Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Territorial behaviour isn't limited just to animals. Humans are territorial Apes in disguise so inevitably any implied loss of territory is less resources coming to your tribe and your descendents. One group will apparently gain territory while the other group feels it's losing some.

Add in Race and you've got tension and uncertainty not stability this in the middle of the worst economic downturn since the second world war. This expresses itself as 'social sniping' ie: making derogatory remarks about the other groups claim so you can reinforce your position as the sensible one.

I see the dislocation of the Union as inevitable because as all things it was of it's time created for another purpose. Those times have long gone and no amount of harking on about tradition will change that now.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 26 May, 2012, 03:19:31 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 May, 2012, 06:39:52 PM
I'd like to cordially extend one million fuck offs to those Moms.

Why?  Isn't their point of view as valid as anyone else's, or does that only apply to those of a liberal disposition, I for one wholeheartedly agree with them, kids read comics to be entertained and, like it or not, do form opinions based on what they read and see, and while Marvel have a first amendment right to print what they like (within the law), the One Million Moms also have that same God-given right to speak up when they feel someone's pushing a radical political agenda down their kids' throats, more power to 'em I say and long may they continue...

No one said they couldn't express what they felt but I see nothing radical about what DC/Marvel are doing -being gay is as old as mankind itself, it's just that some people can't get over that fact of life- other than selling comics to a current audience.

I think the most tormented individuals tend to be those who feel thay are not allowed to admit their real sexuality because of the dictats of a socially conservative church. The hypocritical and compulsively dishonest sociopath Ted Haggard (real person) would be one of the worst role models for any young mind to be exposed to, Northstar (fictional) hasn't a patch on him.

Anyone who believes being aware of homosexuality from a young age makes you homosexual is seriously stupid. No more than being aware of football makes you a footballer.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteWhy?  Isn't their point of view as valid as anyone else's, or does that only apply to those of a liberal disposition

Nobody's point of view is invalid.  It doesn't mean I have to agree with it, or like it. Personally my issue with groups like One Million Moms goes beyond what they say about Marvel Comics.  My problem is with comments like this:

QuoteThese companies are heavily influencing our youth by using children's superheroes to desensitize and brainwash them in thinking that a gay lifestyle choice is normal and desirable. As Christians, we know that homosexuality is a sin

I don't see it as a free speech issue - anyone can express any opinion they like as far as I'm concerned - but I reserve the right to take exception to agendas, for example an agenda that seeks to demonise gay people for trying to live their lives in peace without harming anyone.  Unless my knowledge of the subject is wrong, homosexuals are genetically predisposed to be that way, and the spread the idea that such people are sinful and abnormal is a concept that irritates me a lot (as does, say, the concept of legally stoning adulteresses to death in certain other cultures. In many people's opinion, this is perfectly acceptable, but I am opposed to the practice).  Hence my 'one million fuck offs' - a bit facetious,maybe, but i do not like to see bigots trying influence the workings of society.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

If they can't have tolerance for gays in life, and in art/commerce, they aren't serving their constitution very well. They can say what they want, doesn't mean it should be governmental or artistic policy and since this is more an issue of medieval religious belief, what does it have to do with the law or the government, whatever happened to the separation of church and state?

Isn't that one of the great things about the US constitution?

Protection of the voice/right of minorities: gays, race, religious belief, but none having a say over how the other should live their lives as long as it doesn't interfere with anybody else's choice?

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 May, 2012, 08:41:17 PM
Isn't that one of the great things about the US constitution? Protection of the voice/right of minorities: gays, race, religious belief, but none having a say over how the other should live their lives as long as it doesn't interfere with anybody else's choice?

Fuck me, this is inspirational stuff, Lads.

I'm picturing Obama in a three-way with Thoreau and Walt Whitman, with the Bill of Rights as a duvet. As Betsy Ross rhythmically tugs Old Glory up the flag pole, Walt shoots his creamy load in the face of The Commander In Chief and Thoreau furiously pumps a clenched fist in and out of Hussein's Castro Street exit; a visibly delighted Mapplethorpe capturing the moment for posterity in a blizzard of popping flash bulbs.

Soundtrack: Lady Ga Ga's Born This Way and C & C Music Factory. God Bless America.

JOE SOAP

Frank

Roger Godpleton

He's barely even that weirdo who does Fifteen shades of Grey.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

Bikini Kill's 'Fuck me' comment is a bit over the top. Rolling up everything the American right disapproves of into one - admittedly spectacular - vignette doesn't prove anything, but it does make the right look a bit ridiculous and, dare I say it, preoccupied.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 May, 2012, 08:09:02 PM
Unless my knowledge of the subject is wrong, homosexuals are genetically predisposed to be that way

Actually, there is no conclusive proof that same-sex attraction is genetically predisposed. There is, as yet, no confirmation of the existence of a 'gay gene.' I know many gays would like there to be one because it would be a biological vindication of their sexual orientation, and many anti-gays (call them fascists, if you will) would like there to be a gay gene because then you could test for it or eliminiate it.

My own view is it shouldn't matter a jot whether gayness is 'caused' by genes or other biological or non-biological factors. It's a fact of life that some people are sexually attracted to people of the same sex as them, and, quite frankly, no-one has any business objecting to that.
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

There should be a cure for choosing to live in Wales.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: House of Usher on 26 May, 2012, 09:56:45 PM

Actually, there is no conclusive proof that same-sex attraction is genetically predisposed.

My own view is it shouldn't matter a jot whether gayness is 'caused' by genes or other biological or non-biological factors. It's a fact of life that some people are sexually attracted to people of the same sex as them, and, quite frankly, no-one has any business objecting to that.

Yep, don't give a flying-fuck if it's genetic, caused by a wonky morphic field or a stroke. I think the gay lobby limit themselves clinging on to science to justify their right to be, what if it's disproven? That's a lot of spin gone down with a ship full of seamen.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 26 May, 2012, 10:01:01 PM
There should be a cure for choosing to live in Wales.

There is, it's called being Irish.

judgefloyd

what's wrong with choosing to live in Wales? I've never been there myself.

HoU's words are pretty sane and sensible.  Objecting to the 'normalisation' onof homosexuality begs the question of what exactly the objectors would like instead of such normalisation - ostracism? outlawing it completely? don't-ask-don't-tell as some kind of national legal policy?  They don't say, which seems a bit dishoingenuous.

House of Usher

Quote from: judgefloyd on 26 May, 2012, 10:09:29 PM
what's wrong with choosing to live in Wales? I've never been there myself.

It's me. I live in Wales. By choice.
STRIKE !!!

JOE SOAP

Once read a report about a man with dissociative identity disorder -multiple personalities- one of his personalities was gay -sexually active- while the rest were straight -also sexually active- that throws up all sorts of questions.