Main Menu

Free Comic Book Day 2023

Started by rogue69, 17 November, 2022, 10:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

The list of comics for next years Free Comic Book Day with 44 comics available next year including Rebellion's 2000AD Regened Presents: The Best Comic Ever

https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Article/265288-Full-Line-Up-of-FCBD-2023-Comic-Books-Announced

Link Prime

Lionel Hutz may have a slam dunk on his hands judging by the cover.

Richard

Glad to see it has Pandora Perfect in it, and is that Full Tilt Boogie too?

O Lucky Stevie!

Oh boy. The "What about the subscribers?" mob are going to go futsie when they hear this.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Tjm86

Not sure why given that FCBD has never been offered to subscribers at any level.  Normally the issue is over promo stuff that is only for certain groups of subscribers.  TBF the last few years Rebellion has been much fairer to different subscriber groups.

As for the FCBD prog, given that so much of it is often reprint material and it is fairly easy to get a copy for a reasonable price online it isn't really an issue.  Will see what they do but since I'm not really part of the target market for this, I'm not too worried.  Hope it does go down well with newer readers.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 19 November, 2022, 01:27:44 PM
Not sure why given that FCBD has never been offered to subscribers at any level.

Because the entire point of FCBD is to get people to go into comic shops...? That's literally the reason it exists — if you can get a copy without going into a comic shop, it defeats the purpose of supporting FCBD in the first place.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

I think he was replying to the previous post, hence the "given that..."

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 November, 2022, 01:54:30 PM
Not sure why given that FCBD has never been offered to subscribers at any level.

Because the entire point of FCBD is to get people to go into comic shops...? That's literally the reason it exists — if you can get a copy without going into a comic shop, it defeats the purpose of supporting FCBD in the first place.

Not to mention the fact that FCBD books are by FCBD themselves, not the participating publishers such as Rebellion.

Quote from: Richard on 19 November, 2022, 02:05:10 PM
I think he was replying to the previous post, hence the "given that..."

My point was an observation on the apparent overlap on the Venn diagram containing sets of those subscribers who decry, "Why don't subscribers receive the FCBD special?" & those who bemoan, "Why is my subscription being used to subsidise four Regened progs a year?"

Next year they ought not to have any cause to bemoan FCBD, will they?  😉

Personally, I think that the choice of going with Regened for FCDB 2023 is a brilliant idea.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

broodblik

For me the more frustrating thing is that FCBD does not exists where I stay, so I never have access to the material. I ask once if it could be made at least digitally available and I was told it is a contractual issue. The point of FCBD is for you to visit your local comic shop.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 November, 2022, 01:54:30 PM
Not sure why, given that FCBD has never been offered to subscribers at any level.

Sorry Jim, there was a comma missing from that sentence that changed the meaning.  I meant to question why subscribers might go bonkers over FCBD for pretty much the same sort of reason you make.  My apologies there.

I wonder how much good it is going to do this side of the pond though given the scale of the Cost of Living Crisis and the decimation of the GBP/USD exchange rate in the last decade (and since that curious date mid-decade that we are apparently not allowed to talk about ...). 

I doubt I'm alone in having given up on American comics due to the insane cost per issue now.  Nearly had a heart attack when I did get into one the other day and saw what the current price is ...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 November, 2022, 07:30:36 AM
Sorry Jim, there was a comma missing from that sentence that changed the meaning.  I meant to question why subscribers might go bonkers over FCBD for pretty much the same sort of reason you make.  My apologies there.

No worries — my apologies if my reply seemed overly combative. It wasn't intended to, nor was it even particularly directed at you, just that quoting your post enabled me to address the point which you highlighted, and which seems to come up every year with (to borrow the best line in the otherwise terrible Bond movie Moonraker) the tedious inevitability of an unloved season. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Lawman of the Present

They do promote FCBD near me but it's become such a pain to get to that it's easier to buy the books I want online. A couple hours time aside, it would cost more to get to the comic stores and back, plus they tend to offer the books as mystery bags with no guarantee you'll get the one you want. Understanding of course that FCBD isn't exactly intended for existing readers.

Gotta say I'm not personally a fan of this new iteration of Harlem Heroes. Not into sports in general but I did really enjoy the original run for it's focus on values of camaraderie, teamwork and good sportsmanship. Perhaps it's the lengthier stories but in the OG I knew all the characters and their personalities, and the journey to winning the Aeroball championship took time/effort and meant something as a result.

All of this seems absent from the new iteration. I get that it targets a different audience but I feel no connection to Jem Giant and the team, and the tales are over so rapidly that there's no sense of tension/conflict. Kind of "we played, we won, we're the best, the end". Rather than the more humble Giant Sr, Jem comes across quite arrogant but his traits aren't explored in any depth. Limitations of the format perhaps.

BPP

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 19 November, 2022, 07:13:50 AM
Oh boy. The "What about the subscribers?" mob are going to go futsie when they hear this.

I think the subscribers will, largely, be happy it's a re-gene'd and not give a toot about missing it.

That's certainly my feeling.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Magnetica

Quote from: Lawman of the Present on 20 November, 2022, 06:04:42 PM

Gotta say I'm not personally a fan of this new iteration of Harlem Heroes. Not into sports in general but I did really enjoy the original run for it's focus on values of camaraderie, teamwork and good sportsmanship. Perhaps it's the lengthier stories but in the OG I knew all the characters and their personalities, and the journey to winning the Aeroball championship took time/effort and meant something as a result.

All of this seems absent from the new iteration. I get that it targets a different audience but I feel no connection to Jem Giant and the team, and the tales are over so rapidly that there's no sense of tension/conflict. Kind of "we played, we won, we're the best, the end". Rather than the more humble Giant Sr, Jem comes across quite arrogant but his traits aren't explored in any depth. Limitations of the format perhaps.

What am I missing - what new iteration of Harlem Heroes?

Lawman of the Present

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 December, 2022, 03:44:14 PM
What am I missing - what new iteration of Harlem Heroes?

There have been a couple single-part stories included as exclusives in the Regened Vols 3-4 trades. As per the stories Aeroball makes a comeback in the Meg and a new team led by Jem Giant - descendant of John Clay and presumably cousin to Giant Jr. - takes on the championship.