Main Menu

PSP2

Started by NSFTM, 27 January, 2011, 09:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSFTM

or is it NGP?

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/01/27/introducing-ngp/

looking pretty nice but how much is it going to cost? an OLED screen they can't be cheap(good on battery life though)
It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

Mardroid

Heh. I only just bought a PSP 3000! (Largelyl for the comics app to be fair, but I got quite into Grand Theft Auto the other day.) 

No doubt this would probably be out of my price range anyway but it certainly looks like a nice bit of kit. Interesting that they're going back to the 3000 type layout rather than the PSP Go look, and keeping with the optional game choices like the older model PSPs (i.e. from shop or download.)

If shop, I wonder what format delivery system they'll go with. UMD or HD equivalent? Or some card/cartridge type system? While it looks like a PSP3000 at first glance, relative to the hands it's actually quite a thin device smaller device. I wonder if they'll be going with the card format. You can get quite high storage cards nowadays.

The stuff concerning the PS suite looks very interesting too. Branching out software to other devices might give em an edge considering they seem to have fallen away to some extent compared to other consoles.

NSFTM

just heard that is backwards compatible..not sure how your going to get your old umd games on there like

it's probably going to cost a small fortune when it comes out  OLED screens aren't cheap, (but do use less power) but at least they have dumped the UMD format in favor of a Memory card based games which seems logical(uses less power)

theirs an uncharted game running on it over of CVG, that seems ti utilize all the contral mechnisms known to man(the two touch pads, both analogue sticks and the sixaxis) although it looks cool i can't help but think that having so many input methods is just going to do my head in.

my main concern about is that they'll make a mess of the launch like PS3 where it seemed to be delayed for ages
It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

James Stacey

It's bigger than the PSP  :o well done Sony, you fail once again.

NSFTM

Quote from: James Stacey on 27 January, 2011, 03:51:07 PM

and? it's also a slightly different colour

Mardroid

Quote from: James Stacey on 27 January, 2011, 03:51:07 PM

The Psp Go, certainly. (Not actually a bad thing to my mind. I like the bigger screen.) Compared to my 3000, judging by those images I'd say it's around the same size in length and width (it could be a bit smaller actually) but quite a bit thinner, likely due to using a card format. (I missed that, although I guessed that would be the route to take.)

Batman's Superior Cousin

All I'm looking forward to is Next-Gen Killzone & Resistance!!!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Mrpepperami

Let's hope they have learnt from the control problems the first one had

Rog69

It look nice but without UMD (which was pretty clunky anyway) how will the games get onto it? I suspect that it will all be done via the PSN store which will mean that you have no other choice but to buy all your games from one overpriced source.

Pyroxian

No, there'll be a way of buying games from the shops, or else they'll all tell Sony to bugger off and none of them will sell the PSP2.

Rog69

How did it work with the PSP go because that didn't have UMD either?

Mardroid

Quote from: Rog69 on 30 January, 2011, 07:47:11 PM
How did it work with the PSP go because that didn't have UMD either?

That was soley through downloads.

However, in the link to the article above the guy stated that they've learnt from that. They're allowing both options like the older PSPs had, shops or downloads. I don't think he mentioned what the format would actually be (judging by the thinness I'm thinking it won't be a UMD type system) but I'm thinking it might be card based.

If it's got a decent built in secondary  memory store* like the PSP Go I can see the memory card slot working well as a game delivery system.

*By that I mean the equivalent of a hard drive rather than the things we usually associate with memory, i.e. RAM.

James

When I had a PSP, I hacked it and was able to rip UMDs to the Memory Stick. Probably do backwards compatability that way.