Main Menu

How to collect Nikolai Dante GN's?

Started by marko10174, 04 June, 2017, 01:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 08 June, 2017, 11:32:42 PM
A modern masterpiece that deserves to be collected as deluxe hardbacks.I would buy them all in the morning.

Its been said before and it'll be said again this is defo the way I'd like things to go. Alas it seems however hard Rebellion try Dante just doesn't seem to find the market it deserves?

I think it was Radiatior (apologies if I've got that wrong) who worked out some great examples of what would be included in a 5 or 6 volume delux collected series, it wasn't too dissimliar to what Southstreeter suggests. Man it would be fantastic.

Magnetica

I am currently doing a re-read using what I could borrow from my local library and buy from Tharg's future shop. However I am about to hit a patch where the necessary books aren't available starting from Tsar Wars vol 2.

Digital doesn't suit so it looks like I will have to dig out the back Progs, which is a massive task. Also I read somewhere recently (TPO IIRC) that Tharg ( Andy Diggle?) changed some of the dialogue in the Progs and it has been changed back in the GN ( for Tsar Wars).

So yes a re-printing would be great.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 11 June, 2017, 10:53:40 AM

With the historical captions.

But yes, deluxe hardback or bogpaper casefiles Dante, either way sign me up: I've been picking up trades secondhand and what an incomplete mongrel hodge-podge I've ended up with. It is a shame that one of 2000AD's greatest stories doesn't seem to sell.

Magnetica

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 June, 2017, 10:57:36 AM

I am a little confused about the historical captions. I read somewhere the TPBs don't include them, but the ones I have do have at least some of them.

I haven't compared them to the Progs, so it could be they have been scaled back a bit.

Can anyone clarify the situation?

marko10174

I've just managed to pick up Tsar wars volume 2 on ebay today for seven pounds fifty, it is an ex library copy, but screw it. I missed the sword of the tsar the other day that went for fifteen pounds, I could have shot myself! I've only read the Romanov dynasty and devil may care so far. The great game is on it's way in the post. I am determined to read this entire series, but tsar wars v1 and sword of tsar might have to be a kindle job.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Magnetica on 11 June, 2017, 10:59:14 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 11 June, 2017, 10:57:36 AM
I am a little confused about the historical captions. I read somewhere the TPBs don't include them, but the ones I have do have at least some of them.

I haven't compared them to the Progs, so it could be they have been scaled back a bit.

Can anyone clarify the situation?
Older editions do include the text. Newer editions of the early volumes don't. I think this started with the first S&S edition for the Yanks.
I think some of the later Rebellion volumes also omit this text but I'm not 100% sure.
We never really die.

Magnetica

Ok yes understand...my copy of Too Cool to Kill which I bought last year omits then, some of the volumes I have from the library include them.

But what I also don't understand is, why omit them? To me there were an integral part of the feel of Nikolai Dante - similar to the opening spiel about Downlode you get in an episode of Sinister Dexter.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 June, 2017, 11:25:32 AM
But what I also don't understand is, why omit them? To me there were an integral part of the feel of Nikolai Dante - similar to the opening spiel about Downlode you get in an episode of Sinister Dexter.
That's the million groat question. I might be getting things muddled here but it started around the same time as they started to remove the "Next Prog" and episode recap boxes from other reprints. Personally, I'd rather have all of that but I can just about accept the logic that it's about removing elements which might break the flow of the story for a new reader.

With Dante it's incomprehensible. As you say, all those little quotes gradually build up to add something to the world of the strip and to indulge the writer's desire to reference every book he's ever read!
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

I vaguely recall at the time it was a decision designed to increase the strip's likelihood of success in the US (rather than an error, like when a load of Devlin Waugh balloons are omitted).

lwhitehead

I would buy the books if I could aford them I got the Torrent instead.

LW

Quote from: lwhitehead on 24 June, 2017, 10:22:46 PM

LW

The discussion of piracy is not allowed on this forum, at all. The fact you can't afford them is no justification.

Woolly

Quote from: 500 on 26 June, 2017, 09:26:13 AM
Quote from: lwhitehead on 24 June, 2017, 10:22:46 PM

LW

The discussion of piracy is not allowed on this forum, at all. That fact you can't afford them is no justification.

S'right.
Stealing from Tharg*, not on man.
That said, new editions of a complete Nikolai Dante would be a must-buy. Get on it, green-bonce!

*and his droids, of course. Oil ain't free!

lwhitehead

Magnetica

I see Ms. Makarova has just been playing on court 3 at Wimbledon.  ;)