Main Menu

Prog 0 - AD2000

Started by Richard, 02 October, 2021, 01:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

My subscribers' copy of Prog 0 arrived today! It's quite nice. It's slightly bigger than today's size prog, and has glossy paper all the way through. Inside the cover Tharg explains that this is the 1976 dummy for what became 2000AD, and compares its contents with the final line-up in prog 1.

That's almost the only text in the comic, since the dummy didn't bother with lettering except the titles. But it's actually nice to see the art on its own. It starts with Invasion 1988, as it was originally called, then Harlem Heroes, then Shako!

Then there is a colour double-page spread of Dan Dare (not by Bellardinelli). Then there's MACH 1, which has the same level of violence that got Action cancelled. It's all rounded off by The Visible Man, where the last panel of the story takes up the entire back cover as he reacts to his invisible skin -- my favourite illustration in the comic!

This was a great idea, and I'm glad it was done properly: full size and quality paper. Thanks Tharg!

Leigh S

Can't wait to get mine!

I'm intrigued as to the "authenticity" of this - I've seen mock ups of this using the known material that was due to be used, but I'm hoping this is not so much guess work as it is a straight reproduction of the existing copy of the mock up

Colin YNWA

Well I wasn't expecting that! I'm a double sub but get the Meg digitally so when opening what I thought was this weeks Prog I was at first surprised as it seemed bigger than expected ... then to my surprise I realised it was Prog 0!

As Richard says its a really, really nice product. Oversized, nice paper and looks pretty much spot on. Absolutely chuffed to have this, so much so that I've not even thought of the disappointment of it not being a Saturday Prog.

THANK YOU THARG!

dweezil2

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 October, 2021, 03:55:05 PM
Well I wasn't expecting that! I'm a double sub but get the Meg digitally so when opening what I thought was this weeks Prog I was at first surprised as it seemed bigger than expected ... then to my surprise I realised it was Prog 0!

As Richard says its a really, really nice product. Oversized, nice paper and looks pretty much spot on. Absolutely chuffed to have this, so much so that I've not even thought of the disappointment of it not being a Saturday Prog.

THANK YOU THARG!

I'm only a single subbed to The Megazine so didn't expect this to see this at all, but I'm most grateful that I did!!!
Thanks Thargy baby!!!!!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

This is as good a place as anywhere to share this I guess. Its not the Prog 0 but I was at a nerd fair today and stumbled across this lovely little thing

Now I 'have' this in the Progs but for some reason I was very excited to have it all folded properly and done right without having to cut up my Progs. I mean for 75p (with a Judge Dredd Chocolate candy stick wrapper that had been lovingly removed) who wouldn't!

Richard

Can you remind us which progs that was in please?

Colin YNWA

It was in a few Progs, I thought wrongly, straight after the Starlord merge, but was a tiny bit later in issues 96-99 (or there abouts)

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=96

There's a gold mind of free gifts for Tharg to mine here, printing copies of this type of thing, stuff like Cursed Earth game etc.

oshii

My copy of prog 0 is missing the free scale model of interest stellar fighter Daredevil 3.  Sort it out Rebellion!

Being serious, I think this is the nicest subscriber gift I've seen.  I'm not really one for branded t shirts, badges or notebooks, but this is right up my street.  A really lovely idea.

My only problem now  is do I file it in the box with progs 1-100 or in the Sci Fi Specials and Starlord and Diceman box?

dweezil2

Quote from: oshii on 03 October, 2021, 09:10:06 AM
My only problem now  is do I file it in the box with progs 1-100 or in the Sci Fi Specials and Starlord and Diceman box?

If we're classing this as an official Prog, then I'd say file it before Prog 1!   :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Barrington Boots

Got my copy today as well, it seems Tharg is confident I'll be renewing my sub in a couple of months time.

As others have said this is great: lovely oversized art and just a really cool little subscriber incentive. Nice one Tharg!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Agreed. This is one of the best subscriber gifts 2000 AD has done—a lovely thing for collectors, and an interesting curio for everyone.

rogue69

Have to say it looks far too glossy, shame they couldn't do it on the old style bog paper to give it that classic look.
Still the best free gift so far

Tjm86

Well, it turned up today so colour me surprised.  This is the first subscriber gift I've actually received in quite a while.

In all honesty there is nothing new here.  It reprints material that has seen print in Bishop's tomes. 

That is not to decry it mind.  Having it as a standalone does make a difference, not to mention the size by comparison with what we've seen in print to date.

Tidy!

Leigh S

When I chaased up my badges from last year the other week, they told me the sub gift system hs been automated, so perhaps this is the beginning of a New Age of stress free subs gifts!

Tiplodocus

Double digital which for some reason means I don't get gifts.

Have I mentioned that before?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!