Main Menu

What happened to Damnation Station?

Started by The Adventurer, 08 May, 2012, 11:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

So I'm working my way through my pile of 2010 Progs that I'd missed during my wilderness days (gotta get up to speed on Age of the Wolf before continuing with my 2012 pile you see...) and I was happily following Damnation Station throughout the year. But as I reach the end of the 2010 pile I realize... its not coming back, as I know it didn't have any installments in 2011.  Which sort of sucks! It ended on a cliffhanger in 1692 and I was enjoying how it was a regular feature throughout much of the year, coming and going. It reminded me how Harry Kipling was handled back in 2006, but like Harry Kipling it seems to have ended just as suddenly.

I mean, it wasn't great and had a few problems (had trouble keeping characters straight in Simon Davis drawn installments) but I liked its premises. Any word if its coming back ever?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I, Cosh

Yep. A second run was definitely promised.
We never really die.

Taryn Tailz

Yeah, I've been wondering about this for a while. We were certainly promised a second run, and in my opinion 2000AD needs a future space war style strip, which I feel is something which its lacking right now.

I love Simon Davis art but I don't think it quite suits space type stories such as Damnation Station, so Boo Cook's art always felt like a better fit to me. Its certainly a strip I would like to see more of however, so lets hope it hasn't been forgotten.

Roger Godpleton

Tharg grokked that most of the budget was being spent on "-ation" words and shut the whole thing down.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Al_Ewing

It's plotted. I ended up getting very badly bogged down in other work (plus various crises) but it's on the list, and I'll probably get to it once I'm done with this new batch of Dredds I'm writing, which very much need to be done first. Hopefully it's still going ahead despite the long delay - I'm more than a little ashamed about how long it's taken, really, but I could say that about everything I do these days, including basic things like putting up shelves and getting out of bed.

The long break between serieses is written into the continuity (it takes a long time to build an Earth Station, never mind five of them), and I'll try and make sure new readers are brought up to speed as and when it comes back.

Next series will be the last series, though, so it'll be more like two halves with a very long intermission.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

TordelBack

Truly delighted to hear we're definitely getting more, disappointed to hear it's not going to be ongoing past that. Never happy, basically.  Damnation Station was my Thrill of the Year for 2010 (or was it 1910?) - I liked the publication schedule, I liked the shifts in art, I liked the turnover of characters, I loved the uncertain direction of it all.  I had thought it had potential to be the missing Future War story of Tharg's stable, but I suppose I'm also interested to know that it has a clear conclusion.

Thanks as always for taking the time to dole out the info, Al.

Roger Godpleton

So does Al Ewing do PR for Simon Spurrier now?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Zarjazzer

Hooray. More good thrills to look forward to.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Taryn Tailz

I'll pretty much echo what Tordelback said in that I'm delighted to hear there will be more, but disapointed to hear it will be the final series. Hopefully a complete trade collection will follow that.

Trout

I always knew he was a good lad, but my admiration for Al Ewing went through the roof when he was such a good sport at Hi-Ex.

Buttonman, evil sod that he is, flew a teapot over the table in the bar, cackling, "Hey Al! What's this?" We laughed a lot. Al's pained expression, yet good-natured mumbling, will stay with me forever.

Anyway, Damnation Station Creation Elation: yeah, go on then. I'll give it a go.  :)

- Trout

kos

@Al:Damnation Station is the strip I enjoyed most of and in my opinion your best work so far.No need to change a thing..It hasn't earned the acceptance it deserves yet...

Wouldn't you agree guys that the dialogs supporting the storyline between the characters are superb ?
Also the art of Simon Davis is great.
Anyway, I definitely would like it keep running..