Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 July, 2016, 08:32:35 AM
Quote from: ZenArcade on 12 July, 2016, 09:57:17 PM
Well there's one thing for sure we're all going to be a lot poorer. You couldn't have made this bullshit up. Z

Some of us get paid in dollars...

(Note: I'd trade the increased income for the opposite result in the referendum in a heartbeat, but you gotta find your silver linings where you can...)
Lucky for some, you, Mr.Holden and Paul Grist should be quite comfertable!

Theblazeuk

I think more than 3% of Leave voters have probably lost their convictions following the complete disappearance of all campaign promises and leaders in just a few weeks. And the complete reversal in headlines and claims.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 July, 2016, 05:17:44 PM
Quote from: Old Tankie on 12 July, 2016, 04:44:25 PM
We have a parliamentary democracy and Mrs May was elected to Parliament, so, in my view, no need for a General Election.
Oddly enough, Mrs May took the exact opposite view to you when Gordon Brown took over from Tony Blair. She was very clear that she thought there should be a general election.

I know May supporters are in the minority here but honestly, wouldn't it be nice if the supporters ever actually compared what she says to what she does? I'd at least enjoy an attempt at a rationalisation. I don't quite agree there should be a general election but I remember the outcry when Brown took over from Blair - and as I mentioned, that was a much more...smooth...affair. This is pretty atypical of anything prior.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 July, 2016, 06:56:52 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 July, 2016, 03:16:22 PMWish people had paid attention during that particular referendum (and if the usual idiots hadn't whined about it not being the 'right reform' when the alternative is always 'no reform')
I voted in favour of AV, but was also one of those "idiots". Frankly, it was a stitch-up, designed to silence for a generation the need for electoral reform.

It was definitely a case of choosing between 'no change' and 'very little, almost inconsequential change'. However I'll take the latter over the former and in any case, either result silenced for a generation the need for electoral reform - but the former silenced it conclusively.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 July, 2016, 08:34:46 AM
Lucky for some, you, Mr.Holden and Paul Grist should be quite comfertable!

Not really. There's a brief honeymoon period before the exchange rate pushes the costs of everything else up and wipes the benefit out.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Grugz

...and now they've took tipping point and the chase off to hang around waiting live for dave to come out to see the queen..and I bet the news will be full of it anyway. Why we need to see it unfold as it happens I dunno.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Jim_Campbell

Boris Johnson is the new Foreign Secretary. Satire is dead.

(I'm starting to think the current prog's cover strapline is less a bit of cover blurb and more an accurate summation of the state of British politics.)

ZenArcade

Boris Johnson, David Davies, Liam Fox, Michael Fallen has she taken leave of her senses....I heard of keeping your friends close but your enemies closer but this is now officially utter farce.
I quite liked her inclusive speech; brought back fond memories of Thatchers St Francis speech upon assuming power. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

James Dilworth

Tjm86

David Davies Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (SSEE U)?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 13 July, 2016, 08:37:51 PM
David Davies Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (SSEE U)?

Ho hum... for one brief moment, I'd hoped she'd made him Home Secretary. He's one of the few senior Tory figures who's talked much sense on the balance between privacy and security in a modern state.

IndigoPrime

Probably worth noting it's David Davis, NOT David Davies, who's heading up Brexit. And judging by stuff he's written online, he's at least thought about it a bit, but has the same pie-in-the-sky dreams about how things can actually work (such as full open market access without freedom of movement).

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 July, 2016, 08:18:00 PM
Boris Johnson is the new Foreign Secretary.

Surely you misheard. It must have been "..to be executed for treason". It must. You lie, lie and lie, undermine your own party, international relations and the interests of your country and they make you Foreign Secretary... I fancy being Minister for Children, how many babies do I need to eat...?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 July, 2016, 09:09:58 PM
Probably worth noting it's David Davis, NOT David Davies, who's heading up Brexit.

Oops! My mistake! These Tories all look the same to me...

James Dilworth

I made this a few years ago. Seemed kind of apt.

IndigoPrime

Mrs IP, who spent much of the day looking into getting UK citizenship, has reacted to the Boris Johnson news with "fuck no" (as in, to UK citizenship, not just Johnson, although her reaction there was identical). Thanks, Theresa May! (Anxiety levels rising...)

Trent

Maybe with Bojo, Davis and Fox getting roles that involve our dealings with other countries she's saying to them "you made this mess, you fucking sort it out".
I seem to recall that sentiment on this thread more than once, well you got your wish.