Main Menu

Dia Dhaoibh!

Started by Aonghus, 20 March, 2012, 08:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aonghus

How are ye chaps :)

My name's Aonghus (as is my screenname; I'm going through a bit of a literal phase these days). I'm a male-type person, Irish, a long-time lurker, and intermittent Prog reader since about 1336, having renewed my vows to Tharg this year. I'm looking forward to wasting many happy hours here!

maryanddavid

How do, unusual to see a bit of gaelic as a thread title.
A good time to be rejoining the folD, its pretty good at the min.
What parts are you from?

David

JOE SOAP

Quote from: maryanddavid on 20 March, 2012, 08:59:31 PM
How do, unusual to see a bit of gaelic as a thread title.

Gaeilge. I know, shoot me.

and how'ya Aonghus.

maryanddavid

Where's me cartridges when I need them!

JOE SOAP

Buried with da spuds behind the Constitution and da pictures of the Pope & JFK.

Jared Katooie

Don't youse be portrayin' de Irish like dat in front of all dese Brits.

Charmed to make your acquaintance Aonghus. Hope to see you round the place.

Roger will no doubt be along to abuse you shortly. Most likely verbally.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 20 March, 2012, 10:09:17 PM
Roger will no doubt be along to abuse you shortly. Most likely verbally.

He can't even get a horn in his wheelchair these days so the verbal's all he's got left. Indulge him, kindly.

Minkyboy

Hallo, hallo, come in, don't stand there with the door open, you're letting all the heat out.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Aonghus

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

Joe, it is indeed Gaeilge, or Irish, and I appreciate the Christy Moore reference. I'll accept Gaelic though; better than calling the language Erse, which is knobbish and pointless and done only by my ex's father. It's my first language, in case anyone was wondering why the thread's named what it's named.

David, it is an EXCELLENT time to be rejoining the fold, as far as I can make out! I started buying the prog regularly again just as the latest installment of Low Life kicked off, and I just fell in love a little bit all over again. And I'm from Dublin, but so far out in the suburbs as to be nearly in the next county.

Minkyboy: ah thanks luv, sure it's only FREEZIN out there! D:

Any other Gaeilgeóirí about the place, or am I surrounded by Brits, Sassenachs, and other such eccentrics?

JOE SOAP

Erse is funnier but more a Scots word. Not a Gaeilgeóir or speaker of the cúpla focal meself, though I've worked on plenty of programmes in it and not understanding a word, so yes, I've had a solid and robust Irish education.

Beeks

Croeso..neis cwrdd a ti Aonghus  :)
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard, have fun.

klute

loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

TordelBack

Dia bhur mbeatha, a Aonghuis.

My son (5) now has better Irish than I do, which is to say 'some'.  I (supposedly) studied it for 14 years, and I can't even pronounce Sláine properly.  If  was able to say the same thing about Maths* or English, I'd be mortally ashamed.  As it is, I'm just mildly disappointed in myself.

*"I didn't think it too many?"

JayzusB.Christ

Be de hokey top o' de mornin' to ye. Tis a foine, foine messageboard, so it is, so it is.

Cead mile failte, dude, nice to have you on board
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"