Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Absolutely adore Scalped, and crack it open once a year to reread. There aren't many series that inspire me to do that, but it never disappoints.

Currently I'm a hundred pages into Andy Weir's follow up to The Martian, Artemis. While it's a bit more pedestrian than his first novel, reminding me in both setting and tone of numerous other "near future moon-base hard sf" stories, it's another page turner and written in a similar amiable style.

Also, nerds, it has a discussion between two characters about classic Star Trek and a pub called "Hartnell's", owned by an Englishman called Billy.

Watch as Hollywood makes a meal/ has coniptions over how to represent it's lapsed-muslim female lead and her religious father.

SBT

Juan De La Karite

Started Confederacy of Dunces over the weekend, excellent book. I know a few people who remind me of big Ignatius.

Apestrife

Read Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo. I'm not a big reader on Manga, but I really enjoyed this one. Beautiful, awesome, massive and dangerous are words that sums it up quite well for me.

Rately

Quote from: Apestrife on 05 December, 2017, 07:19:58 PM
Read Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo. I'm not a big reader on Manga, but I really enjoyed this one. Beautiful, awesome, massive and dangerous are words that sums it up quite well for me.

Making my way through the first volume.

Amazing stuff, and the art is just incredible

Not really big on Manga, either, but I will definitely be looking into grabbing some of Otomo's work.

pictsy

I managed to read Otomo's Domu manga in my late teens and found that to be amazing.  Unfortunately it seems really difficult to find a copy that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money.  It's a real shame because I would love to re-read that one.

Radbacker

Dune, i tried to read this years ago when i was younger but it never grabbed me but now in my more advanced age I'm quite enjoying it.  The David Lynch movie actually isn't too bad a version of the story all things considered I wonder if Veldiview still has this in the works as he might be able to pull it off judging by what he did with the Blade Runner sequel.
Speaking of sequels are the sequel books worth reading when I'm done with this one I heard very mixed reviews of them and have been told he doesn't really finish the story?

CU Radbacker

I, Cosh

Quote from: Radbacker on 11 December, 2017, 10:26:50 AM
Speaking of sequels are the sequel books worth reading when I'm done with this one I heard very mixed reviews of them and have been told he doesn't really finish the story?
Dune Messiah is a really great, unexpected follow up which is very much worth reading. It's also very short.

Children of Dune jumps forward quite a bit but is also worth a look as it does build smartly on the first.

After that, I'm not sure I'd bother.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Okay so finished Scalped yesterday and I have to say the second half just gets better and better. Its get past the cliche and starts to just tell a great story. Okay at times the physical damage folks take really stretchs belief and some of the characters are so damaged internally as to make it difficuly. But as I say it takes its faults and uses them well.

Its a cracking tale and the ending really lands.

So yeah, cliched, stretches creditilty but bloody fantastic at the same time.

Smith

DC universe by Mike Mignola.Intresting to see Mignola go from a Byrne imitator(which was something of DCs house style in the day) to his own style;But the stories themselves are mostly mediocre.

lewism109

Just finished reading Batman: Knightfall Volume 1, just about starting on Volume 2.

I am also reading Tokyo Ghoul Volume 6.

And also, I am reading a biography of Henry Kissinger (Volume 1) by Niall Ferguson.

pictsy

I've recently read a few new things as a friend sent me some trades (to introduce me better to Marvel and DC stuff as I've avoided those stories for the most part) for Christmas.

Superman - Red Son I was given this because my friend is a massive Superman fan and I am not.  I really don't like the concept of Superman.  Red Son is pretty decent, but not the best out of what I received.  The concept is nice and I got into the more goofy aspects of the story.

The Vision - Little worse than a man & Little better than a beast  When I was told I was receiving a story about the Vision where he has a family I apparently said something along the lines of 'well, I hope it ends badly'.  That sounds like something I would say.  I really enjoyed this story.  I felt it hit every bit just right as the Vision tries to have a normal family life and the ending was certainly emotional.  There is good social commentary in the story that is certainly familiar but I didn't feel it was heavy handed about it.  Such an enjoyable read it has made me wonder what else Tom King has done and if it lives up to the standards of this story.

Moon Knight - From the Dead Partly because my friend really likes Moon Knight, partly because I like weird comics and partly because I haven't read anything much by Warren Ellis, I was given From the Dead.  I love this one the most.  It doesn't have the high calibre story that The Vision did, being more a collection of one shots, but they are fun and crazy stories.  The Trade bookends itself nicely as well, so the fact I only have one volume of Moon Knight doesn't cut too deep.  The artwork is brilliantly realised in this book with absolutely fantastic composition.  It has a lot in it that I've always loved about the comics I enjoy.

Additionally I have been reading some novels as well.  Recently I've read Reaper Man, Witches Abroad and Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.  Read them before, love Pratchett's writing, still haven't read his last book  :'(

I've started Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks after being hassled by my eldest brother for a few years to read them.  Not sure what to make of it so far.  It's certainly engaging and interesting and I'm not having a bad time with it.  There a nice sci-fi concepts in there like the different species of humans and the characters are engaging.  I know this is the first in a larger series, so I'm not going to judge it properly until I've got further through the Culture Series.

Lastly, as I have trouble reading novels when I'm tired and I didn't want to start cracking on with my new Lucifer trade just yet I decided, out of nowhere (maybe because I read here that Apestrife read it), to pick up Akira volume 1 last night.  I love Akira.  I also love how fast paced it is.  Got through the first volume and halfway into the second before deciding to go to bed.  It's been a while since I read it last and it's lovely remembering all the little plots that are going to appear.  The art is, of course, wonderful.  There are some beautifully bleak panels throughout the whole story.

von Boom

Consider Phlebas can be pretty rough going, but the Culture series is brilliant. It has its highs and lows, but they aren't a waste of your time. Many people argue over the correct order to read them, but I always say in order of publication.

pictsy

Quote from: von Boom on 03 January, 2018, 01:33:20 PM
Consider Phlebas can be pretty rough going, but the Culture series is brilliant. It has its highs and lows, but they aren't a waste of your time. Many people argue over the correct order to read them, but I always say in order of publication.

My brother advised me the same :)

He also goes on more about the Minds than anything else and CP doesn't seem to be largely about that, focusing on Horza.  I don't doubt that the Culture Series is going to be more of a joy to read than the last series I read, A Song of Ice and Fire.  Martin does drag some things out and I found it difficult to read when the perspective changed to someone I didn't really care much for (looking at you, Jon Snow).

von Boom

Quote from: pictsy on 03 January, 2018, 02:00:53 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 03 January, 2018, 01:33:20 PM

My brother advised me the same :)

He also goes on more about the Minds than anything else and CP doesn't seem to be largely about that, focusing on Horza.  I don't doubt that the Culture Series is going to be more of a joy to read than the last series I read, A Song of Ice and Fire.  Martin does drag some things out and I found it difficult to read when the perspective changed to someone I didn't really care much for (looking at you, Jon Snow).

Minds were still pretty undeveloped in CP I think, but they are an integral part of the Culture and are some of the best characters.

I still haven't finished A Dance with Dragons after, what, six years.

Theblazeuk

You're still reading fast enough to keep up with the series.

I just finished off We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Wasn't sure where it was going and had my suspicions but a very enjoyable read with one of the more interesting [spoiler]unreliable narrators[/spoiler].

Next up, Children of Old Leech - a collection of short stories in the vein of weird horror writer Laird Barron, who I think is the heir to Lovecraft and is also a much better actual writer when you get down to it.

(Previously read Artemis - so-so. Main character is like Mark but obnoxious and some of the details really stretch the internal consistency, e.g. Airlock usage)