Main Menu

The Death of Verbal Cultural Memes

Started by Tjm86, 27 June, 2020, 07:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: paddykafka on 28 June, 2020, 03:13:53 PM
...when you're twice as old as the combined age of two of the other members of the D&D group that you're in. ..

Like butter, scraped over too much bread.

Tjm,  wasn't trying to dismiss your observation by the way,  just suggesting that at Our Age we might not be best placed to actually see where/how cultural transmission is going on. And we certainly aren't part of it.

JOE SOAP

von Boom

Quote from: Tjm86 on 28 June, 2020, 02:54:20 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 28 June, 2020, 12:46:53 PM

Or to put it another way,  we're old.

TBH I'm getting that a hell of a lot.  The number of times one of my colleagues responds with .. "but I was only born in ..." is getting bloody depressing.  Mind you, having to explain the Cold War or the Warsaw Pact does tend to generate other feelings ...

You know that you're getting on in years, when you're twice as old as the combined age of two of the other members of the D&D group that you're in. (And I'm talking people in their 20's here... :( )
At least you have a D&D group.

paddykafka

Quote from: von Boom on 28 June, 2020, 04:35:56 PM

At least you have a D&D group.

This is true. (Or at least up to the point when they have to start pushing me around in a bath chair).

The Enigmatic Dr X

I have always found this to be more a family thing.

My extended family regularly quote Fawlty Towers and Still Game.

(If anyone hasn't watched Still Game, it is on Netflix and I would argue it is the greatest comedy of the last 20 years - plus ideal viewing for anyone grumpy about ageing).
Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

Quote from: sintec on 28 June, 2020, 10:20:27 AM
Then there are the weirder corners of the internet which seem to act as breeding grounds where in jokes can develop a life of their own. I mean who would have predicted Pepe the Frog would become a mascot for right wing politics?

Least of all the guy who created the character (who is not in the slightest bit amused at how it's been appropriated by right-wing extremists).

sheridan

You know that you're getting on in years, when you're twice as old as the combined age of two of the other members of the D&D group that you're in. (And I'm talking people in their 20's here... :( )

So you're in your eighties?  I generally think of other boarders as being about five years older than me unless they say otherwise.  I'm pretty surprised when I find out somebody's much younger or older...

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 June, 2020, 03:38:20 PM
...when you're twice as old as the combined age of two of the other members of the D&D group that you're in. ..

Like butter, scraped over too much bread.

Tjm,  wasn't trying to dismiss your observation by the way,  just suggesting that at Our Age we might not be best placed to actually see where/how cultural transmission is going on. And we certainly aren't part of it.

Firstly, Bilbo.

Secondly - I can't remember who said it, but there was one person on another thread a year or two back who, in the same post, was complaining that modern teenagers don't have their own music scene, but also that they hadn't checked out any new music for decades (and so if there was a new music scene they'd have been unaware of it).

paddykafka

Quote from: sheridan on 29 June, 2020, 10:33:43 AM

So you're in your eighties?  I generally think of other boarders as being about five years older than me unless they say otherwise.  I'm pretty surprised when I find out somebody's much younger or older...

My quote should of course have read "...as old as the combined age..." minus the "twice" placed beforehand. (Grud, no! It's happening already!!! Once my previosh and hairto wunderfiil gifs 4 the yoooshe of languarjes has beegun to dimmmin.....fannish....go away, den dat's when ittt's time to kwit...

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 June, 2020, 03:38:20 PM

Hey, now worries pal.  I was just picking through some thoughts and felt it might be an idea to get a different perspective.  I'm more than happy for people to call me out when I'm talking complete and utter bollocks (which I don't even need alcohol for!).  In fact I positively encourage it.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: paddykafka on 29 June, 2020, 10:52:13 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 29 June, 2020, 10:33:43 AM

My quote should of course have read "...as old as the combined age..." minus the "twice" placed beforehand. (Grud, no! It's happening already!!! Once my previosh and hairto wunderfiil gifs 4 the yoooshe of languarjes has beegun to dimmmin.....fannish....go away, den dat's when ittt's time to kwit...

Welcome back, Cyberleader!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Quote from: sheridan on 29 June, 2020, 10:35:12 AMSecondly - I can't remember who said it, but there was one person on another thread a year or two back who, in the same post, was complaining that modern teenagers don't have their own music scene, but also that they hadn't checked out any new music for decades (and so if there was a new music scene they'd have been unaware of it).

I suspect the existence of a thread about the fragmentation of popular culture and how memes work might suggest that the above are not two incompatible points.  You don't have to have listened to a single new song from the last 40 years to know that K-Pop is currently a thing*, or that the West hasn't had a breakout musical genre in quite a while.

* I don't know who or what BTS is, but even I know she/he/it/they are involved in some kind of gang beef with JK Rowling.

I, Cosh

Kids today don't even know that All Your Base Are Belong to Us!

Not many things more tedious than a bunch of engineering students quoting Red Dwarf to each other. Bring on the smug cat I say.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!