Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

blackmocco

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Richmond Clements

QuotePut simply, I don't support feminism all the way, not to the point when women are like monsters walking all over men to get what they think they need. In fact I don't support feminism at all, because in this day and age and as far as I am concerned  I think they reached the platue (No more climbing for them!)

If you want to have this conversation, have it elsewhere. Not here.

To make it clear: this is a thread about Mad Max Fury Road. That is ALL that will be discussed here.

Professor Bear

YOU VOTED FOR HIM CLEMENTS

Quote from: blackmocco on 22 May, 2015, 06:25:55 PM
I believe that's the point Miller is making.

I don't believe so.  With the way Immortan makes people fight over what little water he throws into the street, the economy of Fury Road is literally trickle-down economics in action, only Immortan has actually found a way to make TDE work the way it's supposed to, so he has actually taken Western capitalism and made it better.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 May, 2015, 07:26:59 PM
QuotePut simply, I don't support feminism all the way, not to the point when women are like monsters walking all over men to get what they think they need. In fact I don't support feminism at all, because in this day and age and as far as I am concerned  I think they reached the platue (No more climbing for them!)

If you want to have this conversation, have it elsewhere. Not here.

To make it clear: this is a thread about Mad Max Fury Road. That is ALL that will be discussed here.

Just replying to their comments, I think there was misunderstanding and there still is by all appearances.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Lesbian Seagull on 22 May, 2015, 07:44:22 PM
I don't believe so.  With the way Immortan makes people fight over what little water he throws into the street, the economy of Fury Road is literally trickle-down economics in action, only Immortan has actually found a way to make TDE work the way it's supposed to, so he has actually taken Western capitalism and made it better.

I dunno, mate.  Not sure I'd choose holding up a battered basin in a starving, fighting crowd over turning on the taps and taking the odd trip to Lidl.

As for the film - yeah, loved it; wasn't going to see it again but this thread has inspired me to do so.  Mad Max 2 was the first 'grown-up' film I ever saw, and made a ridiculously deep impact on me.  (If you'd known 'Mad Mike', my private imaginary nuclear-wasteland-dwelling alter-ego, you'd think twice before messing with me, I'll tell you.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JamesC

Just to make my point clear regarding the[spoiler] shotgun to Nux's wrist[/spoiler].

In Mad Max, the guy at the end is someone that Max hates. It's someone that he has a legitimate reason to punish. The justice system has collapsed so he takes it upon himself.

In Mad Max 2 it's made explicitly clear that Humungous's forces are the baddies. They are shown killing and raping innocent people. There's no real moral dilemma presented to the viewer over how the baddie forces are treated at the end of the film.

In Thunderdome things are made more complex. Blaster is shown to be an exploited innocent, incapable of understanding his place in the wider society.
This theme is continued in Fury Road. [spoiler]Nux, and by extension the rest of the War Boys, are also exploited innocents. They have no understanding of the wider world or of the society that Max remembers. This makes the prospect of Max shooting off Nux's hand as horrific as if if he had smashed Blaster's head with that big hammer.[/spoiler] Yet he almost did.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 May, 2015, 05:45:39 PM
There are quite a few levels of comfort between being crushed to death by a brutal dictatorship and dying 'free' in a radioactive desert....

Granted. Things didn't work out too well for Furiosa's folk, but the refugees from Road Warrior and the children who set up in the ruins of Sydney after Thunderdome are all presumably doing okay for themselves.

I do know that Joe is essentially a nasty bastard, but I find it interesting to try to get into the headspace of someone who's signed up for his society (and going by the rationale that the baddie never considers themselves a baddie, presumably also how Joe rationalises his own actions.)
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 May, 2015, 09:02:14 PMThings didn't work out too well for Furiosa's folk, but the refugees from Road Warrior and the children who set up in the ruins of Sydney after Thunderdome are all presumably doing okay for themselves.

There's something I was wondering... is this a continuation of the events of Thunderdrome or is it a reboot?  Either way up I'm happy; Tom Hardy is a great Max (and a great pretty much every other character he plays too).  Also, it was set in Australia, wasn't it?  There were quite a few yank-ish accents in it, and it was hard to tell exactly what kind of accent Max had (not that he had a whole lot to say for himself, mind you).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Pyroxian

Professor Bear

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 May, 2015, 08:43:14 PM
Not sure I'd choose holding up a battered basin in a starving, fighting crowd

You don't understand, that is exactly the premise of trickle-down economics, or as it was called in the 1800s when it was thoroughly discredited, the "horse and sparrow" economy, because the basic premise is that the horse gets all the oats it wants and sooner or later it'll shit out an oat or two that it hasn't fully digested and the sparrows can fight over that.  In other words: trickle-down economics is literally a horseshit economic theory.

Quoteover turning on the taps and taking the odd trip to Lidl.

I'd sooner have the poxyclips than shop at Lidl.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 May, 2015, 09:21:39 PM
There's something I was wondering... is this a continuation of the events of Thunderdrome or is it a reboot?

From two different interviews with George Miller:

QuoteWhere does "Fury Road" sit in the timeline of the "Mad Max" films?

It's a bit complicated. The first film was a few years from now. "Road Warrior" was maybe 15 years later. This film is 45 years from now. This one happens in a more reduced landscape, where it's now treeless.

And:

QuoteIf this film had to be fit into the timeline of the other three films, where does it go?

It's not precise chronology, because I never intended for there to be, but after the last one. After Thunderdome.

Shortly after, not 30 years after?

Yeah, like James Bond. He doesn't get old over, what, half a century now? It's the same thing. To me, it all starts next Wednesday, when all the bad things we see in the news happen and stuff we never saw coming. Jump 45 or 50 years hence and all the coastal cities have been razed and there's been a migration into the center of this world. And a new type of human ecology with a dominance hierarchy ruled by the warlord that controls the resources.
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

Ok, I get you.  Thanks, Jimbo!  It's odd, the Max films always leapt forward dramatically in terms of apocalyptic-ness from film to film.  The first one didn't look a whole lot different from the area I grew up in; even though it's on the other side of the world.  Though there weren't quite as many anarchist mohawk bikers in Kells, County Meath in the 80s.

Hawkmumbler

I get the feeling a bit of time had past between Mad Max and Road Warrior, between which time's the apocalypse as TRUELY begun with the end of one war or another. Mad Max seem's to be a very unique film in that it's kind of a police force at the end of humanity story, before going full Death Wish.

ThryllSeekyr