Main Menu

1645 - The House Of Bones

Started by Kev Levell, 18 July, 2009, 10:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Even though I get no pressies cos I only get 2000ad itself still a nice little package this morning. What would otherwise be a perfectly fine issue, I was particularly fond of some of the dialogue in the Dredd this week it came with two surprises.

Firstly, and don't chase me out of town for this, I've never been a fan of Chris Weston's art. I admit I've not seen it 'in the flesh' since the mid 90s but I'd always found his characters distorted and ugly and I'd just never liked his stuff. Well I'm pleased to say I really liked the art in this cute little future shock. I don't think he'll ever be my favourite artist but it was really good stuff and not at all of putting like I used to find it. Nice one.

Secondly while showing the little 'un the prog (apparently babies respond really well to clear back and white images, what better excuse) I found myself reading Defoe to her and quite enjoyed it. This is a complete break through as I've simply never got on with the strip before for reasons I've never been able to put my finger on. Its certainly not that I'm anti Pat Mills new stuff as some seem to be as I've really enjoyed most of this recent work. BUT anyway hopefully I'm past that now, I'll not get carried away as its just one week but fingers crossed this won't be a skip any more.

So along with these two pleasent surprises, a good Sinister Dexter story brewing and Red Sea building nicely what might have been a bit of an average Prog was actually a belter.

Good stuff.

James Stacey

Am I the only one who got a Dan Fransisco 2131 campaign badge with the man himself drawn by Critchlow on it ? Legend .. wait for it .. dary !

moly

really impressed with my post today tooth the megazine freebie mag and the badge thank you tharg you make me so happy  :)  also this was a fantastic 2000ad this week

Bolt-01

The badge is a touch of class, though am I right that there is a second badge in fovour of muties? Cool.

One thing no-one else has mentioned yet is that one of the call centre workers in the Terror Tale is TONY LEE! I must admit to laughing out loud at that.

And to think that I was only this week moaning about not getting freebies...

Sorry Tharg. :-[

vzzbux

Whooooow. Nearly missed my badge, thanks for the heads up.
I got the Dan Francisco badge too. Go Dan Francisco.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

DavidXBrunt

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 July, 2009, 03:58:23 PM

(Nah. It rhymes with 'stone'. (Since they're posh lads I imagine they're pronouncing it as rhyming with 'gone' though.

The Red Seas: I imagine this'll miff some folks since we're not back to the main characters yet. Not me. I'm rather enjoying it. Quirky and fun.

The posh asre more likely to rhyme it with Stone, not gone.

Why would you imagine it'll miff people? I doubt people are expecting the crew to appear at all in this series. It's well established that Red Seas will side-step the pirates for world fleshing fun. This is going to be Newtons story.

Mattofthespurs

Dan Francisco badge for me too!
Nice package.
Loved the "Terror Tales".

Pete Wells

Can someone take a pic of the Dan Francisco badge for the nerd in me please?

Mardroid

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 19 July, 2009, 12:30:19 AM
The posh asre more likely to rhyme it with Stone, not gone.

Possibly. I pronounce it rhyming with the former and I come from a working class background so maybe that's why I associate it that way.  To be fair I've heard Northerners pronounce it like 'gone' too and they were hardly posh.

QuoteWhy would you imagine it'll miff people? I doubt people are expecting the crew to appear at all in this series.

When a story (not necessarily Red Seas) departs from the main characters for a length of time, I just get the impression on reading posts that some people are impatient to get back to the main characters. Not everyone granted.

QuoteIt's well established that Red Seas will side-step the pirates for world fleshing fun.

Is it? They haven't really done that so far on the Red Seas arcs I've read, but that's only three so I'll take your word for it. The first I read was the arc set in world war 2. It was a bit of a departure from the norm I understand, but still based around the main characters. On the other hand there was a liquid metal guy who hasn't appeared in the last two arcs.

James Stacey

Quote from: Pete Wells on 19 July, 2009, 09:47:15 AM
Can someone take a pic of the Dan Francisco badge for the nerd in me please?
Nerd fulfilled ? Its a bit blurry as its with a shite iPhone camera and I was hungover

iutley

Just read about the free Mutie badge with suprise. I'm a Tooth & Meg subber and I got the bumper package this morning but I got a Dan Fransisco badge instead. So there are at least 2 designs out there. Are there any others?

Pete Wells

Cheers James, my inner nerd can relax now!

BPP

badges for sale in the online shop kids....

£1.30 a piece and a few more quid posting and packaging (danger money for postie with all those sharp objects obviously).
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Pete Wells

Anthony Williams has just very kindly sent me the pencils, inks and colours for this week's cover and they're proudly on my covers blog (link below).

nomohican

A highly enjoyable prog all round.

Dredd A good continuation to this story. The politeness championship was outstanding.

The Red Seas I really enjoyed the werewolf story where Newton and Augustus teamed up, so I can't wait to see how this pans out.

Sinister Dexter This carries on enjoyably enough, I thought the conversation between Sinister and dexter was really well done.

Terror Tale I've never signed up for these book clubs, and this story backs up all the things I've heard. Lovely art by Chris Weston.

Defoe A bit heavy on introducing new characters. The art continues to be top notch. One thing:
[spoiler]The guy with the flame thrower specifically said he burnt The Spiriter's body. If he's a traitor it puts him using fire on the burning zombie in a whole new light.[/spoiler]
Well, maybe that fish has a wife and family too. Did anyone think of that?
I mean, I don't think I've got the right to kill someone's daddy, do I? Even if it is a fish.

Zombo