Main Menu

1523 - Past Judgement and Shonky Printing

Started by DavidXBrunt, 05 February, 2007, 01:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I had an inkling in that direction as well - because in the flashback scene there's some clone-gone-wrong hintage.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

I don't know why, but I was a bit perturbed by the thought of Ian Gibson doing a "serious" Dredd story. In recent years, I've just gotten used to him doing more light-hearted fare which suits his lovely, cartoony H Wagons and Lawmasters and the like. I needn't have worried as it's very nice with Anderson's top being a particularly nice touch. The story looks promising too, with plenty of scope for our three heroes to fail to see eye to eye: it's like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

If we're already taking bets on who the phantom is, then I'll have Solomon.

I'm fairly certain Bey's just been double-crossed in Stickleback, but I look forward to finding out. This, Low Life and The ABCs are all fantastic. I'll be mightily disappointed if Joe misses his shot from a mere 5km out!
We never really die.

McNulty

And now for my comments...

Dredd: This Origins interlude has all the markings of a great story. As a long time reader, I am especially happy that a master such as Gibson is drawing this strip. His rendition of an old-time Judge's uniform and lawgiver is great, and the story itself wants me to read more. The inclusion of Judge Anderson (Always drawn beautifully by Gibson) is also a wonderful additon to this story. I still want to get back to Origins, but this is a good substitute.

Stickleback: Interesting story so far. It was mostly a "talking heads" episode, with lots of exposition about the background to this version of Victorian(?) London.

ABC Warriors: I had a bad feeling when I found out that we were going to hear Joe's story that he might be speaking normally, (When of course, we know that he didn't back then). I'm glad to see that they haven't changed him that much. It was ingenius to say the least to cannibalise the cabbie and use his sat-nav as a guidence system for a makeshift weapon. I must say, I didn't see that coming. (It does say "SPOILERS" at the top of the thread doesn't it...?)

Kingdom: I have to say that I liked this story a lot more when it was just the pack. I don't particularly like this pot-bellied baldy johnny-come-lately that's showed up in this story!

Low Life: The second-best thing in this week's prog if you ask me (After Dredd). Dirty Frank's serious but tremendously funny dialogue does it for me again.

All in all, a good prog, but I still want Origins!

Wils

Describing something as the dog's bollocks (often abbreviated to just "the dog's"), the mutt's nuts, the badger's nadgers, etc is extremely complementary.

Beware of anything described as "a rat's cock", though, as this is *not* good.

Dan Kelly

Loved the issue this week - all strips firing on all cylindars

Can I just point one thing that's been missing from the comments on the Dredd this ish?  No-one has mentioned just how lush the backgrounds on Gibson's artwork are this time around.  And seeing how oft in the recent past that's been a cause for criticism...

Gorgeous

The Amstor Computer

Yeah, they are rather nice. Maybe he was told he was getting a GRennie script? ;-)

DavidXBrunt

I think that it does make a difference with Gibson, he freely admits to putting as much effort into the art as he think it deserves. Look back at his last Wagner script, the Blinddate/Death/Gunderson parody and compare it to an average Samantha Slade story.

Bad Andy

My printing's all wrong too. But I can't be arsed getting another copy. I can still read the bleeder.

Dredd strip looks very interesting, but I've started to get bored of Stickleback in the pub. Get out more sonny!

Dunk!

Superior Gibson art this week and I love Anderson's judge teddy, but hasn't this featured before?

Haven't read the rest of the prog it's just a Gibson Dredd (which people have commented on looking good) needs viewing at the earliest opportunity.
"Trust we"

Proudhuff

Great Prog except the return of Anderson put her back in the Boing and move on!

'Beware of anything described as "a rat's cock", though, as this is *not* good.'

or indeed a Pig's ear or camel's hoof

Lord Hufty
DDT did a job on me

Art

So...

This chracter who is some kind of supernatural dark parody of the justice system seems to have some kind of... shield?

Here's hoping for a monster truck.

dweezil2

There's a real old school vibe to this Dredd thriller that, for some reason, whisked me back to my childhood memories of reading 2000ad. Great writing by Rennie that, while channeling Wagner, has a style of its own. Nice Gibson art too, is the icing on the cake! Oh and Anderson's back(and her front).
Very impressed!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Goaty

the comic is great...

ABC was cool, but i start read it 6 years ago, but that Vorgan (or something sorry, can spelling it!!) Wars, is it link to Savage world????

Funt Solo

There's a nearby thread about such continuity shenanigans.  They're both by Mills, so one could assume that both stories belong on the same timeline.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

paulvonscott

The Volgs and their Volgan war.  Pat Mills is currently running two strips (Savage, an alternative now) and ABC's set in the same future.  The leader of the Volgs in Savage is Vashkov, and his tomb is mentioned in the ABC Warriors which is on the go at the mo.

The timeline threads mainly involve people arguing whether Pat Mills attempts to bring Dredd into the same continuity should be honoured or not and people clutching their head and saying they don't understand, so it's not much use on that front.