Main Menu

John Wagner books from 80s and 90s etc?

Started by PsychoGoatee, 21 January, 2024, 02:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Curious if anyone has favs of Wagner's work for other publishers in the 80s and 90s, or anything since?

I've been meaning to read that Detective Comics run, though that's more Alan Grant I hear who is also a fav always.

Wonder if that The Crow: Dead Time that Wagner wrote is recommended?

Also have some Bogie Man on the shelf, and both Rok comics, Last American. Did read A History of Violence. Anything cool I've missed? I mention 80s and up since that interests me a bit more, but I know he did cool comics before that too.

13school

Wagner's Star Wars /  Boba Fett comics were pretty decent.

Did anyone ever read Chain Gang War?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 21 January, 2024, 02:56:57 AMI've been meaning to read that Detective Comics run, though that's more Alan Grant I hear who is also a fav always.

John rather famously packed it in after about four issues (because Detective was selling so badly when they were got the gig that there were no royalties on top of a fairly poor page rate*), but Alan left John's name on the scripts for the first year because he was worried that DC would boot him off the title if they thought they weren't getting the work of both the writers they hired.

DC needn't have worried, because the Grant/Breyfogle run is, rightly, regarded as a classic.

*And then the first Tim Burton Batman movie came out, and sales shot up to around 300,000 a month, peaking (IIRC) at 600,000 around the time of the Etrigan three-parter.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

WhizzBang

Quote from: 13school on 21 January, 2024, 05:36:08 AMDid anyone ever read Chain Gang War?

I did and it was very good. It could have been set in Mega City 1 as it is very much like a Dredd spin-off story.

nxylas

Check out the DC mini-series Outcasts by Wagner, Grant and Cam Kennedy if you haven't already. Also the creator-owned Bob The Galactic Bum, drawn by Carlos Ezquerra, and I think subsequently reprinted in the Meg.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: nxylas on 21 January, 2024, 04:27:40 PMCheck out the DC mini-series Outcasts by Wagner, Grant and Cam Kennedy if you haven't already.

Very 2000AD, that one. It's never been collected (as far as I know) but there's a complete run of all twelve issues on eBay for £18.00 right now, so it's not horribly expensive to acquire as single issues.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

rogue69

Quote from: nxylas on 21 January, 2024, 04:27:40 PMCheck out the DC mini-series Outcasts by Wagner, Grant and Cam Kennedy if you haven't already.

There was also the 1993 4 part series Lobo UnAmerican Gladiators where the Guys from Outcasts team up with Lobo with art from Simon Bisley

rogue69

He did two 3 part stories, The Crow City of Angels (with David Goyer, Dean Ormston &Phil Hester) & The Crow Dead Time (with James O'Barr, & Alex Maleev) for Top Dollar Comics/Kitchen Sink Press
Also For Dark Horse along side the Star Wars stories he wrote the 4 part story Aliens: Berserker (with Paul Mendoza & Andy Mushynsky) & Xena: Warrior Princess #1–8 (1999–2000): collected as The Warrior Way of Death (with Joyce Chin, Clint Hilinski, Mike Deodato & Ivan Reis), Slave (with Joyce Chin and Mike Deodato, Jr.) & Blood and Shadows (with Davide Fabbri & Mike Deodato)

PsychoGoatee

Cool, thanks! Chain Gang War does sound pretty good, that cover that says "say hello, gun" is really funny.