Main Menu

What's this book called? - Please Help!!!

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 17 December, 2011, 10:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Emperor

Could confusion be coming in from claims that Prescott Bush was actually a Nazi spy who was sent by Aldolf to America in order to kill Tesla?

QuoteSkorzeny "alleges" that U.S. Navy Pilot- George H.W. Bush was really SS Nazi Spy- George H. Scherff Jr."center". Photo taken moments before Bush murdered his two crew members by bailing out of his perfectly
good airplane!

Skorzeny alleges that George Herbert Walker Bush was/is an SS Nazi spy, as was he. "Allegedly", George H.W. Bush was born in Germany as George H. Scherff Jr., the son of Dr. Nikola Tesla's German born, illegal immigrant, accountant George H. Scherff Sr. George Sr. had been robbing Tesla blind for years & giving Tesla's secret inventions directly to Adolph Hitler. In 1938, Hitler sent 14 year old George H. Scherff Jr. to America to try to befriend, spy on,& kill the Great American Inventor, Dr. Nikola Tesla!

www.thebushconnection.com/bush.html

See also:

www.hoaxofthecentury.com
http://camelotforum.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=28&id=57707&Itemid=164

Also Barbara Bush's Dad was the Wickedest Man in the World (allegedly):
http://cannonfire.blogspot.com/2006/04/george-w-bush-barbara-bush-and.html

Could it be someone filed off the serial numbers and turned the story into a novel?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 18 December, 2011, 04:50:28 PM
Straight thriller

Pity as I was about to suggest The Plot Against America as this is the closest I can find (although not what you describe):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plot_Against_America

Ths involves the Lindbergh kidnapping case:

Quote2004: In Philip Roth's novel The Plot Against America, the narrator describes theories about the kidnapping — most notably, the possibility that prominent Nazis were responsible and used the kidnapping to extort the Lindberghs into expressing some admiration for and defense of the policies of Nazi Germany. According to this theory (which the narrator neither accepts nor rejects), the baby is brought to Germany where he is adopted into a Nazi family and becomes a member of the Hitler Youth, unaware of his true background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindbergh_kidnapping#The_Lindbergh_kidnapping_represented_in_the_arts
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Emperor

Quote from: vzzbux on 18 December, 2011, 08:50:47 PM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 17 December, 2011, 10:20:03 PM
about a SS Officer

I would say 'an SS Officer', but not sure about writing it. Anyone?

I have given this some thought before and talked it over with my Dad who was a teacher and linguist so my general rule of thumb is that you use similar rules for a/an but based on how you'd spell the letters in the acronym.

So it is:

an ess ess officer, was jolly cross about the whole thing

an eff ah spokesman said "Balls"

an aitch gee vee driven by a madman

a tee gee vee train in France

a dee cee Comic

a you enn meeting ended in confusion

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Emperor

Quote from: vzzbux on 18 December, 2011, 09:22:38 PMMy thoughts too. Thank you Emperor.

I find that it happens pretty naturally when you are speaking (my Dad said he'd never given it much though when I asked) but you often need to think it through when you are writing it down as it can lead to somethings that seem counter-intuitive at first glance like "a UFO."

vzzbux

You could extend your 'a UN meeting' to 'a united nations operative' as opposed to ' an underwater operative'.
No wonder foreigners say the English language is difficult to learn.

V
Drokking since 1972

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: vzzbux on 21 December, 2011, 08:51:10 PM
You could extend your 'a UN meeting' to 'a united nations operative' as opposed to ' an underwater operative'.
No wonder foreigners say the English language is difficult to learn.

V

This is one of the things I have to teach for a living. The difference is that the 'U' in 'UN' is pronounced with a 'y' sound, as if it was 'you', so it takes the 'a' article. The 'U' in 'an underwater operative' isn't pronounced with the 'y' sound, so it takes 'an' like other vowels.

A unicorn   /   An uncle
A unit       /   An ulcer
A uniform  /   An undertaker

I know you didn't ask. I told you anyway. And it doesn't make it any easier to learn either.