Main Menu

The big fat COLOURING thread

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 16 May, 2012, 09:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Quote(if it looks rough at all please remember to bear in mind that each page was done in a single night!)

Never ever say this! If you said that when showing your portfolio you would be sent packing (probably with your portfolio wedged up your bottom).

Anyway, don't panic - it's fooking lovely!
I know I'll be buying it :)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

mygrimmbrother

Thanks Steve and Davey :)

Davey - you're right, I shouldn't so that. I definitely wouldn't if showing my portfolio, suppose I just let my guard down on here at times - too naive!

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 24 June, 2012, 09:45:08 PM
Quote(if it looks rough at all please remember to bear in mind that each page was done in a single night!)

Never ever say this! If you said that when showing your portfolio you would be sent packing (probably with your portfolio wedged up your bottom).

WHY is that a bad thing to say - THAT came out of you in a single night?!?!? You're hired!

Darren Stephens

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 25 June, 2012, 09:20:33 AM
WHY is that a bad thing to say - THAT came out of you in a single night?!?!? You're hired!

Indeed. I can understand why you shouldn't say it. Sounds like an excuse for poor work that you are not happy with. This work, though.....amazing. Sumptuous! (first time I've ever typed the word "Sumptuous". You should feel proud!)  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Skullmo

When I first got access to a computer back in 1997 I tried out colouring. Of course I turned to 2000ad as my inspiration and coloured some of my favourite artists for practice. Here are a couple of the ones I did (I have lost most of them now).

Looking at these I think there would be a market for 'colorised' classic 2000ad.

It's a joke. I was joking.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: Skullmo on 26 June, 2012, 10:55:59 PM
When I first got access to a computer back in 1997 I tried out colouring. Of course I turned to 2000ad as my inspiration and coloured some of my favourite artists for practice. Here are a couple of the ones I did (I have lost most of them now).

Looking at these I think there would be a market for 'colorised' classic 2000ad.

There gorgeous, most definitely a market place for colourised old school 2000ad stuff. Id love to see Harlem Heroes (original) in colour.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

staticgirl

Yes me too. That's very impressive especially given that digital colouring was pretty much in its infancy then. Most professionals weren't getting results as good as that.

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah for '97 that's really good actually - I mean, if you look at some of the abhorrent prog colouring at the time this is comparatively a masterclass in subtlety. The first panel of the first one and the fourth panel of the second are particularly effective.

I used to practice on old prog pages when I first experimented with colouring - really not certain about the idea of them all being recoloured though. I don't mind say, Gary Caldwell on Hook Jaw recently in Strip - because there was a reason for that really - but recolouring all old progs could be considered a little gratuitous.

Jon

Hmm. It used to frustrate me when I was trying to collect old 2000AD reprints about - Jesus! - twenty-something years ago that they'd all been recoloured (first the Eagle reprints, then the erroneously named Quality Comics). I guess 'cos they were intended for the American market.

After something of a break I'm appreciating being able to pick up the various 'Files', etc reprints in their intended, glorious monochrome.

Nice colouring, though. I could imagine there's many a person less grumpy than me that would enjoy recoloured classics.

Skullmo

Alan Craddock (shudder)

I really hope they re-colour the Pit before they reprint it.

Thanks for the kind words. I got offered a colouring job with Sonic the Comic the week before they closed down.

CrazyFoxMachine

I wasn't going to mention Craddock but then you did.

OH MY GOD I JUST HAD A GREAT IDEA FOR A BOARD COMPETITION. Everyone gets a b/w page from the pit and re-colours it. It'd be fcking magic.

radiator

America 2 is in dire need of recolouring too.

CrazyFoxMachine

Sounds like we've got ourselves a challenge.... IMAGINE THE PIT WITH RADIATOR COLOURS

mhmm that's good readin'

Skullmo

I don't know why anyone thought those colours were a good idea.

Unfortunately I no longer have a computer that colours :(

flip-r mk2

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 29 June, 2012, 06:41:35 PM
Sounds like we've got ourselves a challenge.... IMAGINE THE PIT WITH RADIATOR COLOURS

mhmm that's good readin'

I think you've got a winning idea there CFM.
Here's a page from the prog I coloured with drawing inks.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana