Main Menu

Late Shift - a triumphant return of the FMV genre?

Started by Pop Culture Bandit, 02 May, 2017, 03:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pop Culture Bandit

I have a soft spot for the age of full-motion video (FMV) in PC titles during the mid-nineties. Games like Black Dahlia, Phantasmagoria and 7th Guest were brilliant immersive experiences, blending cinema and videogames together. This latest title, Late Shift, from Ctrl Movie takes the idea further creating a genuine interactive movie with seven different endings that feels like a 'choose your own adventure' book. It's a really good storyline that is made even more enjoyable by the fact that you can alter events based on your choices.

I had great fun playing this with my girlfriend over the weekend, although both of us failed to get a happy ending for the main character - it's available for download on PS4, Xbox One, Steam and iTunes, and is well worth it as an alternative to the weekend movie rental!

Full Review here - http://popculturebandit.com/2017/05/02/late-shift/

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

As a console gamer of the 90's my experience with FMV games was limited to Fox Hunt and The X-files Game

Although I must say those screenshots are very professional looking... and the steam reviews are all reall great. I'm gonna be cautious and wait for the next Steam Sale.

Pop Culture Bandit

Ahhh, the X-Files Game! I have found memories of that one. Might have to see if I can get a copy from somewhere to replay it! Never heard of Fox Hunt, i'll have to have a google.

It's definitely worth checking out Late Shift - it's worth about the same cost to rent (or buy) a movie and it should be treated more as an interactive film than a game in its own right.

PsychoGoatee

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I love FMV games. Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect was a great new one from a couple years ago, sequel to a classic 90s series.

Taryn Tailz

There was a recent FMV game set in a post-apocalyptic Britain called 'The Bunker', which featured the acting talents of one of the dwarves from The Hobbit and one of the witches from Penny Dreadful. (Though I'm sure they go by other names. :P )

It's actually a pretty decent little game, if anyone's interested in checking it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6HsAzgQ1k

sheridan

Quote from: Pop Culture Bandit on 25 May, 2017, 02:09:10 PM
Ahhh, the X-Files Game! I have found memories of that one. Might have to see if I can get a copy from somewhere to replay it! Never heard of Fox Hunt, i'll have to have a google.

Fox Hunt sounds like a sequel to X-Files, where you have to search for Mulder.