Main Menu

'Red Fang', some brillant 'Dredd' and 'Shrink Rap'

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 December, 2009, 09:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well Diggle's reign got off to an interesting start. Ok so the new size isn't very good but the quality of the strips has been pretty good.

Red Fang is in so many ways a bit uninspiring. Its not particularly bad, but then nor is it that good. It had a couple of twists along the way kept it interesting, well interestingish. However having just got to the end I really want to read more. That was a great ending to a mediocre strip and I find myself wanting to know what happens next, as lets face it what happens when Phoenix gets out is a story worth telling, well it would be if the rest of the strip had been just a little better. Yeowell's art was of course superb as ever.

During this time (and to be fair throughout 2000s Prog's) Wagner's Dredds have been on fire. There been some nice little arcs but his done in ones have at times been some of the best I can remember. 'Someone in the house' (the couple waking up to find Dredd in the house and panicking) and 'Dinner at Shapiro's' (Parkhouse drawn Dredd again panicks some folks just by entering a building, this time a hottie house) are two fine examples. I don't often think to review Dredd's but they really have been superb of late (well in 2000) even by the strips own high standards.

Speaking of such things 'Sinister Dexter' has a particularly fine story in 'Shrink rap'. It has much in common with the best of Dredd. while its brillantly funny it has a dark, sad undercurrent running through it and the two elements are beauifully balanced.

All this and some good Steve Moore Future Shocks - nice to have it back.

Good start!

I, Cosh

Read Red Fang a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite Steve Moore's predilection for the double cross and the general amorality that pervades all his stories, I didn't see the final twist coming. For once, he had created something that could've supported more stories beyond the initial visit.

It's interesting that Tharg really clasped Moore to his verdant bosom at this point. The initial run of revitalised Future Shocks was dominated by his writing and he'd also just been given free reign on Tales of Telguuth. ToT is frustrating because individual stories are entertaining even though you know roughly what's going to happen, they had a lot of good art (particularly from Siku and Jon Haward) but it never seemed to want to take the extra step to start tying some of the strands together.
We never really die.

Trout

Colin YNWA

Quote from: King Trout on 14 December, 2009, 12:03:44 AM
Steve Yeowell can do no wrong.

Its fairly hard to argue with that sentiment and I've read 'Skrull Kill Krew'!