Main Menu

1567- Swing Out Stronty

Started by Huey2, 20 December, 2007, 07:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd-the-k

so much for the 'this special prog will have to last you until after the Christmas holdays' stuff.  Just as well - I've gobbled up my Prog 2008 and megazine already

Mardroid

How about a cover spoiler?

I think the picture on the last inside page of the Christmas Issue was the cover for the next issue. You know, the one with Johnny Alpha with the big gun and the flying machine above...

At least that was the impression I got.

ukdane

My sub copy arrived today.

The new logo's still there, although it seems utterly pointless, as so much of the text is covered up by Alpha's gun.

"000AD TH Y's GRE OMIC"

What's the point?
Cheers

-Daney

The Adventurer

I never really understood this dislike of covering the logo with art. I mean, you'd rather the art be covered by Logo? That's silly.

At least with the double redundancy of 2000AD 2000AD you can over one without necessarily covering the other.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

ukdane

Well, SFX have pretty much done it since issue 1, as (even on a subconcious level) everyone knows, S*X sells.

I'd rather the art didn't cover the logo, which means either:
a) there is one area for art, and one for logo, or
b) the artist, knowing full well that the artwork will be used for a cover, leaves (I forget the technical term) blank space in their artwork, for where the logo will appear.
I'm sure that's what they used to do, in the days of: http://www.2000adonline.com/images/logos/logo178_thumb.gif">
Cheers

-Daney

Steve Green

The difference there is that the 2000AD bit is big enough to withstand some of it being obscured, but the tagline isn't.

Maybe they should just have it as a separate strapline, out of the way of the art - or ditch it.

- Steve

the shutdown man

Yeah, I got this in the post today, and was pleasantly surprised. Is this a shipping mistake or something?
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

worldshown

Got my sub copy this morning.

Nice Cliff Robinson cover and a returning Alan Grant character in Dredd. Not saying witch one though.

Haven't got any further as yet.

W. R. Logan

mine arrived this morning and my dog sunk its teeth straight through it, I now have a braille copy of Prog 1567

COMMANDO FORCES

Your dog is obviously a mutie hater, lol.

Bolt-01

What a great prog. Think I'm still on a thrill-power high, cause I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a Grant Dredd this much...

Bolt-01

Mardroid

Mine arrived this Morning. I thought briefly of leaving it to the new year before reading, but only briefly.

I liked the one off Dredd story too. Interesting ladies clubs they have in the Megacity.

Stickleback, is quite interesting. Too. Particulary the end part...
Buffalo Bill did come to Engladn during victorian times. Check out From Hell. Sure it's fiction, but that section was taken from fact.  I like fantasy and horror that merges with real life settings.

The rest, a bit predictable, but not bad. Still early days yet. Interesting original aliens in Shakara.

I'm not referring to the indigenous inhabitents of the planet which are, after all, just giant frogs (not that that's a bad idea.) but those strange eyeball aliens. Weeeeiiirrrrrd.

vzzbux

mine arrived today but I am refusing to read it till after chrimbo day.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Leigh S

Good to see the last trace of the 800s design vanish - the next prog captions having been a hold over that survived a huge load of redesigns. At least I think this is a new development...

Floyd-the-k

My first thought was 'urgh, that logo is for real!'.  I'd thought that it was an ugly once-off for the 2008 prog.  It isn't, and it seems like we're stuck with the cute, fan-shaped logo jammed next to something that looks like an unsuccessful bid for a new logo in the 90s sometime.
 I didn't really care much about earlier logo-related discussions, but it seems a shame to stuff up something that's quite cute that way.

Oh well, won't make me boycott the comics or anything.

other than that, als in ordnung

cover: pretty good. I like the way it covers part of the awful looking logo
Dredd - bit of fun, nice art, nothing special
Shakhara - completely predictible, yet I really felt for those frogs! Must be the art.

Kingdom; glourious art, interesting stuff

Stickleback; well done, a bit sub-Moore,

strontium Dog: Frabjous art, a somewhat subdued story this week