Main Menu

Map of Mega City One.

Started by ZenArcade, 22 February, 2014, 09:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Bat King

I've sent John n Ivan a message, not seen either online recently...

And yeah, if you plan publishing the map a polite word with Rebellion is a good idea. City of Dredd is approved by Tharg but not affiliated.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

ZenArcade

Yep Bat King, I've messaged Rebellion. The Map is of course ment for the enjoyment and possibly edification of the forum. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

mimikeke

My internet is super non existent which means I have to look at everything on my phone unfortunately.  What's great is I didn't realize you had even posted maps before because my awesome phone didn't load any images!!! Forgive me  :lol:

Looking between your map and John's they are remarkably similar.  However the first thing I noticed is that he had placed MegCentral on the east coast as opposed to being a little land island sandwiched between the other sections.  He also has Meg North going up a bit further into almost all of Maine, and Meg South going quite a bit west into western Virginia/North Carolina.

Thoughts?  Sorry I'm not much help but unfortunately my Dredd catalog is very small and I'm limited to googling things :)

*goes off to research things*

BTW I finally got to send off the stuffs to your brother.

mimikeke

Sorry I am terrible at reading maps....is yours looking something vaguely like this?  I have trouble picturing it in my head so I just threw this together.  Obviously not perfect, I kind of eyeballed it off your first image.  If you actually have it laid over a map accurately and I missed it lemme know :)

ZenArcade

Mimikeke, I've mapped the map on the thread image pretty carefuly over a blank outline map of SE Canada and NE USA. I have smoothed off some costal features based on some global sea rise figures I looked at. Thus the spar at the top of long island (the finger is gone); further down the coast from Delaware/Maryland to North Carolina I have lost thousands of sq km in the low lying areas around the Sasquehana river/Chesapeake bay all the way down into the North Carolina costal low lands. The maps shape also shows the smoothing/utilitarian effect of the west wall/Atalantic walls. The central sector layout is taken from the Bobs law map in prog 355 the only map 2000ad have printed with the Big Megs layout done in detail, and it seems a pretty rational job. I haven't seen Johns map yet so I don't know what amount of licence he has used in his visulation of the city layout. Z

ZenArcade

Mimikeke, I wouldn't worry too much about 'lack of knowlege' you have made some excellent observations so far, keep them coming. The issue of extension into Maine and more of VA/NC is partially an attempt to cut down area (to lump up the pop/sq km and a compromise with the Dredd movie map which has the city much further north.
Don't worry though, the city is still huge, each of the squares (sectors) is approx 2000 sq km and approx 40-50 km per side! I can't see the image in your last post, I'll see if I can access it at work. Best regards Z.

TordelBack

Quote from: mimikeke on 04 March, 2014, 05:06:17 AMHowever the first thing I noticed is that he had placed MegCentral on the east coast as opposed to being a little land island sandwiched between the other sections.

Whatever features MegCentral has, I believe you could see the New Statue of Justice from The New New Grand Hall of Justice.  And it in turn in looms over the Statue of Liberty, which should still be adjacent to Old Manhattan.  Both could have been moved, obviously, and of course at least one Statue of Justice has been beside the West Wall, although to reference that you'd have to perform strange contortions in order to read A Story That Never Happened (despite its recent endorsements in Titan).

ZenArcade

Here's hoping they've got some seriously heavy anit grav lifting gear in MC1!!! Z

ZenArcade

Mimikeke, just had a look at your last map, that's pretty good. I'd have the pink western Zone starting off a little to the west of Rochester NY and curving down to a point just of Morganstown PA and then reverting back through the Virginias, Maryland etc. Buffalo, Pittsburg et al are radioactive ruins in 2120. Z

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: ZenArcade on 04 March, 2014, 09:29:05 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 04 March, 2014, 07:57:56 AM
Quote from: mimikeke on 04 March, 2014, 05:06:17 AMHowever the first thing I noticed is that he had placed MegCentral on the east coast as opposed to being a little land island sandwiched between the other sections.

Whatever features MegCentral has, I believe you could see the New Statue of Justice from The New New Grand Hall of Justice.  And it in turn in looms over the Statue of Liberty, which should still be adjacent to Old Manhattan.  Both could have been moved, obviously, and of course at least one Statue of Justice has been beside the West Wall...
Here's hoping they've got some seriously heavy anit grav lifting gear in MC1!!! Z

Well the entire White cliffs of Dover have been moved all the way across the Atlantic to the Meg, don't forget; shifting Liberty a few miles seems like small beans in comparison. I'd say this frees you up to put the Statue wherever you need it to be.
@jamesfeistdraws

James Stacey

Hopefully John doesnt mind me posting this but ..

(c) John Caliber
Pre DOC of course.

Dandontdare

Quote from: ZenArcade on 03 March, 2014, 07:50:52 PM
with a couple of random sector blow ups to give us all a view of the entire city in the format of something akin to an atlas type view.

a couple of sectors? jeez, talk about slacking. I demand a full A-Z opf every street and building in the Meg!  ;)

Proudhuff

Quote from: James Stacey on 04 March, 2014, 02:04:34 PM
Hopefully John doesnt mind me posting this but ..

(c) John Caliber
Pre DOC of course.

That really is a thing of beauty, the big questions now are: post DoC what's left? what's abandoned?  i feel a new thread coming on...
DDT did a job on me

ZenArcade

James, Johns map is excellent. The haphazard jarring of sectors against each other is somehow full of life and coupled with the excellent colour scheme brings a real visual energy to the map!
I'm looking at the map concept from a possibly different point of view. I always wanted to know about the real detail of how the big meg works. Where the roads, dust zones (the guts of the city, so to speak) are. I'm kinda of aiming for a linear, planned approach to the city (see an  attached sector draft from today). Sort of how the original planners would have approached thingd...and how post apocalypse the city was rationalised from widespread devestation. Z