Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Pit

Started by evilgenius, 08 March, 2008, 09:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Have to say The Pit was a real revelation to me, possibly almost as much as my first discovering the character way back in the 80's.

It was Ben Clark who lent me a load of back progs so I could discover what I'd missed with Dredd since I'd taken the long walk shortly after Wagner had in the 90's.

The Pit showed me that Dredd could really be as exciting as it had been in the past, but in a more mature and sophisticated way.

I now think Dredd written by Wagner is about the most exciting thing that appears in 2000AD, or any other comics I'm aware of.  It's sophisticated, relevant, multi-layered and really delivers the goods storywise.  It's the drokking business!

It was the Pit that showed me this more complex Dredd, and I'd not only reccomend waiting for a decent reasonably priced Rebellion book, but all of the modern Wagner Dredds they've released over these last few years.

"...strongly recommend your next stops should be the graphic novels 'Brothers of the Blood', 'Satans Island', 'Mandroid', and 'The Chief Judges Man'. There's also a new edition of 'America' just out that includes all three America storylines."

Seconded, just get them all (inc. origins).  Essential reading, and the story just goes on and just gets better.

Sorry for the rant, I've been wanting to say all that for ages!  Thank Grudd for John Wagner.

evilgenius

I've already read Origins and Brothers in Blood. It was about bloody time they explained some more about Fargo.

flesario

But Brothers of the Blood is the ultimate Dredd collection of recent years.  The Rico/Dolman stories blew me away, esp the three clones fighting together.

paulvonscott

Beyond the Case Files and the artists collections  shown on this page, the first four books have their fans...

But all of the Wagner scripted books after that are essential reading and contribute something to your understanding of the current storyline.  Hunting Party probably less than most, but still has something on the Atmoic War.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/books/judge-dredd-henry-flint-collection.php" target="_blank">Dredd books

radiator

New cover up for the new printing of The Pit on Amazon. As ever, its not definitely the final cover (no credit for Ezquerra) but a good choice I think, by the mighty Mr Walker.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Really nice choice. And gives a good impression of the story , very up front and gritty, hope they stick to it.

TordelBack

Nah, don't see it.  It's just another picture of Dredd's helmet/chin combo. I like my covers to remind me of the story.  I'd prefer something landscapey showing the isolated status of the NW Hab, a decently-drawn version of the climax to Bongo War, or even Dredd reviewing a motley line-up of shabby-looking judges, heck even Dredd hunched over a Sector Chief's desk  with a towering in-tray full of paperwork and a cobweb-festooned lawgiver... something that hints at the contents!

evilgenius

On the cover of the Hamlyn edition Dredd's shoulder pads are the wrong way round!   :?

matty_ae

I was in Brighton on Friday

Dave's comics had it in for £8 alogn with a load of other JD titles

brilliant shop - two shops actually

give them a call

Tiplodocus

Necropost!

Well, I have just settled down to reread this for the first time since a hurried prog slog sometime in late 1996. I had been of no fixed abode for 19995 and the first quarter of 96 and it took me a while to gather all the thrill power I had missed. I'd missed the early episodes complete and read it sort of back to front. Suffice to say I don't think I gave it the time it deserved.

The Kindle App on my tablet doesn't really do justice to Carlos' muscular art and I can't make much sense of the colouring but my, what writing. I never realised quite how much this set the template for modern era Dredd. A bit of procedural, a bit of soap, a supporting cast and genuinely adult, multi-threaded and multi-layered story telling.

Nice to see a young Alex Ronald on art duties as well.

Fantastic stuff.

Thank you, droids and Tharg.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!