Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: milstar on 05 October, 2021, 06:00:48 PM
Kelly's Heroes

Mildly entertaining war caper. I like to imagine it as a movie that inspired to write The Adventures in the Rifle Brigade. Humor is so-so, and it mostly comes from Don Rickles and Telly Savalas character. Donald Sutherland is often off the mark, thanks for his pre-hippy antics and Clint Eastwood is... Clint Eastwood. For my money, the weakest link in the chain. There are some well made set-pieces, despite the plot being preposterous. The assault on the village takes too long to set-up, and the runtime could've been a little trimmed down. At least by 20 minutes.

I adore Kelly's Heroes - I'm even deep in the middle of building a 1/35 Oddball's sherman - but yes, it could seriously do with a bit of trimming. Probably from exactly where you say, the preparation on the final village assault, and that endlessly bloody ringing bell (or Oddball's attack on the railway yard, which doesn't advance the plot much). Which is weird, because in other places the film gets the pacing exactly right, as when the big river crossing happens. This would be the big set-piece of many another movie - I mean, it's where two of the three shermans get knocked out! - so I love that we just cut straight to the chaotic aftermath. Maybe that was a cheeky budget-saving measure.
@jamesfeistdraws

milstar

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 October, 2021, 09:20:11 AM

I adore Kelly's Heroes - I'm even deep in the middle of building a 1/35 Oddball's sherman - but yes, it could seriously do with a bit of trimming. Probably from exactly where you say, the preparation on the final village assault, and that endlessly bloody ringing bell (or Oddball's attack on the railway yard, which doesn't advance the plot much). Which is weird, because in other places the film gets the pacing exactly right, as when the big river crossing happens. This would be the big set-piece of many another movie - I mean, it's where two of the three shermans get knocked out! - so I love that we just cut straight to the chaotic aftermath. Maybe that was a cheeky budget-saving measure.

Well, the film is shot in then Yugoslavia, so they obviously thought on money well spent. Reportedly, MGM cut 20 minutes from the film. I just can't figure where the young John Landis is, this being his first starring role.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: milstar on 06 October, 2021, 04:28:00 PM
I just can't figure where the young John Landis is, this being his first starring role.

Hilariously, he's one of the four nuns we briefly see!
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Pity it wasn't the last time he did anything in the industry....

Funt Solo

Is he under double secret probation for something?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 October, 2021, 05:12:43 PM
Quote from: milstar on 06 October, 2021, 04:28:00 PM
I just can't figure where the young John Landis is, this being his first starring role.

Hilariously, he's one of the four nuns we briefly see!

Lol
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Tiplodocus

Plus Splendour in the grass.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

No wait.. I am mixing that up with Burning Bridges.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 October, 2021, 06:45:50 PM

Well, he did made some pretty great movies... but then he killed two people so he could get a shot, and left it in the movie. I find it pretty hard to retain much affection for him after that.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 October, 2021, 10:20:01 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 October, 2021, 06:45:50 PM

Well, he did made some pretty great movies... but then he killed two people so he could get a shot, and left it in the movie. I find it pretty hard to retain much affection for him after that.

Three people. Actor Vic Morrow alongside child actors Renee Shin-Yi Chen and Myca Dinh Le, the later two of which where operating outside legal protective barriers due to Landis convincing their parents to sign a waiver, allowing them to film in the dark under dangerous circumstances. All three died a horrid, completely avoidable death. Landis then attempted to sue the parents and Morrow estate, while they still grieved, before they could hold him liable.

Landis can rot.

pictsy

edgeworthy

Quote from: milstar on 05 October, 2021, 06:00:48 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 05 October, 2021, 11:35:33 AM

Next up,  A Friday the 13th where Jason isn't the murderer?  It's so unprecedented!

Now that film is utter shite. As if F13 aren't B movies already, but this one looks like a C movie, full of cringe and creepy characters.

Kelly's Heroes

Mildly entertaining war caper. I like to imagine it as a movie that inspired to write The Adventures in the Rifle Brigade. Humor is so-so, and it mostly comes from Don Rickles and Telly Savalas character. Donald Sutherland is often off the mark, thanks for his pre-hippy antics and Clint Eastwood is... Clint Eastwood. For my money, the weakest link in the chain. There are some well made set-pieces, despite the plot being preposterous. The assault on the village takes too long to set-up, and the runtime could've been a little trimmed down. At least by 20 minutes.
Ultra Nerdy History Buffs like to point out how much Oddball looks like Germany's leading Panzer Ace Kurt Knispel

Funt Solo

I hadn't read about the tragic Twilight Zone accident until today. Brutal stuff.

- Landis (& the other defendants) were acquitted of manslaughter in a jury trial.
- The footage was not used in the finished film.
- The accident caused a paradigm shift in safety protocols throughout the film industry.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

A lot of Golden Age directors today would probably facing accusations for unethical approaches in their work. In Landis case, ofcourse he is not to blame for the stunt that went awry, but his ethics were disgraceful. He forced those kids to be on the set even when the law set the number of hours children can spend by working on a film. In fact, that regulation is still in existing, me thinks.
According to Landis, "not a day goes by without him thinking on the accident". After Twilight Zone The Movie, one can notice his output in making somewhat quality movies to dwindle. Although, I'll admit, I find BHC3 mildly enjoyable.

milstar

Quote from: edgeworthy on 07 October, 2021, 12:46:45 AM
Ultra Nerdy History Buffs like to point out how much Oddball looks like Germany's leading Panzer Ace Kurt Knispel

I wonder if the David Warner's character in Cross of Iron is inspired by Kurt.