Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 05 June, 2017, 03:25:41 PM
American Gods

This is fantastic and certainly breeches so many TV boundaries with lots of nudity including erect penises. Swear words aplenty too but more than that it's a brilliant realisation of a very good book.
Only 2 episodes in but I am loving this.
Like Twin Peaks but with cock and fanny.

Only seen the first episode (TBF;TL) but I think I'll be watching it on my own because Mrs. Tips has an aversion to extreme gore.  I thought we'd get away with it in the Viking segment (the porcupine victim being almost goreless) but then the Odinisation of the crew happened then the full on hack and slash and then she was tutting through the remainder of the show.

But I loved it!

I think I've read a short story (in the Trigger Warning collection) but other than that, this is all new to me. So looking forward to more.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

CrazyFoxMachine

American Gods is uneven but compelling - some of it is really remarkable but you can feel the source material being padded. [spoiler]The episode where they basically re-told the death of his wife and added nothing felt so profoundly like treading water that I (for want of a better word) lost faith in it a little -
but the one after that was very strong. I think it's better when its moving forward[/spoiler] and there are enough very DIFFERENT sequences to make it worth watch. I mean that Djinn sequence... who has seen ANYTHING else like that on telly. Crikey.

Anyhow - Lady Geoffery and I are perpetually working through a big backlog of DVD/Blu-Ray purchases and we've just started on a massive Peep Show boxset. I was holding off on buying any of it until it had finished for definite and I don't regret it. That first series is tonally fairly different from the others - quite gritty even. Brilliant TV though it's easy to see why it went on so long after that - it's a shock to see Mitchell & Webb so young indeed LG posited that she was 13 when it was on TV and wasn't allowed to watch it :O Looking forward to wading through the rest of it over the next few weeks!

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Mr Robot.

Good background t.v. I'm finding it hard to care about the characters but the tech stuff is fun to watch.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 10 June, 2017, 09:41:10 AM

Anyhow - Lady Geoffery and I are perpetually working through a big backlog of DVD/Blu-Ray purchases and we've just started on a massive Peep Show boxset. I was holding off on buying any of it until it had finished for definite and I don't regret it. That first series is tonally fairly different from the others - quite gritty even. Brilliant TV though it's easy to see why it went on so long after that - it's a shock to see Mitchell & Webb so young indeed LG posited that she was 13 when it was on TV and wasn't allowed to watch it :O Looking forward to wading through the rest of it over the next few weeks!

I did all 9 (?) seasons of Peep Show recently as it was on Amazon Prime or Netflix (can't remember which one).
Loved it. Had only seen 1 or 2 episodes before. And you're right, it was very dark at times.

Michael Knight

Watching Glen A. Larsons 'The Highway Man' starring Sam 'Flash Gordon' Jones via an unofficial Dvd boxset I managed to track down.
Have to say I'm enjoying it as much as when I a kid watching it with my late beloved Dad. Pure Nostalgia. The show was an interesting mix of Knightrider, Airwolf and Mad Max I kid you not.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 11 June, 2017, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 10 June, 2017, 09:41:10 AM

I did all 9 (?) seasons of Peep Show recently as it was on Amazon Prime or Netflix (can't remember which one).

It's all up for free on the All4 app - I did the whole run of Peep Show on my phone over a long series of lunch hours  - likewise Green Wing (as good as I remembered), Fresh Meat and Uncle (these two had completely passed me by, but were very entertaining despite disappointing endings for both); Fleabag (sheer filthy genius) and a whole heap of episode ones that made me want to grind my face off.

Ironically, my actual box sets still gather dust - there WILL be a time when I watch Breaking Bad and catch up with Game of Thrones. But I can do that any time...

radiator

I love season 1 of Peep Show - to me it's the darkest and most uncomfortably close to the bone (the one where Mark has a nervous breakdown is an especially bleak watch), but if I'm recommending the show to people (especially Americans) I tend to recommend people skip it and start with season 2 which is much more accessible.

Rara Avis

Aloha Chaps!

I am loving American Gods but I think after only (!!!) eight episodes it's finished for the first season. I will be looking forward to it's return.

Anyone watching The Handmaid's Tale? This is some amazing tv right here, anyone else spot Margaret Atwood's cameo in the second episode? Absolutely loving this, Elizabeth Moss is amazing as Offred / June.

Also finally got around to watching both season of Gomorra. I had been warned it was one of the bext tv shows of recent times and it definitely lived up to the hype. [spoiler]How does Ciro keep getting away with it?[/spoiler]

I finally got around to watching Taboo as well. Holy moly that Tom Hardy can act. He is a delight to the senses.

If you're not watching The Leftovers then you should be. This is seriously one of the best, if not *the* best tv show on at the moment. They have just finished the 3rd and what some are saying is the last season. It's weird and wonderful. Get on this buzz now.

Also watched but did not love The Young Pope. Jude Law is amazing in it but it just didn't grab me.

Anyway GoT back in the next few weeks ... get extremely f**king hype!

Smith

I started Dead Like Me.Im really digging it so far.
Finished Kamen Rider Agito.It was great,I have to say.If I had to nitpick,the middle part gets a bit slow and the final battle is a bit anti-climatic.But that appears to be a constant for early 2000 KR shows,so what can you do?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Smith on 08 July, 2017, 05:35:29 PM
Finished Kamen Rider Agito.It was great,I have to say.If I had to nitpick,the middle part gets a bit slow and the final battle is a bit anti-climatic.But that appears to be a constant for early 2000 KR shows,so what can you do?

You hit it. Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Fiez and Blade all suffer from the same sluggish second and third acts, it's like following Ishinomori's death the series just needed that 5 year period to get their heads around where to go and the constant shift in head directors and supervisors didn't help. Getting Hidinori Ishida on for Hibiki turned the franchise around and produced 10 years of solid material from Hibiki all the way through to Gaime.

Kabuto is particular stands up really well, and screw what everyone says, Keiva and W are awesome.

CrazyFoxMachine

I went majestically from watching the grimdarkly flat "Fearless" on ITV (directed by Dredd's Pete Travis) to watching Charlie Brooker's glorious first "A Touch of Cloth" which still functions five years on as a magically stoopid antidote to those sorts of relentlessly unfun primetime British crime dramas. Worth a look to those who've never heard of it!

Smith

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 09 July, 2017, 01:10:35 PM
Quote from: Smith on 08 July, 2017, 05:35:29 PM

You hit it. Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Fiez and Blade all suffer from the same sluggish second and third acts, it's like following Ishinomori's death the series just needed that 5 year period to get their heads around where to go and the constant shift in head directors and supervisors didn't help. Getting Hidinori Ishida on for Hibiki turned the franchise around and produced 10 years of solid material from Hibiki all the way through to Gaime.

Kabuto is particular stands up really well, and screw what everyone says, Keiva and W are awesome.
Im going to have to rewatch the Agito/Ryuki crossover now.And working backwards Kuuga is next.If I manage to find it.Meanwhile...Ultraman Ginga.Which seems kinda childish.Yes,kids are the intended audience,I know.

Theblazeuk

I really am not enjoying American Gods. It's just... boring me. That saxophone keeps playing and it's become so noticeable it's almost a comedic sting for me now whenever it rises over another interminable scene.

Shame as I thought it had a lot of promise at first. I've been happy to accept the differences from the book* but it's a bit boring and messy where it deviates and not interesting enough when it sticks. Could of course watch Ian McShane indefinitely.

*I don't think focusing on Laura helps the story at all and I think it suffers for the removal of Mr Town etc  - the 'men in black' who were in vogue in the late 90s/early 2000s and acted as principal antagonists for Shadow. The trippy clockwork orange clowns don't quite cut it. Also [spoiler]the big CGI tree[/spoiler] attacking Shadow was naff and pointless.

The Legendary Shark

American Gods began very well for me (having not read the book) but seemed to fizzle out over the last two or three episodes.

Fargo Season 3, on the other hand, I found to be just as excellent as the previous series - remarkably consistent quality.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Quote from: Smith on 09 July, 2017, 06:10:05 PMIm going to have to rewatch the Agito/Ryuki crossover now.And working backwards Kuuga is next.If I manage to find it.

Toku is well-served via fansubbing sites who often do a better job subtitling than Western publishers do - but for the love of God don't go near their forums.  If fansubber torrents aren't being seeded, you can usually find old KR shows on Youtube, downloadable through a Firefox plugin if you want to put them on a media player rather than streaming them.

I'm not sold on a lot of the post-Ishinomori KRs, as they often get a bit ropey the more they shift from drama to comedy to appeal to younger audiences, becoming all but indistinguishable from Super Sentai when the properties finally begin to crossover.
Den O was where the franchise started to become less griim and more light-hearted, so it's the Marmite show of that era, but stick with it as it gets surprisingly dark towards the end, a trick tried by some of the shows that came after it to varying degrees of success.  W is where things start to get really silly, but it's also the first KR to continue the Showa-era timeline that supposedly ended with Agito, so might be of some interest to you.  I gave up on Drive, Gaim, 000, and Wizard, but Decade and Fourze were ace, even if Fourze was really, really kiddified and Decade was both truncated and ends on a cliffhanger.  Kiva has a good hook (it's two separate KR shows taking place 20 years apart), Hibiki has a good heart (draws heavily on shounen drama), but Kabuto (a Kamen Rider with super-speed) is probably my fave - I'm still waiting for The Flash to do half the cool stuff Kabuto managed to do in its first six episodes, and Souji Tendou proves that a series lead doesn't have to be likeable to be compelling (and the opening episode does a great fake-out with Kagami, the POV character, making you think he's going to be the lead rather than the insufferably arrogant jackass who eventually dons the KR armor).