05 January, 2013, 08:22:14 PM
I believe I have provided a legitimate and high profile example which contradicted you argument.

I can't help what you believe and if I have to explain why your example doesn't engage with my observations about national government then, well, I don't know where to start. I'm not patronising you (and I'm certainly not your patron), I'm pointing out that you might as well be responding with: "Yeah? Well, I don't like cheese!" for all the relevance your response had.

Jim

Buttonman

All for a bit of debate but baffled by that rebuttal. So ends my dalliance with the political thread!

TordelBack

Quote from: Buttonman on 05 January, 2013, 08:43:29 PM
All for a bit of debate but baffled by that rebuttal. So ends my dalliance with the political thread!

Good here, innit?

Trout

Rangers are shite.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 05 January, 2013, 08:51:24 PM

Rangers are shite.

No. But I suspect their owners have alot of explaining to do.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.