Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Sorry getting a little ahead of the posts here, but just started listening to Episode 98 and its absolutely fantastic stuff. Its so interesting hearing Fox's frustration at the current batch of stories. The juxtaposition of the jump in quality from what I think is the weakest of the original Robo-Hunter stories in 'Death of' to the joy of Skizz is just fascinating and kinda foreshadows the shift I suspect will come if you compare the quality of thrills over all in this batch and what will be coming shortly.

The shift in quality between say Prog 319 and Prog 335 is quite something to behold!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling ninety-eighth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 317-320 of 2000AD, covering May and June of 1983. Join us as Rogue Trooper remembers Milli-Comm, Dredd checks out Condos, and DR and Quinch have fun on Earth!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Also please start preparing your thrill circuits for our 100th episode, NEXT WEEK!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 May, 2018, 08:03:04 AM
Sorry getting a little ahead of the posts here, but just started listening to Episode 98 and its absolutely fantastic stuff. Its so interesting hearing Fox's frustration at the current batch of stories. The juxtaposition of the jump in quality from what I think is the weakest of the original Robo-Hunter stories in 'Death of' to the joy of Skizz is just fascinating and kinda foreshadows the shift I suspect will come if you compare the quality of thrills over all in this batch and what will be coming shortly.

The shift in quality between say Prog 319 and Prog 335 is quite something to behold!

I do really think it's interesting how Robo-Hunter being kind of a bummer can bring the whole set of progs down. It really speaks to the importance of a good opening story! It's kind of a bummer to see Robo-Hunter in this decline, but 335 is on the horizon and I for one and super stoked!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

I honestly like this batch of progs.

The first time I read this Sam Slade story I had not yet read Verdus or Day of The Driods so this stepping back through Sam's history was not a problem for me. It may not be the greatest of the Robo Hunter cases but it is still Sam Slade and I enjoy him while I can.

I liked the Time Twisters too and with DR and Quinch being the obvious highlight.

The Stupid Gun was fun and could Condo be seen as an early attempt at a more Procedural Drama Dredd story? It is not a particularly memorable one but it works fine for me and has Ezquerra's art.

Rogue's memories give insight into the formative years of the GIs and that's a nice break from the usual Nu-Earth based stuff.

No need to say anything about Skizz since the praise is fairly unanimous on this one.

sheridan

Quote from: WhizzBang on 14 May, 2018, 05:21:19 PM

The first time I read this Sam Slade story I had not yet read Verdus or Day of The Driods so this stepping back through Sam's history was not a problem for me. It may not be the greatest of the Robo Hunter cases but it is still Sam Slade and I enjoy him while I can.

The Slaying of Slade was running in the first progs I ever read - with the first prog I bought being the last episode - also of Skizz - upsetting for me as it was one of the things that got me in to the prog!  Only a few weeks until 335 though, with one of the strongest line-ups there has ever been! I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that I wouldn't still be reading comics all these years later if it wasn't for the 1983 line-up in 2000AD!

SpaceSpinner2000

It's going to be a monster of a wrap up. Picking a bottom OR a top for that month will be a challenge!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling ninety-ninth episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1983 Sci-Fi Special of 2000AD. This is the fourth Dredd Annual, and once again we have Carlos Ezquerra drawing three new full color Dredd stories, as well as classic Dredd, some features, and another Jose Casanovas Max Normal.

This time I'm joined by Eamonn Clarke of the Mega City Book Club, who you surely know from around this forum!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 16 May, 2018, 10:20:53 PM
Quote from: WhizzBang on 14 May, 2018, 05:21:19 PM

The Slaying of Slade was running in the first progs I ever read - with the first prog I bought being the last episode - also of Skizz - upsetting for me as it was one of the things that got me in to the prog!  Only a few weeks until 335 though, with one of the strongest line-ups there has ever been! I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that I wouldn't still be reading comics all these years later if it wasn't for the 1983 line-up in 2000AD!

Stunned that Fox thought this same line-up was one of the weaker periods - but then I didn't like the first book of the Brutannia Chronicles (which seemed to garner heaps of acclaim) and have liked some of the later books more (when everybody else seems to be going off it).  (Hate the typeface for the cythrons though).

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 17 May, 2018, 05:15:02 AM

In our thrilling ninety-ninth episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1983 Sci-Fi Special of 2000AD. This is the fourth Dredd Annual, and once again we have Carlos Ezquerra drawing three new full color Dredd stories, as well as classic Dredd, some features, and another Jose Casanovas Max Normal.

This time I'm joined by Eamonn Clarke of the Mega City Book Club, who you surely know from around this forum!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Well I for one love it! And I'm not at all biased.

Podcasts collide as the skies turn red. Watch out if your name is Flash.

Pyroxian

Quote from: sheridan on 17 May, 2018, 01:02:01 PM
Stunned that Fox thought this same line-up was one of the weaker periods - but then I didn't like the first book of the Brutannia Chronicles (which seemed to garner heaps of acclaim) and have liked some of the later books more (when everybody else seems to be going off it).  (Hate the typeface for the cythrons though).

I can see his point though - Dredd is good, but can't hold a candle to the Apocalypse War, which was only a couple of months ago, and Robo Hunter is definitely on a bit of a decline (although it does pick up after this IMO). I'd still say each prog is a solid 4.5 / 5 though :)

Leigh S

I suspect reading in real time as us old timers did vs the condensed reading for the podcast hasnt helped these stories - I was surprised how vexed Fox was, but it does make sense when a story (or stories) are underperforming from previous high peaks... I always think the balance of more Alan Moore more than makes up for a few semi sluggish Grover scripts, and with the return of Pat at his finest and Stront at HIS finest.... hang in there our (non robot) pal!

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 17 May, 2018, 09:44:14 PM
... I always think the balance of more Alan Moore more than makes up for...

You only said that so you could get more/Moore three times in four words, right?

Leigh S

Quote from: sheridan on 17 May, 2018, 10:26:45 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 17 May, 2018, 09:44:14 PM
... I always think the balance of more Alan Moore more than makes up for...

You only said that so you could get more/Moore three times in four words, right?

busted!

Dandontdare

I didn't get the reference to Ron Smith and "that thing with the clock"  :-*

SpaceSpinner2000

One thing I've heard a lot about Ron Smith was that he'd figure out how much his paycheck worked out for to allow his to work a reasonable work week, and then he'd divide that evenly over each page he worked on, literally setting an alarm clock for each page, and once it went off that page was done. I'm not sure how real that, but I've heard it several times.

To me this feels like people are accusing him of being lazy or something, which to me isn't really borne out by the level of detail and amount of stuff going on in them, you know?